Dollar per wRVU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious for those that have better knowledge in terms of region and overall. What is the going average in the Southeast? Newest thread was 4 years old so I thought it was time to see an updated figure. Thanks for those that have input.

Members don't see this ad.

I get $60/wRVU in the southeast. Inpatient. Non-academic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be curious to know wrvu rates in SE region that people are getting outpatient

I've seen ~$70/wRVU for a big hospital system in the southeast (and was told this is around the average)

Have the 2021 RVU changes impacted this at all?
Have the 2021 RVU changes impacted anything?

I'm jaded and assuming nothing changed, but merely meant more money for Big Box shops but hoping for y'all to here the contrary.

I'm jaded and assuming nothing changed, but merely meant more money for Big Box shops but hoping for y'all to here the contrary.
For me they slashed the conversion factor by 10% to account for the 2021 changes :mad:
I said I would not even try to meet these new targets

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Mine increased the wRVU total before getting into bonus time...from 4000 to 4800. I clear that easily so it really made no difference to me. But I definitely will negotiate a higher per dollar amount come next year when contract is up.

Reactions: 1 user
I have two inpatient psych units near me. One pays $65 the other pays $74. The $65 is set up to be more efficient relatively and the docs there make 2x as much take home.

What changes in 2021 are they basing this on?
2021 E&M changes. Outpatient E&M code wRVUs went up as did wRVUs for 90792. However inpatient codes stayed the same. Psychotherapy add on codes stayed the same. I do a mix of inpt and outpatient consultation so it was worse for me.

The whole point of these changes was to increase reimbursement to physicians in cognitive specialties but these hospitals are just pocketing the money instead of passing it on to physicians. I have heard some groups never transitioned their staff to the new wRVU system, and those that did cut the conversion factor and/or increased the wRVU requirements. Such a scam.

Reactions: 7 users
2021 E&M changes. Outpatient E&M code wRVUs went up as did wRVUs for 90792. However inpatient codes stayed the same. Psychotherapy add on codes stayed the same. I do a mix of inpt and outpatient consultation so it was worse for me.

The whole point of these changes was to increase reimbursement to physicians in cognitive specialties but these hospitals are just pocketing the money instead of passing it on to physicians. I have heard some groups never transitioned their staff to the new wRVU system, and those that did cut the conversion factor and/or increased the wRVU requirements. Such a scam.
Illegitimi non carborundum