dont know about applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioboy9090

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster on here. I have really been stressing out lately, unsure what steps to take. I currently have a 3.0 cGPA and a 3.15 sGPA. MCAT result was a 27 (Bio-9 verbal-9 Physics-9). I have a great upward trend however, with a 3.6 last 60 credit hours. I have over 250 hours volunteering at hospital in E.R., 30 hours shadowing a D.O. in anesthesiology. Also 50 hours shadowing an M.D. (cardiologist). I do not know whether to apply this cycle or wait till next year and try to boost up my gpa with some retakes. I really do not want to wait an extra year to matriculate, and I would love to hear some honest and realistic advice on what i should do next. Thankyou. (BTW im a Ny resident, with an asian background)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, first time poster on here. I have really been stressing out lately, unsure what steps to take. I currently have a 3.0 cGPA and a 3.15 sGPA. MCAT result was a 27 (Bio-9 verbal-9 Physics-9). I have a great upward trend however, with a 3.6 last 60 credit hours. I have over 250 hours volunteering at hospital in E.R., 30 hours shadowing a D.O. in anesthesiology. Also 50 hours shadowing an M.D. (cardiologist). I do not know whether to apply this cycle or wait till next year and try to boost up my gpa with some retakes. I really do not want to wait an extra year to matriculate, and I would love to hear some honest and realistic advice on what i should do next. Thankyou. (BTW im a Ny resident, with an asian background)

Check your other post. I just responded.

do you have any community service, leadership experience, upper level bio classes, research?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your other post. I just responded.

thanks for replying. Unfortunately i do not have any research experience, just the shadowing and volunteering. I know mcat is decent, but do not know if it will make up for low gpa.

I was a member of a biology club at my school if that counts, i do have some upper level bio courses including microbiology, cell biology, and functional anatomy. I got all A's in those courses. One of the main reasons for a low gpa was my C- in organic chem 2. I retook organic chem 1(got a C first time) and got a B+, but at my school i simply cannot afford another $4,000.00 to retake organic chem 2. I just want to have an idea if my application will even be taken serriously.

thanks for replying. Unfortunately i do not have any research experience, just the shadowing and volunteering. I know mcat is decent, but do not know if it will make up for low gpa.
I would try to get that GPA up to at least a 3.2 before applying. It is a difficult task getting into any medical school with a sub 3.2. Right now I would formulate a list of desired schools, visit their websites and see what the average numbers are for accepted students and aim for that GPA.

If money is the problem, try retaking classes at community college.

I was a member of a biology club at my school if that counts, i do have some upper level bio courses including microbiology, cell biology, and functional anatomy. I got all A's in those courses. One of the main reasons for a low gpa was my C- in organic chem 2. I retook organic chem 1(got a C first time) and got a B+, but at my school i simply cannot afford another $4,000.00 to retake organic chem 2. I just want to have an idea if my application will even be taken serriously.

your gpa is your biggest problem, you may have a chance at newer schools and i agree with others that this is kinda a crapshoot. you never really know for sure, applying would be a gamble obviously but it's impossible to tell how much of a gamble for sure. Who knows, you may end up with one acceptance and thats all it takes. I think id try to raise my mcat a little more first but like i said before, you never know

Just put African American on your app.

You must obtain at the least a C in all prereq courses to be accepted to a DO school. Failure to do this will get your acceptance rescinded. That being said you can retake it at a community college for 400-700$.

You must obtain at the least a C in all prereq courses to be accepted to a DO school. Failure to do this will get your acceptance rescinded. That being said you can retake it at a community college for 400-700$.

I am aware this is true for many of the schools, but I have seen many schools say on their website that you just have to pass the pre-reqs and do not require a minimum C. I am hoping this is true orgo 2 is my only C-.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am aware this is true for many of the schools, but I have seen many schools say on their website that you just have to pass the pre-reqs and do not require a minimum C. I am hoping this is true orgo 2 is my only C-.

You could call the schools and ask to speak with an admissions counselor. They'll be able to tell you whether that C- is acceptable or not.

As I've told others on here tonight - if money is not an issue then apply broadly. You cannot be accepted unless you apply. Consider that a year taken off now is a year without salary later.

Why retake courses and try to boost your GPA if you really don't need to? You'll never know unless you apply. Consider it your contingency plan, if you're not accepted this year, but get your application complete very early and apply very broadly!

Yes, apply broadly but be smart about it. Research first and make sure you aren't applying to schools with <3.2 cutoffs.

As I've told others on here tonight - if money is not an issue then apply broadly. You cannot be accepted unless you apply. Consider that a year taken off now is a year without salary later.

Why retake courses and try to boost your GPA if you really don't need to? You'll never know unless you apply. Consider it your contingency plan, if you're not accepted this year, but get your application complete very early and apply very broadly!

Thanks for the advice, i guess that is what i am leaning towards. Im thinking of retaking the mcat end of august hopefully improve to a 30.

With a 27 I feel like there's no reason to retake unless you don't get in this year but that's entirely up to you!

With a 27 I feel like there's no reason to retake unless you don't get in this year but that's entirely up to you!

Yea either retake the mcat or retake orgo 2 lol. If I retake orgo and get a B my science gpa will be 3.28

Ok, but you're only shooting yourself in the foot and locking yourself out of potential medical schools. You need to make your chances as high as possible.

Re: member of the bio club....unless you were an officer, or were actively involved and can get a letter of support from staff or faculty who can attest to your involvement, it won't impress much when the adcom members review your app that you were just a member.

Ok, but you're only shooting yourself in the foot and locking yourself out of potential medical schools. You need to make your chances as high as possible.

Yea I have decided to retake orgo 2 this fall. My question is when to apply, I have put my grades up on AACOMAS and my cGPA= 3.01 and my sGPA=3.06. However, after entering my expected grades for this fall semester, if I apply in December i will have a cGPA=3.13 and sGPA= 3.25. When do you think i should apply?

this is a hard one. i feel you could get into several of the dare i say lower tier DO schools. and depending on letter of rec and ps maybe even some of the higher tier ones. what state do you live in

nvm you said you live in NY. make sure that if you apply apply to all NY DO schools

this is a hard one. i feel you could get into several of the dare i say lower tier DO schools. and depending on letter of rec and ps maybe even some of the higher tier ones. what state do you live in

Thats good to hear lol, but you didnt tell me when to apply, I was thinking december because my gpa would be much better, but all i have seen on SDN is to apply early as possible.

Yea I have decided to retake orgo 2 this fall. My question is when to apply, I have put my grades up on AACOMAS and my cGPA= 3.01 and my sGPA=3.06. However, after entering my expected grades for this fall semester, if I apply in December i will have a cGPA=3.13 and sGPA= 3.25. When do you think i should apply?

Anyone?