Doing research at basic lab cancer centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flaminhippoParasite

Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering the perception of doing research at one of the 'prestigious' NCI basic science cancer centers (say Salk, Cold Springs, MIT Kochjackson Lab etc). Is this lesser than doing research at a T20 med school, for example, or seen as worse?

I would assume most PD's have not heard of them?

Is it worth turning down a position at one of these for a university-affiliated position at a well-known med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am wondering the perception of doing research at one of the 'prestigious' NCI basic science cancer centers (say Salk, Cold Springs, MIT Kochjackson Lab etc). Is this lesser than doing research at a T20 med school, for example, or seen as worse?

I would assume most PD's have not heard of them?

Is it worth turning down a position at one of these for a university-affiliated position at a well-known med school?
You assume incorrectly. If they have investigators that publish or get grants in the field, we know who they are. If they are HHMI investigators, we know them too

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These labs are well known. I'd say the "name brand" is equivalent. But more important than brand name is the productivity, and your personal interest in the research will play into how productive you are. So go with the position you're most interested in.

Reactions: 1 users
Lab prestige means nothing (outside of maybe forming connections).

Person with 10+ publications from an unknown lab at Wright state >>> person with an abstract from a prestigious lab

Reactions: 1 users
No one cares about the name of the labs in the MD world. Just make sure you publish.