Dont flame me for this question please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor246853

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this program I got accepted to this summer requires me to apply to graduate schools (specifically theirs). They sent a contract along with the acceptance letter, where I agreed to these terms. I am interested in their structural anatomy Phd program. You basically learn about tissure engineering as well as designing surgical tools. Which brings me to my question. I now plan to apply to their dual degree program (Do/Phd) and wanted to know if this will help land a surgical residency; with the right board scores and all. I am interested in the Phd but want a career in medicine (specifically surgery). I feel like I can use the Phd training during my medical career. Good idea or not? Will it benefit me of not? Im in Texas if this matters at all and plan on staying here. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sure. DOs match general surgery pretty frequently, granted you work hard. Just remember do/phd programs are 7 years and you need to add another 5 years of general surgery to that

Sure. DOs match general surgery pretty frequently, granted you work hard. Just remember do/phd programs are 7 years and you need to add another 5 years of general surgery to that
Yeah, I know its 6-7 years more but I will have to apply to phd anyways if I accept. I think my chances of getting into their Phd program is extremely high due to my connects there and my CV. I know its hard to match into surgery programs though and would like to maximize my chances while learning more at the same time. Just the thought of creating new tools for surgery is so cool to me:rolleyes: and then using them in practice afterwards!:cool: I would die a happy man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just because you have to apply to their program does not mean you have to accept. Although it may lower you changes of being accepted to their MD program depending on how much people talk there or how big the program is.

Yeah, I know its 6-7 years more but I will have to apply to phd anyways if I accept. I think my chances of getting into their Phd program is extremely high due to my connects there and my CV. I know its hard to match into surgery programs though and would like to maximize my chances while learning more at the same time. Just the thought of creating new tools for surgery is so cool to me:rolleyes: and then using them in practice afterwards!:cool: I would die a happy man.

From what I know general surgery isn't THAT competitive, it's probably mid tier difficulty. What is hard is the sub specialties you can enter after general

Just because you have to apply to their program does not mean you have to accept. Although it may lower you changes of being accepted to their MD program depending on how much people talk there or how big the program is.
You know, I didn't think of that.... And what do you mean "how much people talk or how big the program is"?

From what I know general surgery isn't THAT competitive, it's probably mid tier difficulty. What is hard is the sub specialties you can enter after general
Yeah, but I would want to specialize sooner or later.

You know, I didn't think of that.... And what do you mean "how much people talk or how big the program is"?

I mean, is there talk between the PhD program you have to apply to and the DO program. The medical school may be fairly separate from the PhD programs and the med school would have no idea you had signed a contract to apply to the PhD program. If the med school would know about you doing this summer program and then just saying f the PhD program they really wanted you to do for med school it may (probably will) come across as disingenuous. Just my 2 cents though.