Doing (EM) fellowship as peds resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjsson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI, there are two kind of fellowships for Pediatric Emergency Medicine, one for emergency residents (EM) and one for peds residents (PD).

Do you know how it works if you as a peds resident join a (EM) program? What is the difference between an (EM) and (PD) program? Is it harder to get into an (EM) program than a (PD) program as a peds resident?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is it harder to get into an (EM) program than a (PD) program as a peds resident?

I would say so.

You seem to misunderstand. You don't get to choose which PEM path to take after completing a Peds residency. You can only take the (PD) path.

Only Emergency Medicine residents can take the (EM) path.

Got it? :thumbup:

Only Emergency Medicine residents can take the (EM) path.

Hi you are wrong, see Mich U's program for example, it is an EM program according to Freida: .
University of Michigan Program Pediatric Emergency Medicine (EM)

If you go to their website, most of their fellows are peds trained. They have two tracks, one 2 year for emergency residents and one 3 yera for peds residents. Curriculum. Many (EM) programs seem to have that, but not all mention it.

So my question is, what is the difference between going to a dual track (EM) program and one only for peds residents (PD)? Also, are all (EM) programs dual track?

there are two different types of programs there are: programs aimed at peds residents that will introduce them to em and a small amount of peds
then there are programs aimed specificly for em residents that foucses a little on em and a lot on peds
this makes sence because the peds residents need em skills and the em residents need peds skills
if you go to th eras under fellowships you will see two kinds of peds em programs: ones offered through the peds departmet and those offered through the em department.
I highly recomend ones in children's hospitals
also to note there are 3 peds em residencies where in five years you are board certified in both peds an em