Doing surgical electives as MS to improve skills as PGY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtobiasbluth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To current OBGYNs from a future OBGYN: if I want to improve my overall surgical skills before residency, would doing surgical electives now (not just benign gyn, gyn onc, etc) help? :confused: I saw A LOT of complications from CSs while on my general surgery rotation (wound dehiscence, bad infections), and the surgical residents bad-talked the OBs for poor surgical training :thumbdown: I believe that good surgeons are made by good teachers and practice practice practice. So, would it help at all to start practicing now, regardless of wherever I go for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

To current OBGYNs from a future OBGYN: if I want to improve my overall surgical skills before residency, would doing surgical electives now (not just benign gyn, gyn onc, etc) help? :confused: I saw A LOT of complications from CSs while on my general surgery rotation (wound dehiscence, bad infections), and the surgical residents bad-talked the OBs for poor surgical training :thumbdown: I believe that good surgeons are made by good teachers and practice practice practice. So, would it help at all to start practicing now, regardless of wherever I go for residency?

How many complications are you honestly seeing? My hospital does around 3000 deliveries a year with 1000 being C/Ds. I can't recall any fascial dehiscences in my 3 years. There have been a few incision separations but those are primarily managed conservatively. As far as infection rates, I think we've had 3 nec fasc cases, usually in patient's with a lot of comorbidities.

It's a bit cliche for general surgery to "bad mouth" ob gyn residents. Are some OB residents poorly trained? Yeah, no argument from my end. I'd also say that there are poorly trained general surgery residents who don't have the proper surgical skills also.

As to your question, do whatever you'd like. Practice some knot tying on your own and handling a needle driver to get more comfortable. But doing a surgery Sub i versus a gyn onc sub i vs another month on L and D isn't going to make a huge difference in medical school.