don't know anything about NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vipergts66

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the deal with NYU? why do people make fun of it and look down on it? i know nothing about the school, please enlighten me.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have seen, it didnt look bad. The clinics looked good and the faculty was really friendly.

vipergts66 said:
what's the deal with NYU? why do people make fun of it and look down on it? i know nothing about the school, please enlighten me.

I think it's just because of the large class size. Aside from that, I don't see anything bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about this too. Not sure why NYU gets knocked by predents so much.

The only 'bad' thing I've heard is that they fail a high number of students the first year(D1), so that it opens slots for international students coming in as D2. I have absolutely no idea about the truth of this, but plan to ask that this week.

I'm looking forward to December 9--going to NYU for interview.

coreyb said:
I'm curious about this too. Not sure why NYU gets knocked by predents so much.

The only 'bad' thing I've heard is that they fail a high number of students the first year(D1), so that it opens slots for international students coming in as D2. I have absolutely no idea about the truth of this, but plan to ask that this week.

I'm looking forward to December 9--going to NYU for interview.
Ya, I've also heard they have a Really high drop out rate. Can you imagine being a dental school drop out and still having to pay back the NYU high tuition? :eek: Sure you don't plan on being the one who drops out, but niether did they! :barf:

Dutchboy said:
Ya, I've also heard they have a Really high drop out rate. Can you imagine being a dental school drop out and still having to pay back the NYU high tuition? :eek: Sure you don't plan on being the one who drops out, but niether did they! :barf:

Do you all realize if this was true they would lose accreditation??? The ADA just visited last year and gave them the highest honors...not one problem was found with the school. Also the ADA keeps tab on graduation rates, don't you think they would question the school if they noticed a 30% failure rate as stated in the rumor???

Anyways, they now have a program now to catch students that are failing. They review every exam taken and students that struggle get extra attention.

laid to rest, now carry on

*Big class size (the biggest in the nation at something like 240 (not including the 100 or so international students).

*Expensive (this is compared to State school Stonybrook in Long Island).

*Clinics looks blah... I was a patient there for a year, wasn't the best equipment.

* My own experience there wasn't great as a patient for the Stu-Dents.

eliam said:
*Big class size (the biggest in the nation at something like 240 (not including the 100 or so international students).

*Expensive (this is compared to State school Stonybrook in Long Island).

*Clinics looks blah... I was a patient there for a year, wasn't the best equipment.

* My own experience there wasn't great as a patient for the Stu-Dents.

All clinics are being re done. 5th floor is finished. 4th floor and 3rd floor are going to be re-done this summer.

No matter what dental school you are a patient at, your experience will not be at par with a private practice. You have to remember you are being treated by a student that needs to be checked on, therefore procedures take much much longer than normal

Cost, well get good grades and it will be half or free. Also if you don't get a scholarship going in, study hard and in 3rd year they hand out some.