done with step 1....finally

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zedpol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I am done with step 1 and i couldn't be more glad to be done. I figured you guys could send this email on to those who haven't taken it.

So, i thought the test was somewhere between the difficulty of kaplan (hard) and the 150 questions that you get when you register (easy). Although, take that with a grain of salt since i have no idea what my step score is going to be. I had more than enough time to finish the test, got out 2.5 hours early. You might want to check out the prometric site you will be testing at, so you know what to expect as far as temperature, fridges, food, all that jazz. So yah, i am having a bit of a hard time figuring out what to write. So i will try to split this into general hints and specific hints.

General:
You need to be able to apply the stuff you have memorized...yes you need to memorize lots of the stuff, but they won't ask a "What is" type of question. So DON"T use first aid and just memorize things, make sure you understand the Why and how of it. Goljans audio is pretty good for that.

Don't freak out about the test, i was super super nervous before i started, once i got in and started doingthe questions i realized this is what i have been doing for 2 years now, the questions are no different than the ones you have already been doing.

Make sure you read the questions carefully, lots of them i had no idea what they were talking about, but you could figure out the answer from the questions stem and with a little bit of background knowledge. There were only a couple of questions that i didn't have a clue what they were talking about. When you get to one of the questions that oyu don't know anything about start generalizing everything. I.E. If the question is asking about hormones, and you don't have a clue what they are talking about look at the answer choices and start putting things in categories. Lets say you had to choose between, Insulin, Glucagon, Aldosterone, Epinephrine and Dopamine. RIght off the bat you should divide them up into groups. Notice aldosterone is the only steroidal in that group so it is not going to have a cytoplasmic receptor. Things like that, you will be able to answer lots of the questions that way.

First Aid is really really good as far as stuff that is on the test. The problem with first aid is it doesn't lend itself to understanding so i would NOT use it is a primary resource. Use it as an outline of what you need to know.

Most of my pharm questions were asked by side effects, so they would say X person has a cough, which started 2 weeks ago when the patient began a new medication for high blood pressure. They will give you 5 choices or so that will all treat high blood pressure, an ACE inhibitor would be the answer (stops the break down of bradykinin).

I only had one calculations question, and it was multistep, You DO need to know your equations because lots of concepts are asked from the calculations, they just don't have you calculate anything.

While you are doing questions make sure you read through the answers and understand why the wrong answers are incorrect, add your own notes to your review books (FA is a good one because it gives you an easy way to review most everything the week before the test)

As far as memorizing random little diseases that have some random guys name in them..i wouldn't worry about it too much, focus on concepts first and then get to stuff like sturge-weber syndrome, and Osler rendue.. whatever the hell that is called.

Focus on the big picture first and then fill in the details.

Goljan audio was pretty dang good, a good percentage of the stuff he guaranteed to be on the test was actually on the test, Some concepts tests more than a couple times, like VitaminK.

Ok, For the more specific stuff

Please don't use Neuroantomty BRS. definantly use HY, My test had more Neuro on it than it did Gross anatomy. Learn your brainstem and spinal cord crossections.

Goljans High yield notes that have to do with biostatistics, sensitivty, etc are really good, that pluse FA covered every biostatistics question on my test.

If you are going to pick one subject to learn I would definantly pick pathology, path includes so much of the other subjects, and it seemed like the other subjects were only asked in relation to clinical stuff.

Embryo- i had maybe 2 questions, (thank god because i truely hate embryo)

Physio- learn how to read graphs. Don't learn how to read specific graphs, just learn how to figure out a graph. If you aren't good with graphs, spend some good quality time with them to figure out how to pull information out of a graph. There are lots of graphs on step 1. (mine at least)

Oh, before i forget, i thought the review book step up is complete Ass. It has way too many mistakes in it, don't put yourself through trying to figure out which are mistakes and which aren't, just avoid it. Yes it is easier to read than First Aid, but first Aids info is a lot better. The only redeeming value to step up is their Embryo sections at the begining of each chapter.

Biochem, Cell bio, Mol cell bio- actually a fair amount of this stuff on the test, although most of it was given in a scenario that you had enough data given to you in the question to figure out the answer. Most of them were basically just Logic Questions.

Genetics- i really didn't have much, first aid really covered all that i needed.

Pathology- Huge Huge huge part of the test. Learn your pathology

Microbiology- Know how to identify bugs, I.E. optichin resitant, green halo, gram positive cocci

Pharm- first aid is good enough
Physio- learn graphs
Ok, as far as the books i used.

