Doing dermatology and going into beauty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oompa loompa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only applying to med school right now, so pardon my ignorance (and flakiness 😛)... but

One of my many recent dreams has been to become a dermatologist and go into the beauty industry. Someone like this:

http://www.alluringlooks.com/Contributorsnd.html

Now, if I want to do this, am I supposed to start establish connections w/ people in the beauty industry while I'm still in med school? Find and start shadowing dermatologists who are well-known in the beauty industry? Should I do an internship at a fashion/beauty magazines just to gain the exposure?

Thanks
 
I've actually never heard of the "beauty industry." This sound like 2 different pursuits you're interested in. Do you want to practice medicine or sell hairspray?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SO SUPERFICIAL. I think this is absolutely disgusting and sickening! This is exactly the reason why some other medical specialists don't take dermatologists seriously.

DISGUSTING I SAY! Why become a doctor if you want to become a beautician?! Beauticians do not treat human disease! More than likely, you're also in it for the $$$ and good hours too 👎

Dermatology is about treating people with real skin disease, such as psoriasis, acne vulgaris, PFB, etc, and helping them look as normal as possible. It's not about helping normal people look better.


oompa loompa said:
I only applying to med school right now, so pardon my ignorance (and flakiness 😛)... but

One of my many recent dreams has been to become a dermatologist and go into the beauty industry. Someone like this:

http://www.alluringlooks.com/Contributorsnd.html

Now, if I want to do this, am I supposed to start establish connections w/ people in the beauty industry while I'm still in med school? Find and start shadowing dermatologists who are well-known in the beauty industry? Should I do an internship at a fashion/beauty magazines just to gain the exposure?

Thanks
 
toofache32 said:
Do you want to practice medicine or sell hairspray?
Hell, don't go into medicine for money. Go and sell hair spray. My stepbrother is a milionaire and he sells hairspray!! 😀
As for Dermatologist, common skin disorder get treated by other primary doctors. So Derma guys do lots of plastic procedures like botox, removing moles etc to make more than other primary care docs...
 
what kind of a pious prick demands that one care about saving the poor, infirmed chronically disfigured and infected humans when considering derm?
the market for enhancement medicine is only going to increase- comprehensively across the entire medical field in fact-
and whether you call this a calling, career, occupation, whatever....
it's not above the marketplace, it's just a job, so get over yourselves.
 
Sancho said:
what kind of a pious prick demands that one care about saving the poor, infirmed chronically disfigured and infected humans when considering derm?
I'm not sure who you're talking about here.
 
Sancho said:
the market for enhancement medicine is only going to increase- comprehensively across the entire medical field in fact-
...and thus cheapen the field of medicine, right?
 
no comment directed at you toofache, that beer inspired comment was for keratosis unless he was doing some dry sardonic humor that I missed-don't want to start a fight about this though tosis-just seen a lot of self righteousness today so there is some displacement going on I'm sure.

about medicine being "cheapened", the only concern I have with the field is the possibility of declining reimbursements-
the question of caring about whatever degree of nobility people consider medicine to carry to me is folly
 
oompa loompa said:
I only applying to med school right now, so pardon my ignorance (and flakiness 😛)... but

One of my many recent dreams has been to become a dermatologist and go into the beauty industry. Someone like this:

http://www.alluringlooks.com/Contributorsnd.html

Now, if I want to do this, am I supposed to start establish connections w/ people in the beauty industry while I'm still in med school? Find and start shadowing dermatologists who are well-known in the beauty industry? Should I do an internship at a fashion/beauty magazines just to gain the exposure?

Thanks

The link that you listed that contain the dermatologist has a private practice and is just an advisor to this little group. I wouldn't consider her in the beauty industry. But I don't know why anyone would ever become a doctor to go into the beauty industry.. haha
 
I don't plan to get an MD *in order to* go into beauty. I just thought it'd be cool to do something w/ beauty as a supplement...something that'd add glamour (or what I see as glamour) to my work. Yeah, I AM superficial. I was simply wondering if people did this in dermatology, i.e. whether this combination "makes sense"

Anyway, once I actually go to medical school, maybe I"ll come back with a clearer sense of what I want to do and express it in a better way so as not to get so many people upset.
 
oompa loompa said:
I only applying to med school right now, so pardon my ignorance (and flakiness 😛)... but

One of my many recent dreams has been to become a dermatologist and go into the beauty industry. Someone like this:

http://www.alluringlooks.com/Contributorsnd.html

Now, if I want to do this, am I supposed to start establish connections w/ people in the beauty industry while I'm still in med school? Find and start shadowing dermatologists who are well-known in the beauty industry? Should I do an internship at a fashion/beauty magazines just to gain the exposure?

Thanks

Just do a derm residency and then open a private practice specializing in cosmetic derm, and hire cosmetologists, beauticians, whatever, to offer their services in your office as well. You can also sell skin products from your office and offer sunless tanning booths. I dont think you need connections - build it and they will come (in an affluent community of course).
 
You actually have to be very, very good looking yourself in order to go into the cosmetic dermatology field. I suggest you post your picture and let us do a student doctor poll.

Just kidding.

That is almost exactly what I want to do - help people look better. I guess it stems from my parents - doesn't it always? My mom is significantly overweight, doesn't do her hair, wear make-up, etc. She makes plenty of money yet looks like a bag-lady 99% of the time ... I think this is because we come from a culture where women are pretty worthless, once they have children and their husbands' eyes start wandering they let themselves go ...

I think that it would be very satisfying for me to treat patients, esp women, who have sacrified themselves in roles such as mother, wife, sister, daughter, in order to take care of others and have let their own appearance fall by the wayside. Granted, they chose that role but there are plenty of women who wake up one day with an empty nest and wrinkles and would like to do something about it. Diet and exercise only go so far when you're 50 and around menopause where weight loss is difficult.

Regardless of what anyone says ... we are an appearance based society with an extremely shallow value system - basically thin and young = worthy and fat and old = unworthy (esp for women). Fortunately, we have ways to make ourselves healthier through diet and exercise but unfortunately diet and exercise cannot erase sun damage or sagging skin.

I really can't see anything wrong with dedicating my life to helping people look better. Perhaps I'll work on a gentleman who worked outside in the sun doing manual labor all of his life to support his family and now his skin looks like a brown paper bag. If performing a cosmetic procedure makes him feel better about his appearance in old age or retirement then I'm going to do it. If I can give Botox to someone with chronic migraines and it relieves them of their pain, so sue me (or don't!). Giving a patient restylane in their naso-labial fold after a divorce when they are older and back on the market will not make me feel like Dr. Greedy or Demento.

However, the abuses of cosmetic surgery I will not tolerate. I will not blow anyone's lips up to elephant sized proportions or completely freeze their faces with botox. I will also remove moles and skin cancer, treat wounds and ulcers and diagnose systemic diseases.

It just seems like anytime looks and money are involved it pushes buttons. It just makes me laugh because very few of us will go into rural/underserved health and many of us will go on make a very good living in the top 5% of the world.
 
What a waste. 👎

Did you guys offer up these career plans when interviewing? Didn't think so.

Not only are you a bunch of shallow, disgusting, scourges of American society, but you are also deceitful liars.

Piss off.
 
Highway said:
What a waste. 👎

Did you guys offer up these career plans when interviewing? Didn't think so.

Not only are you a bunch of shallow, disgusting, scourges of American society, but you are also deceitful liars.

Piss off.


to whom exactly are you referring here because I've heard a variety of "career plans" in this thread
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad