doing a second residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxsd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one is planning on doing a second residency to obtain duel boards in say FP and Psych. Does the intern year have to be repeated ? can you forgo the 4th year of Psych to being the first year of FP? If anyone has any insight as to how this may work - please share...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If one is planning on doing a second residency to obtain duel boards in say FP and Psych. Does the intern year have to be repeated ? can you forgo the 4th year of Psych to being the first year of FP? If anyone has any insight as to how this may work - please share...thanks

In most cases, intern year needs to be repeated.

No, you can't forgo the 4th year of psych.

My guess is that you may be able to do some fp electives during 4th year psych and get a few months credit towards an fp residency.

In most cases, intern year needs to be repeated.

No, you can't forgo the 4th year of psych.

My guess is that you may be able to do some fp electives during 4th year psych and get a few months credit towards an fp residency.

I thought that you didnt have to redo the internship year. But then again thats if your switching residencies right after the internship year. Maybe its different since its psych. I wonder if you would have to redo the internship year if you were doing it the other way around.

Members don't see this ad :)

Depending on how willing a program is to work with you, you should be able to get away with a max of three years of training. Training has to be done in 1 year segments; so unless your FP training included a lot of psych that was supervised by psychiatrists you will probably won't be able to get all the requirements done in 2 years. Here are the psych training regs:

http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/400_psychiatry_07012007_u04122008.pdf