I am going to rate the books 1-5 scale

Pathology BRS 4
Lipincott Biochem 3.8
Kaplan Qbank 4 (Doesn't get a 5 because it has a LOT of information in it that isn't even close to what i would call high yield, sometimes hard to differentiate what you need to know from what you don't.)
Costanza Physiology (i think it is called stars) 3.5
HY microbiology 5
HY immunology 3.5
HY mol and cell bio 4.5 (only because i know of no other book that has all that info in one place...the book itself isn't the most wonderful thing in the world)
Behavioral BRS 4.5- good book but i think you could get away with the HY and save time
First Aid 5 (STudy from this after you have a good grasp on a subject)
(Various sections from FA)
FA anatomy 4.0 (its neuroanatomy section was not enough)
FA Biochem 4.8
FA pathology 3
FA pharmacology 5
FA Micro 3.5
FA Physio 3.5
FA behavioral 4

Kaplan Qbank is your friend, do Qbank (i found the standard Qbank questions much more useful than the IV set..only ended up doing the IV set)

THe robbins USMLE 1100 questions book is very good for pathology but DON"T use robbins to study, BRS is much more time efficient.

Sorry this email is so rambling, i just spoke to things as they popped into my head. If you have anyquestions feel free to email me. All the examples in this post are made up, they aren't from my test. Hope it helps, if you have any questions feel free to email me.

Zedpol

Members don't see this ad.

zedpol said:
Well, I am done with step 1 and i couldn't be more glad to be done. I figured you guys could send this email on to those who haven't taken it.

So, i thought the test was somewhere between the difficulty of kaplan (hard) and the 150 questions that you get when you register (easy). Although, take that with a grain of salt since i have no idea what my step score is going to be. I had more than enough time to finish the test, got out 2.5 hours early. You might want to check out the prometric site you will be testing at, so you know what to expect as far as temperature, fridges, food, all that jazz. So yah, i am having a bit of a hard time figuring out what to write. So i will try to split this into general hints and specific hints.

General:
You need to be able to apply the stuff you have memorized...yes you need to memorize lots of the stuff, but they won't ask a "What is" type of question. So DON"T use first aid and just memorize things, make sure you understand the Why and how of it. Goljans audio is pretty good for that.

Don't freak out about the test, i was super super nervous before i started, once i got in and started doingthe questions i realized this is what i have been doing for 2 years now, the questions are no different than the ones you have already been doing.

Make sure you read the questions carefully, lots of them i had no idea what they were talking about, but you could figure out the answer from the questions stem and with a little bit of background knowledge. There were only a couple of questions that i didn't have a clue what they were talking about. When you get to one of the questions that oyu don't know anything about start generalizing everything. I.E. If the question is asking about hormones, and you don't have a clue what they are talking about look at the answer choices and start putting things in categories. Lets say you had to choose between, Insulin, Glucagon, Aldosterone, Epinephrine and Dopamine. RIght off the bat you should divide them up into groups. Notice aldosterone is the only steroidal in that group so it is not going to have a cytoplasmic receptor. Things like that, you will be able to answer lots of the questions that way.

First Aid is really really good as far as stuff that is on the test. The problem with first aid is it doesn't lend itself to understanding so i would NOT use it is a primary resource. Use it as an outline of what you need to know.

Most of my pharm questions were asked by side effects, so they would say X person has a cough, which started 2 weeks ago when the patient began a new medication for high blood pressure. They will give you 5 choices or so that will all treat high blood pressure, an ACE inhibitor would be the answer (stops the break down of bradykinin).

I only had one calculations question, and it was multistep, You DO need to know your equations because lots of concepts are asked from the calculations, they just don't have you calculate anything.

While you are doing questions make sure you read through the answers and understand why the wrong answers are incorrect, add your own notes to your review books (FA is a good one because it gives you an easy way to review most everything the week before the test)

As far as memorizing random little diseases that have some random guys name in them..i wouldn't worry about it too much, focus on concepts first and then get to stuff like sturge-weber syndrome, and Osler rendue.. whatever the hell that is called.

Goljan audio was pretty dang good, a good percentage of the stuff he guaranteed to be on the test was actually on the test, Some concepts tests more than a couple times, like VitaminK.

Please don't use Neuroantomty BRS. definantly use HY, My test had more Neuro on it than it did Gross anatomy. Learn your brainstem and spinal cord crossections.

Goljans High yield notes that have to do with biostatistics, sensitivty, etc are really good, that pluse FA covered every biostatistics question on my test.

If you are going to pick one subject to learn I would definantly pick pathology, path includes so much of the other subjects, and it seemed like the other subjects were only asked in relation to clinical stuff.

Physio- learn how to read graphs. Don't learn how to read specific graphs, just learn how to figure out a graph. If you aren't good with graphs, spend some good quality time with them to figure out how to pull information out of a graph. There are lots of graphs on step 1. (mine at least)

Oh, before i forget, i thought the review book step up is complete Ass. It has way too many mistakes in it, don't put yourself through trying to figure out which are mistakes and which aren't, just avoid it. Yes it is easier to read than First Aid, but first Aids info is a lot better. The only redeeming value to step up is their Embryo sections at the begining of each chapter.

Biochem, Cell bio, Mol cell bio- actually a fair amount of this stuff on the test, although most of it was given in a scenario that you had enough data given to you in the question to figure out the answer. Most of them were basically just Logic Questions.

Genetics- i really didn't have much, first aid really covered all that i needed.

Microbiology- Know how to identify bugs, I.E. optichin resitant, green halo, gram positive cocci

Physio- learn graphs

Pathology BRS 4
Lipincott Biochem 3.8
Kaplan Qbank 4 (Doesn't get a 5 because it has a LOT of information in it that isn't even close to what i would call high yield, sometimes hard to differentiate what you need to know from what you don't.)
HY microbiology 5
HY immunology 3.5
HY mol and cell bio 4.5 (only because i know of no other book that has all that info in one place...the book itself isn't the most wonderful thing in the world)
Behavioral BRS 4.5- good book but i think you could get away with the HY and save time
FA Biochem 4.8
FA pathology 3
FA pharmacology 5
FA Micro 3.5
FA Physio 3.5
FA behavioral 4

Kaplan Qbank is your friend, do Qbank (i found the standard Qbank questions much more useful than the IV set..only ended up doing the IV set)

THe robbins USMLE 1100 questions book is very good for pathology but DON"T use robbins to study, BRS is much more time efficient.

Sorry this email is so rambling, i just spoke to things as they popped into my head. If you have anyquestions feel free to email me. All the examples in this post are made up, they aren't from my test. Hope it helps, if you have any questions feel free to email me.

Zedpol

Thanks for the 411!!

Hi Zed

Thanks for all the help...really appreciate it. Did you have a lot of path images on your exam?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the post--im sure u did really well.

What was everything you used for path? And would you recommend the goljan notes in terms of its representation and usefulness for the test?

HiddenTruth said:
thanks for the post--im sure u did really well.

What was everything you used for path? And would you recommend the goljan notes in terms of its representation and usefulness for the test?

I used BRS pathology, Qbank, Goljan Audio, some of Gojlan notes, and USMLE robbins review questions. I felt pretty good about pathology after all that.

I didn't go through all of goljan notes, I just got through the notes about general pathology, I would guess that they systemic pathology notes are pretty good also, but goljan notes don't help much with understand (his audio does) so unless you have a good basis for it i would say don't worry about.

The goljan stuff is real good if you have a good understanding of the subject, but if you are struggling to get the basics of stuff i would say don't bother with it, better that you get the basics than trying to get the nitty gritty of the stuff.

Zedpol

I didn't have a lot of images on my exam, maybe 5-10, i did have lots of graphs and lots of schematic type drawings though (more graphs than schematics)

Zedpol

w00t..i got a 260, figured those who used my advice would like to know. :D :D :D

thanks for your advice. can you explain why you rate FA micro only 3.5? it seems like micro would be the type of section that FA would excel in. can you give us an idea of what's missing, what you would like in there, etc?

i have about two months of school left before i devote a full month to boards. other than the obvious things like brs physiology and brs pathology, what should i be doing so that i can have the concepts in mind before i start memorizing first aid? i was thinking of doing the LY stuff now like anatomy, embryo, histo, but it seems like that might not be the best way to use this time. any suggestions? thanks

automaton said:
thanks for your advice. can you explain why you rate FA micro only 3.5? it seems like micro would be the type of section that FA would excel in. can you give us an idea of what's missing, what you would like in there, etc?

i have about two months of school left before i devote a full month to boards. other than the obvious things like brs physiology and brs pathology, what should i be doing so that i can have the concepts in mind before i start memorizing first aid? i was thinking of doing the LY stuff now like anatomy, embryo, histo, but it seems like that might not be the best way to use this time. any suggestions? thanks

yah my FA micro rating was more because High Yield Micro is soooo much better. In retrospect I think you could get away with the FA micro..and I would probably rate it higher if I diid the whole rating thing again, basically FA micro is a very good condensed version, but High Yield Micro is much better because it covers not only the straight micro questions, but also a good portion of the path stuff.

Your plan sounded pretty much how i went about it. Low Yield stuff first, high yield stuff last. I think Qbank is pretty good practice and definantly worth doing.

Good Luck

hey zedpol,
do you mind sharing how long you studied specifically for step1? might be nice to know for those of us out there trying to decide how to divide up our studying time between second year classes and step1. congrats on your score!

mattie113 said:
hey zedpol,
do you mind sharing how long you studied specifically for step1? might be nice to know for those of us out there trying to decide how to divide up our studying time between second year classes and step1. congrats on your score!

So i took the step Dec 20th. I started to half ass review in early october. I did a light review of pathology, biochemistry, micro and then threw in a little anatomy since that was so rusty for me. I basically reviewed all of micro, most of path, half of biochem, and about 1/5 of biochem from early october to late novemeber. I also took one of the NBME tests before i started studying to see where i was at. I got a 560. This was all during classes. November 5th i flew home and took like 6 or 7 days off, no studying, no nothing.

I started studying on ike nov 11-12th..can't remember exactly. I didn't set myself a define study schedule other than tried to get a REAL 6hours of studying or more in a day. When i say real..i mean not staring off into the distance with my books in front of me..i mean actually studying. I did that 6 days a week. Some days I would get more studying than other ..this is a total guess but I figure i averaged 7ish hours a day of real studying. and like 5.5 days a week. Most weeks i would do 6 days a week, some ended up at 5, and one week i only got 4 days in.

I took the day off before the test. By that time i was so sick of studying that the thought of anymore made me want to hurl myself off a bridge (kidding).

I am a pretty tangential studier. So basically my studying consisted of me starting on a subject, thinking how that fit in to what i already knew...what the holes were, chasing down those holes...repeat and rinse. I started to do more and more questions as i got closer to the test.

If you guys can think of anymore useful info let me know.

Z

had a quick question: how many times were you able to get through the books? Did you also listen to goljan's audio multiple times? Thanks so much, and congrats on the score!!

thanks again for your advice and congratulations on your score. one thing that i agree with, but has gotten me a little worried, is that you say first aid should be used once the concepts are in place. since i'll be using brs path/phys, those two subjects i'm not too concerned about, and i have supplemental books for neuroanatomy and behavioral science. but i was planning on depending solely on FA/qbank/appleton&lange for anatomy, histology, embryology, micro, biochem, and pharm. from what i've heard, the impression that i got was that anatomy, histology, and embryology are really low yield and what's covered in FA should be more or less what you need to know. what's your opinion on that? and as for micro, biochem, and pharm, those are very factual and FA should cover these subjects very well.

so i guess what i'm asking is, when you say you need to know concepts before using FA, does that include the low yield and memorization heavy subjects, or were you thinking more along the lines of physiology and pathology?

thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hrmm.i got through path 2 times, micro 2 times, pharm once, behavioral once, anatomy 1.5 times, physio once, biochem 2 times, immuno once, mol and cell once. When i was studying one subject i was always looking up things in other subjects, so I probably spent a little bit more time on each subject than most people would, but that is because i was looking up other stuff too.

I agree FA should be good enough for anatomy (not enough for neuro on my test) embryo and histo. Micro i would definantly get the high yield, helps with not only micro, but also path. FA pharm is enough for details, if you need pharm concepts try elsewhere but don't learn anything but the concepts elsewhere. Biochem i struggled with, used lipincott glad I did.
Again, these are just my opinions and what worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Z

did you take the NBME tests and if so what did you get on those? Also, I have found the robbins questions are good for the most part, but some are very difficult, how well were doing on these questions?

NBME form 1 before i started studying was a 560
Robbin 1100 questions ranged from 78-92
Qbank overall average was a 76%..was brought down because i started questions before i started studying...hehe i was excited. Averaging 80% for my last 1500 questions
USMLE CD 88%
Blackwell 75%.

I did all the questions during random times..so not sure how indicitive some of those are of where i was at.

Z

Zedpol

I have a couple of questions. I am trying to get into the mood of studying for this Step as I have been trying since January, but I am planning on sitting in May so I need to get it together. I am excited and trying, but I do not feel like I am moving ahead at all...I sat here today and looked at material for about 4 hours and I was like....am I learning anything. I have several Qbanks and they are frustrating me...I am told to look at various questions, but I some of the different questions are really depressing me. You stated that you used kaplan, Blackwell, NBME, and the CD from USMLE only, correct? Well, sorry for rambling, but could you tell me what the word studying means again, I am so tired...I need a step by step plan, I feel like I cannot get a focus and much like I am wasting a lot of time...please help.

hey, thanks zed.

here's to some good step-one karma for you!! :luck:

Hi, I had a question if you don't mind. What did you use for Gross? And, is FA pharm all you used (is that completely suffice)? Thanks a lot.

HiddenTruth said:
Hi, I had a question if you don't mind. What did you use for Gross? And, is FA pharm all you used (is that completely suffice)? Thanks a lot.

I mainly used FA for gross anatomy. If you are feeling weak in it I would suggest picking up HY anatomy but do yourself a favor and don't spend too much time on anatomy. Your time would be better spent on the other subjects. HY neuro is golden, i wish I had used it for step review. I had used it for my neuro class but didn't have access to it when i was studying for step 1.

FA pharm is all I used, don't bother with anything else.

chayil said:
Zedpol

I have a couple of questions. I am trying to get into the mood of studying for this Step as I have been trying since January, but I am planning on sitting in May so I need to get it together. I am excited and trying, but I do not feel like I am moving ahead at all...I sat here today and looked at material for about 4 hours and I was like....am I learning anything. I have several Qbanks and they are frustrating me...I am told to look at various questions, but I some of the different questions are really depressing me. You stated that you used kaplan, Blackwell, NBME, and the CD from USMLE only, correct? Well, sorry for rambling, but could you tell me what the word studying means again, I am so tired...I need a step by step plan, I feel like I cannot get a focus and much like I am wasting a lot of time...please help.

I don't think me giving you a step by step plan will be useful for you. You sound like you are burnt out. Maybe it is time to take two, three ..heck a seven days off and don't think about studying or school at all, not even a little bit, or maybe you want to do that after you finish classes. If i remember correctly you are still taking classes? In between finishing up school and starting studying I took a few days off..i forget exactly how many but it was a decent amount of time because I was feeling pretty similar to you. You aren't going to be effective at studying if you are burnt out so make sure to do things other than studying. Enjoy the sun, take a walk..whatever floats your boat.

Z

hi zedpol,

congrats on your step 1! that is awesome.

i saw one of your posts way back and you recommneded HY neuroanatomy over BRS. why is that? (i already bought BRS, and i keep on hearing from people i should have gotten HY. i'm wondering if i should buy HY) i'm a first year just starting to learn neuroanatomy.

Any tips for studying for behavioral? I'm starting to study now and writing it in mid august. Psych is the only subject I am completely in the dark on how to go about studying for.

NIQ said:
Any tips for studying for behavioral? I'm starting to study now and writing it in mid august. Psych is the only subject I am completely in the dark on how to go about studying for.

HY or BRS behavioral. Definantly do behavioral questions as there is a fairly specific way to approach those questions. Kaplan Qbank was good for that, the questions included in the BRS were marginal in my opinion.

medstudent123 said:
hi zedpol,

congrats on your step 1! that is awesome.

i saw one of your posts way back and you recommneded HY neuroanatomy over BRS. why is that? (i already bought BRS, and i keep on hearing from people i should have gotten HY. i'm wondering if i should buy HY) i'm a first year just starting to learn neuroanatomy.

HY neuro is more concise, BRS has a bunch of superfluous crap that I wouldn’t bother learning for the step. That stuff might be important for your call..can’t comment on that though since I haven’t taken your class.

zedpol said:

General:

Physio- learn graphs

Pathology BRS 4
Lipincott Biochem 3.8
HY microbiology 5
HY immunology 3.5
FA Biochem 4.8
FA pathology 3
FA pharmacology 5
FA Micro 3.5
FA Physio 3.5
FA behavioral 4

Zedpol

Hi this is very interesting for me since I am physician from outside the country and since I will be trying the step 1 later this year. I wonder did you ever think about taking a Kaplan course or other similar course and if not why not. which would you recommend?

thanks Anita

LavaisseAnita said:
Hi this is very interesting for me since I am physician from outside the country and since I will be trying the step 1 later this year. I wonder did you ever think about taking a Kaplan course or other similar course and if not why not. which would you recommend?

thanks Anita

I can't comment on the quality of the various review programs because i have no experience with any of them. Taking a review course is a pretty personal choice. Some people learn well listening to lectures and having other people make those connections in the material for them. I on the other hand do better figuring that stuff out on my own, otherwise i promptly forget it. It sounds like you have been away from the basic sciences for a long time? If so a review course might serve you well, but i can only speak from my experience and i chose not to do a review because I had jsut finished the basic sciences. I felt like a i had a pretty good grip on the material and just needed to spend some sit down time pounding it into my head. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Z