DONE July 22nd DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajlst11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I took the DAT today, and I really am Pumped about my scores. They aren't like the 30's floating around these forums, but I am very happy with them. My scores are

Bio- 20 (85.5%)
GChem- 22 (88.7%)
OChem- 22 (89.8%)
PAT- 23 (98.7%)
RC- 21 (80.2%)
QR- 19 (81.9%)
TS- 22 (95.3%) DONT know how I got 22,22,20 and got 22TS????
AA- 21 (91.0%)

Ok here it is:

Bio- SO random. I seriously dont think studying helped. I had the weirdest questions. I had probably 10 which I completely guessed on, got very lucky. I think this was just insanely random. But overall a 20 was what I was aiming for, so I am happy. I would say Cliffs, Barrons AP are the best.

GChem- I thought I didn't miss one, but I must have. It was very easy and straightforward. It was a lot easier than destroyer and about the same a Kaplan, but none of my answers were worked out for me. All of the calculation problems you have to compute. So that was odd. But overall very manageable. Use Kaplan subject tests for realistic but destroyer helps you ace it.ALso, KAPLAN organic chemistry edge is awesome and so is ACS guide.

Ochem- Happy with this score, but again, I do not know what I missed. Kaplan is good for it and destroyed road maps are perfect. Other than that, ACS guide is really good. A lot more straightforward than expected.

PAT- Im VERY MAD about this. My CDP tests were 25,26,28,28,26,25,24,26,28,and 26. HOW did I only get a 23??? Makes no sense to me. However, the keyholes were about the same as CDP except for a couple were more like topscore. TFE was exactly like CDP, not very hard. ANgles were about the same as CDP, if not a little easier. Hole punching was a JOKE compared to CDP. Cube counting was REALLY easy, not many cubes. More like Kaplan than CDP. Folding was MUCH harder than CDP, but I still thought I did good. This is where I must have messed up. On CDP I would only miss angles. Only 2-5 per test, and a 23 means i messed up somewhere, so I am shocked. Just beware that CDP is NOT that accurate with your score.

RC- I am terrible at reading. I only got a 500 on my SAT verbal!!! But my passgaes were pretty straghtforward. Only 8-10 TOTAL inference. So, very manageable if you try.

QR- This score is rediculous. I never scored below a 24 on ANY practice test. A 19 is not good for me because I am good at math. I got done with 10 minutes to spare, and thought it was easy, but I guess not. Makes no sense. I have no idea what I could have missed, but Owell, I am still content. But I really wanted above a 20 in every section.

I still have no clue how my TS is a 22. Not complaining but usually a 20Bio, 22 chem, 22 ochem is a 21 TS. I have no idea, but I am pretty happy with my scores.

QUESTION: I have a 3.96GPA, and I feel that my 22/21/23 DAT is very good (my opinion=im psyched), and I have a ton of shadowing and extracurriculars, I play Division 1 football, and have sent in my app, just waiting for these scores!!! SO, I really want to go to NOVA, UNC. I applied to: UNC(#1), NOVA, UF, Arizona, Pitt, Temple, Ohio State, Baylor, UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, UCSF, Virginia Commonwealth.

WHat schools do I have a shot at???

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that is really good. With that kind of GPA, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I think people on this forum post ridiculous scores in the 30s, but look at the averages on the ADA guide and admission stats. Compared to the national average, your scores are exceptional.

I am a bit worried however regarding the bio section. I am pretty good at bio but everyone keeps telling me how random it was. Did you get frapped?

Without being specific on the details, how were the questions random? Im studying the hell out of kaplan and destroyer along with taking notes on every little concept I run into, but how are you supposed to learn random bio? I dont have time to run through all my core and elective classes in biology for the last four years. Is there a specific area of biology I should focus on like endocrinology, cell bio, or what?

My trouble areas were Neuroscience, embryology, some experiments(odd), justr things I seriously have NEVER heard of. Really odd, but these things probably cant even be found in bio texts. They are really off. Also, Histolology of organelles was a problem for me, so these areas may have caused me to think it was nuts, but seriously, my test version had really odd questions. The odd of you getting it are slim, but just try and study EVERY source. I did Barrons AP bio, Kaplan Bio, Shaums Bio, Cliffs bio, and NONE of them had the info for some of these questions. I wasted my time studying because it basically turned into a complete mind game and I got VERY Lucky. But study HARD!! And I mean do 1000s of Bio/science questions in EVERY SUBJECT, from neuro to endo, to cell molecular to biochem. Really make your knowledge broad. Good luck, and if you study hard you WILL do well, and don't worry during your test. I was so bumbed after my bio, it really took a toll on the rest of the test, like my PAT. ALso the QR was messed up too. Be confident and go in like you will do great.

Members don't see this ad :)
histology is not even on the topic on the ADA rubric and certainly not in any of the material you buy. That is one class I didnt take as an undergrad so I wouldnt even know where to start. Im guessing you had the Frap question (flourence recovery after photobleaching) and let me guess, PIANO RC?

Im getting pretty scared because Im in a neuro lab, but that field is so big, I wouldnt know what to study for.

I had the same test as ajlst11--thank goodness I took Histology this past semester. It really helped! I definitely could have done ALOT!!! better if I knew my immune system. I just wish I didnt study bio as much and put that time into math practice.

ive read that half of the schools dont even consider the math section all that important. I havent taken histo yet, but I took immunology. Can you point what main topics I should focus on histo? Should I be studying the basics like which blood cells do what or do I need to start learning the different histo techniques?

Im getting so tired of all the randomness of the DATs. It sucks when you dont know what to study for.

Great scores man, and what is up with QR lately, not a single score over 20 in it, and everyone says it is crazy...IDK...

As far as applying to Texas schools, just know that if you are an out of stater, they only accepts aroun 10 students from out of state at all three schools combined. Now, that said, i think you have a great shot because of your solid DAT and great gpa, but I just wanted to let you know. Good luck (not that you will need it!)

Thanks for all the responses. Going to florida and I will post more when I get back about what I used and practice scores

If you dont take classes like biochem and immuology and the history one are you in trouble? Im probably taking it next summer and the only bio classes i'll have done are gen bio 1 and 2, genetics and mol. cell bio, is the enough to do well on the bio section?

I thought biochem helped me a lot on the bio part but considering you have genetics and cell bio under your belt you should be more than fine - just make sure you review everything. When I took the DAT last year, I hadn't had any biology since AP bio in highschool (three years earlier) and I had just taken Biochem that Spring - I got a 20 on the bio section and I was happy with that.