done with DAT today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgirl007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:
I just got done with DAT today.
I'm having mixed feelings about my scores...
is this good enought?
or do i have to take it again?

Tell me what you think.
Do i have chances of getting interviews?

PA 22
QA 17
RC 19
Bio 22
GC 22
OC 23

TS 23
AA 21

my math and reading scores are low compared to others.

*i must have mistyped my reading and math score earlier shifting 1 number for each

I basically studied for about 2 months, but i was still in school, so only studied DAT stuff maybe about 3-4 hours a day.
I spent the first month just reading over the huge kaplan DAT book 2009 edition. Kaplan give you a good feeling of all the areas, but reading over it once does not help you remember everything. I was just so overwhelmed by too much information.
But i felt like i got a lot done going through the book once, so went on anyways to take a full length practice exam.
This made me realize that i REALLY SUCK at everything.

My weakest area was biology more than any other areas.

SOURCES: Kaplan Pracitce Tests, Achiever, Topscore, Destroyer.... and Wikipedia.

Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry-
I looked at the answers i got wrong on practice exams. I made sure i understood why i got each questions wrong. If i wasn't clear on a concept, i looked it up in Kaplan book, or wikipedia (i really liked wikipedia. lol).
Other than practice exams, i went through the 3 science sections of DAT Destroyer. DAT Destroyer answer explanations are awesome. I made sure i understood each concetps and why all the wrong answer choices were wrong.

Perceptual
Other than Kaplan and Achiever practice test, nothing. I was luckily just good at it.
Kaplan is easier, Achiever is harder

That's all i did for Natural Sciences.

Here are the scores i got on my practice exams:

Topscore test 1:
Bio-17
Ochem- 17
(didn't do chemistry for some reason)

Topscore Test 2:
Bio-17
Chem- 19
OChem- 17

Topscore Test 3:
Bio- 17
Chem- 18
Ochem- 20

Achiever Test 1:
Bio- 15
Chem- 18
Ochem- 18

Achiever Test 2:
Bio- 16
Chem- 16
Ochem- 15

Achiever Test 3:
Bio- 17
Chem-18
Ochem- 19

Kaplan Online Final:
Bio- 19
Chem- 19
Ochem- 21
Reading- 17
QA- 18
PAT- 21

These tests were taken at random times. Some were taken like a month before my test date, some were taken a week before.
I think practice tests are harder. But another thing is, I had a hard time concentration during my practice tests, and I didn't put in all my effort and focus.
During the real test, i was very focused and thought about my answer choices extra carefully.

I've always been good at math throughout high school and college, so didn't really practice much.
I did score around 18-20 on practice exams for quantitative reasoning, but i was more worried about science so focused on science.

As for reading, i was never, ever good at reading, so i just gave up on it. and did better than i thought...

I have a major ADD.
Being focused during the real thing helped me to get better scores..

but really, don't know what happened for quantitative reasoning.. =(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think they're good scores! Good job :).
But yeah, we can't really say about chances for interview based on your DAT score alone. What's your GPA?

Since you did so well..can you give us a breakdown? What did you use?

On a side note, how were your math practice scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people have trouble with QR, and it seems like adcoms don't weight it as heavily as the other sections, so I wouldn't worry. Your RC is average, not necessarily bad. But your AA and TS are great so you should be good to go!

PS. I second dentista123's request...your science scores are nice! Can you tell us how long you studied, and what materials you used?

:confused:
I just got done with dat today.
I'm having mixed feelings about my scores...
Is this good enought?
Or do i have to take it again?

Tell me what you think.
Do i have chances of getting interviews?

Pa 22
qa 16
rc 18
bio 22
gc 22
oc 23

ts 23
aa 21

my math and reading scores are low compared to others.

23 + 22 +22 + 18 + 16 = 101

101/5 = 20.2

It's not calculated as an average of the five scores but how many questions you missed in all the sections combined.

In case you missed it from your score report....

This is taken directly from the score report given to you at the prometric center:

"The Academic Average is the average of the five scores rounded to the NEAREST WHOLE NUMBER: quantitative reasoning, reading comprehension, biology, general chemistry, and organic chemistry."

"The TOTAL SCIENCE score is the standard score based on all 100 questions in the biology, general chemistry and organic chemiistry tests. It is NOT the average of the three science standard scores."

In case you missed it from your score report....

This is taken directly from the score report given to you at the prometric center:

"The Academic Average is the average of the five scores rounded to the NEAREST WHOLE NUMBER: quantitative reasoning, reading comprehension, biology, general chemistry, and organic chemistry."

"The TOTAL SCIENCE score is the standard score based on all 100 questions in the biology, general chemistry and organic chemiistry tests. It is NOT the average of the three science standard scores."

Good to know- Thanks! Will be taking for first time in July

You won't get in..C'mon, of course you've got a good chance. Don't ask dumb questions like that.

It's hard to say whether this is a troll post or if somebody just needs a bedtime story.

Given the earlier "mistake" in the Academic Average, I'm calling BS on this post.

hmm. i don't know why i would want to just make up a bunch of random scores.
for fun?

yeah i'm not that bored with my life...

thanks for the breakdown!! Your scores make me excited because my Bio scores are very similar to your practice scores. What do you think was so easy about the Bio section? Why the big jump from 17's to 22? Awesome job overcoming Bio! Honestly, I know what it's like to do crappy on these bio practice tests and it can't feel that good to go into the real think not really knowing what is about to go down. You did WAY better than all of your practice scores. Give yourself a huge pat on the back. No more stressing!

That TS scores looks somewhat higher than it should be (I might be wrong). Nevertheless, you have solid scores and I don't think you should worry much!

i think it's cuz TS score isn't the average of 3 science secions.
it's a score given based on my performance of 100 science questions

i think it's cuz TS score isn't the average of 3 science secions.
it's a score given based on my performance of 100 science questions
That's probably the case. I don't know much about how they calculate these scores (nor do I have any interest in knowing). Good luck anyways!

That TS scores looks somewhat higher than it should be (I might be wrong). Nevertheless, you have solid scores and I don't think you should worry much!

i had the same science score... bio 22, chem 23, orgo 22 and the TS was a 23!..