Doing research as a M3

Started by jsong812
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jsong812

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just started my IM rotation and to my surprise, I have a lot of free time. I've been pretty diligent about studying for my shelf everyday but I still have some time left over. So my question is, do you guys think it's a good idea to try to pick up a research project during my m3 year? People have told me that since my clinical grades carry so much weight, I should just focus on my clerkships. Other than a small ENT project that I worked on during my m1 summer (didn't even get an abstract), I really have no other research experience in medical school and the rest of my CV is just as empty. Other than a pretty good board score (256) and pre-clinical grades, I have nothing else to rest my hat on. Any input would be appreciated.

Edit*: forgot to mention, I'm interested in ENT =p
 
Last edited:
Go do some research.

So I just started my IM rotation and to my surprise, I have a lot of free time. I've been pretty diligent about studying for my shelf everyday but I still have some time left over. So my question is, do you guys think it's a good idea to try to pick up a research project during my m3 year? People have told me that since my clinical grades carry so much weight, I should just focus on my clerkships. Other than a small ENT project that I worked on during my m1 summer (didn't even get an abstract), I really have no other research experience in medical school and the rest of my CV is just as empty. Other than a pretty good board score (256) and pre-clinical grades, I have nothing else to rest my hat on. Any input would be appreciated.

Edit*: forgot to mention, I'm interested in ENT =p