done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School

• Penn

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Mayo

Votes: 50 69.4%
  • WashU

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters
D

deleted1160414

got it

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
All 3 schools are pretty equal on even money with a slight advantage to Penn

Like everyone else said- Mayo

The money and the connections are the two biggest factors here and they're both massively in Mayo's favor. I don't even know if WashU/Penn are better schools, and if they are- its negligible.

All 3 schools are pretty equal on even money with a slight advantage to Penn

Like everyone else said- Mayo

The money and the connections are the two biggest factors here and they're both massively in Mayo's favor. I don't even know if WashU/Penn are better schools, and if they are- its negligible.
Yeah fair point. But do you think the family and support aspect of going to penn shouldnt matter in this case?

Yeah fair point. But do you think the family and support aspect of going to penn shouldnt matter in this case?
Oh it totally matters. Its up to you to decide how much weight to give each aspect

When I was choosing I put family support fairly low on the totempole. I prioritized money and ability to connect me into my desired specialty of choice. I figured I'd just facetime my family and see them over the holidays, but I'd be okay for the 4 years with just that. Some people need more for sure which is understandable.

If having that support system immediately accessible is a high priority, that could definitely shift this decision towards Perelman

Reactions: 1 user
Oh it totally matters. Its up to you to decide how much weight to give each aspect

When I was choosing I put family support fairly low on the totempole. I prioritized money and ability to connect me into my desired specialty of choice. I figured I'd just facetime my family and see them over the holidays, but I'd be okay for the 4 years with just that. Some people need more for sure which is understandable.

If having that support system immediately accessible is a high priority, that could definitely shift this decision towards Perelman
I see what everyone is saying about the pros of mayo. I voted for mayo in the poll. But I honestly think that support system may be the #1 factor for the OP based on the strong wording used when talking about it. Up to the OP to determine its weight.

I see what everyone is saying about the pros of mayo. I voted for mayo in the poll. But I honestly think that support system may be the #1 factor for the OP based on the strong wording used when talking about it. Up to the OP to determine its weight.

Yeah so familial support is very very important, something I will have pretty much none of at Mayo for a multitude of reasons. Tbis, in addition to a phenomenal match, are probably the biggest pros for penn.

But does this justify the cost? I’m so lost and idk if if paying double is worth it? I want the answer to be yes, but I just don’t know :/

Have you tried asked Penn about matching at all? I know others have mentioned it’s been a toss up but worth a try

Yeah so familial support is very very important, something I will have pretty much none of at Mayo for a multitude of reasons. Tbis, in addition to a phenomenal match, are probably the biggest pros for penn.

But does this justify the cost? I’m so lost and idk if if paying double is worth it? I want the answer to be yes, but I just don’t know :/
have you ever lived away from your family in undergrad, for example? If it's something you haven't done for an extended period, maybe it's something you can learn to adapt to? I'm sure you know yourself the best, so it's worth reflecting on how much family support will materially affect your quality of life and wellbeing in either scenario(eg. seeing family once a week vs only during holidays).

As for the actual schools and professional considerations, I actually think Mayo might even be better than Penn especially considering that you already have connections to the school. I also want to chime in that you very likely will have no trouble doing whatever you want within medicine if you go to Mayo.

As for cost, I think that it is definitely significant enough to warrant Mayo being your #1. This may be kind of a silly thought experiment, but imagine all the things you could do with the 200K+ in loans you'd save. You could fly home as much as you wanted while in med school.

Regardless, congrats on your decision!