Doing the right things, but can I do better?

Started by RHannosh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RHannosh

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I am wondering how I can furthermore increase my chances of pharmacy school. Here are my "specs" so to speak:

Grades:
Transfer from Community college to UCSD - Pharmacological Chemistry Major, 3.72 UC-GPA
At University: Got A's and A-'s in General Chem series and Bio series. Got A's in Ochem series. The only B I've gotten at UCSD(so far) is in Chemistry Lab. and an A in public speaking.

As for Community College: I had like a 3.56 GPA, Got a B in precalc, A's in Calc 1 and 2, B+ in Calc 3, A's in Differential Equations and Linear Algebra. The only bad thing here is I got a C in Econ, but that was my first semester of college where I didn't really study. For Physics, B in mechanics, A in electricity and magnetism, and B in wave optics and light.

So that sums up my grades, which are pretty good but my GPA is a little bit hindered by a few B's in less important classes here or there.

As far as everything else....
Worked in Pharmaceutical Industry/Biotech company for over 1 year.
Currently a Pharmacy Technician at CVS pharmacy.
I am volunteering at UCSD's free pharmacy clinic(pharmacy for homeless people) once or twice a month.

Got a Letter of Rec from 2 Pharmacists and a Chem Professor.


What more do you guys think I can/should do to furthermore increase my chances at Pharmacy School. I don't take it for granted and I don't feel that my specs are anything better than anyone elses. I want to get into Skaggs UCSD where my stats are about average....
 
Hi All,

I am wondering how I can furthermore increase my chances of pharmacy school. Here are my "specs" so to speak:

Grades:
Transfer from Community college to UCSD - Pharmacological Chemistry Major, 3.72 UC-GPA
At University: Got A's and A-'s in General Chem series and Bio series. Got A's in Ochem series. The only B I've gotten at UCSD(so far) is in Chemistry Lab. and an A in public speaking.

As for Community College: I had like a 3.56 GPA, Got a B in precalc, A's in Calc 1 and 2, B+ in Calc 3, A's in Differential Equations and Linear Algebra. The only bad thing here is I got a C in Econ, but that was my first semester of college where I didn't really study. For Physics, B in mechanics, A in electricity and magnetism, and B in wave optics and light.

So that sums up my grades, which are pretty good but my GPA is a little bit hindered by a few B's in less important classes here or there.

As far as everything else....
Worked in Pharmaceutical Industry/Biotech company for over 1 year.
Currently a Pharmacy Technician at CVS pharmacy.
I am volunteering at UCSD's free pharmacy clinic(pharmacy for homeless people) once or twice a month.

Got a Letter of Rec from 2 Pharmacists and a Chem Professor.


What more do you guys think I can/should do to furthermore increase my chances at Pharmacy School. I don't take it for granted and I don't feel that my specs are anything better than anyone elses. I want to get into Skaggs UCSD where my stats are about average....

All looks good. I think that you are at the "don't choke" stage...in other words don't screw up your personal statement or your interview and you should have a good shot at acceptance. One recommendation I might make is to apply to more than one school. Even the "perfect" applicant can inexplicably get rejected from a school. A little backup could never hurt.