don't hate on the under 20 DAT crowd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkny2kx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so scared because of all the 20+ DAT crowd and their amazing scores.

I wish i could get over a 20 across the board. For me, personally i took the DAT once and was content with having that as my final score for applying.

But i have what i would call decent DAT's 18AA,19TS,19BIO,18CHM,19ORG,20PAt.

But i would just like to stir up discussions on what people with DAT's under 20 think about their competitive chances getting in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

I am so scared because of all the 20+ DAT crowd and their amazing scores.

I wish i could get over a 20 across the board. For me, personally i took the DAT once and was content with having that as my final score for applying.

But i have what i would call decent DAT's 18AA,19TS,19BIO,18CHM,19ORG,20PAt.

But i would just like to stir up discussions on what people with DAT's under 20 think about their competitive chances getting in somewhere.

I have almost exact same DAT scores. I think they are good, given you have a competitive GPA (or upward trend like myself) and overall good application. I will not retake DAT until I have to, ie scores expire, or averages go way up.

I have very similar scores and I'm pretty optimistic. There's more to an applicant than just DAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about all of those above "20" people here on SDN, most are probably either lying and some well.. they probably deserve to brag IF that is truely the scores that they got. I got in with a 18 this year and my stats were lower then yours. I did however have a pretty good gpa and a very strong application meaning lots of experience, leadership, research, ect. I don't say that to brag only to show the truth because out of the 12 schools that I applied to I only got in at one. Buy hey when it was truely the number one school I wanted to go to it didn't really matter, Go Temple!!! Anyway don't worry about anybody else but yourself. Good luck everyone:banana:

A lot of people on SDN are major players on the DAT. However, it has been posted many, many times that the SDN crowd is representative of only a portion of overall applicants. Don't let it stress you out. Play your own game on the application, do as well as you can on the ECs, LORs, and interview and you'll be in good shape.

My approach was to realize that once I took the DAT and submitted transcripts it was pretty much too late to worry about a lot of change in those two categories for this cycle. Focus on the stuff you can change-schools to apply to, secondaries, secondary fees, interviews, passport photos.

Just took the DAT and got 19/19/19 - with Orgo and reading in 20's.
Hope I get in somewhere.
-Best to you all!

-Dan

and remember just bc the average DAT scores that are posted on SDN are 21-23 doesnt mean thats the average score at MOST schools. if you look on predents, most of the school's averages are around 19. some a lil below and some a lil above.

and remember just bc the average DAT scores that are posted on SDN are 21-23 doesnt mean thats the average score at MOST schools. if you look on predents, most of the school's averages are around 19. some a lil below and some a lil above.

This is correct. My advisor looked at me like I was a crazy guy when I was denying it. Don't let SDN make you a crazy guy/girl.

I'll be preparing for mine soon, and it honestly does get really intimidating on SDN, so I feel you. You have to look at the big picture, everything is taken into account, not just your DAT.

totally feel you guys...i got a 19AA/20OC/20BIO/19GC/21RC/17QR/15PA...i only applied to NYU last year and got waitlisted....this year i applied everywhere...so hopefully they look at more to me than that stupid test...

yea my advisor is even worse than sdn in terms of stressing me out. she says i should get 23s across the board to even be considered in CA :eek::scared:

yea my advisor is even worse than sdn in terms of stressing me out. she says i should get 23s across the board to even be considered in CA :eek::scared:

yah my pre-health advisor is like that also. but in a previous encounter he told me that if they weren't stern and "realistic" like they are, all students would think pre-med/dental would be easy. they need to make the students who aren't serious drop out before they get too far into the cirriculum. as for DAT scores, 20+ is def not the norm overall. one can just check the ADA stats for that with the majority of schools' averages below 20. as long as you don't have a 14-15 tucked somewhere in there, along with a strong application, you have a good chance to get in. goodluck to all of us! :thumbup:

wow look at all the positive reinforcement on this thread. My advisor told me a solid 19 would get you in somewhere gaurenteed. But, i have to admit that i do feel a little shakey about getting in. I really do not want to wait another year.

a 19 isn't going to guarantee you anything, but generally, as long as you have a solid application overall, a 19 should get you in somewhere. You just have to be more selective in terms of what schools you want to apply to (some schools do need 21+ DAT's so do your research before you apply)

I got 19/20/20 and interviewed with baylor last year and was told not to even think about retaking it. It just depends on the rest of your app I guess. By the way my gpa is low so focusing on other ec's is important despite what everyone might say.

I got 19/20/20 and interviewed with baylor last year and was told not to even think about retaking it. It just depends on the rest of your app I guess. By the way my gpa is low so focusing on other ec's is important despite what everyone might say.

You a TX resident?

You do not need 23s to be considered by California schools.

How does applying early help you with a low DAT... don't they still take people with high Scores... b/c thats the easiest thing to see when they call for an interview