Don't Give Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitechgrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to give some hope to people out there who haven't gotten accepted. I applied 2 years ago for dental school. I interviewed at 3 schools and was waitlisted by them all. Ultimately, I didn't get in. This application cycle I interviewed at 5 schools and was accepted by them all. The only differences in my application was that I retook my DAT (18 AA to a 20 AA) and I have worked for 2 years in the pharmacuetical industry. So my advice is, don't give up on your dream. Stay positive and when life doesn't go as planned, take another path... it may lead you to a better place in the end.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree....dont give up...last year i was interviewed at 2 schools and got waitlisted and didnt get in...this year i got into a couple of schools...keep trying and dont give up :thumbup:

me too, last year I interviewed at 3 schools and was waitlisted in two and didn't get in...this year I interviewed early at 5 schools and I have an acceptance in hand!

Members don't see this ad :)
mitechgrl said:
I just wanted to give some hope to people out there who haven't gotten accepted. I applied 2 years ago for dental school. I interviewed at 3 schools and was waitlisted by them all. Ultimately, I didn't get in. This application cycle I interviewed at 5 schools and was accepted by them all. The only differences in my application was that I retook my DAT (18 AA to a 20 AA) and I have worked for 2 years in the pharmacuetical industry. So my advice is, don't give up on your dream. Stay positive and when life doesn't go as planned, take another path... it may lead you to a better place in the end.

excellent post. you can always re-apply, and strengthen your credentials in the mean time.

I REALLY appreciate reading this thread because I am waitlisted for two schools so far. What did you guys do differently to get in the second time around?

I retook the DAT... it seems to me that the DAT is so important compared to GPA... at all of my interviews I had a lot to talk about with my work experiences rather than my college experiences... I think that helped a lot too. Taking some time off from school (2 years) really helped me to know what I wanted in my life and I believe that I was better able to express myself.

mitechgrl said:
I retook the DAT... it seems to me that the DAT is so important compared to GPA... at all of my interviews I had a lot to talk about with my work experiences rather than my college experiences... I think that helped a lot too. Taking some time off from school (2 years) really helped me to know what I wanted in my life and I believe that I was better able to express myself.

What did you do w/ the time off? I'm doing research next semester and planning to retake my DAT during the summer (and do MUCH better) and continue to shadow my dentist/work in a lab. I don't want to do more school ever, unless it's dental school.

I worked in quality control at a pharmaceutical company since i graduated in may of 2004

Lake Powell Lvr said:
I REALLY appreciate reading this thread because I am waitlisted for two schools so far. What did you guys do differently to get in the second time around?

I retook the DAT (18AA to 21AA, 17TS to 20TS).

i retook the dats...and i applied early (makes a big difference!)