doing gen eds in Pharmacy 1st year?

Started by ax1989
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ax1989

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting pharm D program this fall, but I still have to do 2 gen ed requirements. The question is... how tough is the 1st year pharmacy program? do you think it's possible to take gen eds along with the pharmacy classes? i'm just worried that it will interfere with pharmacy classes.
 
I'm starting pharm D program this fall, but I still have to do 2 gen ed requirements. The question is... how tough is the 1st year pharmacy program? do you think it's possible to take gen eds along with the pharmacy classes? i'm just worried that it will interfere with pharmacy classes.

Don't most schools require you complete all your gen ed requirements prior to starting your professional years? I know this is the case for 2+ 4 programs, but not sure for the 0-6.
 
sometimes if you have 1 or 2 left they'll let it slide.

Just pick something easy like sociology 101 or psych 101. you could take something useful like technical writing but that tends to be time intensive.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure about your school's requirements, but mine requires all general education courses to be finished before p1 year. So you may want to double check...and sign up for summer classes quick!
 
At UB they just require all your gen eds to be done by the end of your P3 year.

I just finished my P2 year and this summer I'm taking 2 gen eds online (world civ 1 and 2). Held off on doing them to focus on getting the good grades in my pre-reqs so I could actually get into pharm school.

Just check with your school, I'm sure they all have their own requirements

Addition:
The reason I waited to take them online was because I didn't want them to interfere with my pharmacy classes. I think I could have done it, but it would have taken up more time and made things a little more stressful. Just wanted to make sure I could handle the work before adding even more...

My suggestion is wait at least 1 semester before you add any gen eds just to get the feel of your program and the time you need to put in.
 
Last edited:
I'm in a 0-6 program, we take 1 elective every semester up until the end of 5th year. You can elect to take more electives in the earlier years to finish the req faster, but it's not necessary.
 
electives are different from gen eds, I don't think that's what the op is talking about
 
electives are different from gen eds, I don't think that's what the op is talking about

I'm sorry I misunderstood. If by gen ed you mean history courses, psychology, stat, etc, or liberal arts, then yes, my school still take 1 per semester (in addition to humanities from pre-req years).

But I've seen transfer students take pre-req year courses in the accelerated years, so it is do-able as long as it fits your schedule. Can you take them over the summer? That's always a good option to get the courses out of the way, but it will be costly. Good luck!
 
Last edited: