Substance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
According to a new lifestyle survey study, the least satisfied specialties are the following:

Critical Care Medicine
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Neurosurgery
Nephrology

This is quite the change from the numbers 10 years ago, where we were MOOOOing our way to misery.

The study also finds that, get this, being paid more-per-hour is positively correlated to job satisfaction! Who would've thunk it!?

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/9/166http://www.biomedcentral.com.libaccess.lib.mcmaster.ca/1472-6963/9/166

To all new applicants, don't get CONNed. Go for the ROAD.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2010
Status
MD/PhD Student
Did anyone else hope this post was about aldosterone-secreting adrenal adenomas? Anyway, I am shocked about renal being on the least satisfied list - I thought dialysis centers were very lucrative.

BlazerMed

King Arthur
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2006
Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Did anyone else hope this post was about aldosterone-secreting adrenal adenomas? Anyway, I am shocked about renal being on the least satisfied list - I thought dialysis centers were very lucrative.
I thought it was going to be someone mad at UConn.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Status
According to a new lifestyle survey study, the least satisfied specialties are the following:

Critical Care Medicine
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Neurosurgery
Nephrology

This is quite the change from the numbers 10 years ago, where we were MOOOOing our way to misery.

The study also finds that, get this, being paid more-per-hour is positively correlated to job satisfaction! Who would've thunk it!?

Linked removed...

To all new applicants, don't get CONNed. Go for the ROAD.
Well, your link gave away your residency program.... tis tis... But, after you PM'ed me, out the goodness of my heart, I am editing this post to keep your anonymity. Enjoy this free pass...

Last edited:

thedrjojo

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
dialysis centers are very lucrative... they have gaurenteed funding... however, doctors don't see a cent from those places... just another example of how health care costs are not going towards doctors fees

Bobblehead

15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
It's interesting they mention pulmonary/critical care as one of the least satisfied specialities but skip any discussion of why that is compared to the token mention of the other less satisfied specialties.

WestcoastMedicine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
New York
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Glad to see pediatric categories all towards the top even though they notoriously get paid less

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
Did anyone else hope this post was about aldosterone-secreting adrenal adenomas?
You are insane. No one, I believe, would hope that it was about Conn's Syndrome. And I'm out of med school 8 years, and had a PA try to pimp me on it - he had this zebra of a case, and he said "What is it?", and I said "Conn's Syndrome - hyperaldosteronism". And I'm not even an IM flea!

Occam's Razor would give you the "University of Connecticut".

Insane. Insane, I tells ya! Insane in the membrane. Insane in the brain!

[YOUTUBE]RHcWx9BNZ9I[/YOUTUBE]

Rabbit Hole

We're all mad here.
Dec 29, 2009
Wonderland
Status
Medical Student
You are insane. No one, I believe, would hope that it was about Conn's Syndrome. And I'm out of med school 8 years, and had a PA try to pimp me on it - he had this zebra of a case, and he said "What is it?", and I said "Conn's Syndrome - hyperaldosteronism". And I'm not even an IM flea!

Occam's Razor would give you the "University of Connecticut".

Insane. Insane, I tells ya! Insane in the membrane. Insane in the brain!
You.. you got a little bit-o-crazy in ya. I like that! :thumbup:

maxpower75

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Wow,
As a Nephrologist, I am very shocked that we were on that list. To be honest I am very happy with my career choice. However, I am in a relatively large group with a decent lifestyle. Maybe my happiness is someone else's misery!