doing post-bacc, when to take mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a senior this upcoming year and graduate college 2005. Then I'm going to take that summer and a year to do post-bacc. When do I take the MCAT and which year do I enter med school? I'm new at this so any pieces of advice would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

B23 said:
I'm going to be a senior this upcoming year and graduate college 2005. Then I'm going to take that summer and a year to do post-bacc. When do I take the MCAT and which year do I enter med school? I'm new at this so any pieces of advice would be helpful!

It depends on a how much Post Bac you need to do, i.e., did you take any premed requirements in college, or do you have to do it ALL in postbac? So, if you can do everything in the 3 semesters following your 2005 graduation--AND, do well, AND study for the MCAT--then and only then should you take the MCAT in the spring of 2006 and apply for 2007. However, this seems a little tight to me. I would take the MCAT in AUG of 2006--which gives you the summer to study, and study hard for the MCAT. BUT, if it takes you longer to finish up postbac, I would most certainly opt for 2007 Spring MCAT. Taking the MCAT in the spring puts you at a BIG advantage--along with applying as early as possible. Take it from me, I was a postbac. Took the MCAT 2xs, both in the fall. Even with decent scores the second time around, and a competitive GPA, my acceptance results were a big dissapointmen; I believe that my outcome had a lot to do with AUG MCAT and late application. DOn't get me wrong, I WILL be attending med school this year, but maybe not the one the I had initially hoped I would end up in. Also, your question would be a good one for a premed advisor. Good LUCK.

Some post-bacc programs that are linked to a med school allow you to take the MCAT in April to matriculate in med school the same year. I'm not sure how many alloe this, but UCONN does. It is a nice way to avoid a 'lag' year.