don't know if SMP is right for me.. help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fattymangox03

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little overwhelmed. After getting back my MCAT scores last month, I've been doing a lot of thinking and researching, but I'm still confused as to what I should do.

Some background info:
-GPA: 3.45 (both science and cumulative)
-June MCAT: 25R. 10PS, 7VR, 8BS
-I've considered applying to D.O. schools but I'd really hate to apply as a fall back choice and I don't really have any experience or knowledge about D.O. at all. I plan on shadowing D.O. physicians my senior year to see if this is something that I'm interested in because I really like/agree with their philosophy.

Meanwhile... I've been thinking about SMP. I'm thinking about continuing with my graduation plans for April 2009 (with a bachelor's degree in Neuroscience), applying for (most likely) D.O. schools (probably will not retake MCAT..? dont want to at least.. should I?) and if accepted into SMP, will enroll and interview at med schools in fall 2009.

I guess my main question is, is SMP even right for me? I'm definitely not ready to apply to med schools this cycle. But I want to keep up with studying the year after I graduate while I'm applying to med schools. And if I'm going to be in school (and spend $$$), I would like a degree upon graduation. My GPA is not too low for D.O. schools but it's not competitive either.

I dont want this to sound like I'm asking people what to do. I just want some advice/feedback so that I can make the right decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you have 1 more year to up your gpa over that 3.45. You can either apply now for a D.O school and try your chances. Or you can wait 1 year and graduate, retake mcats in 2009 summer, apply for 2010 admissions, if you improve your gpa.

SMPs are there to improve your gpa, but you have 1 more year to up it. wait till jan. 2009 before applying to smps, because that is when it opens up for fall 2009 admissions. So if you do find yourself around a 3.45 gpa again next year, you can help increase your chances for MD by taking a SMP and doing well (3.5+gpa). But if you do poorly, you can do more harm than good to your application. then you can probably think about DO schools.

i had a 3.45 gpa overall and sci out of college and decided to attend a SMP this fall to improve my gpa. It is borderline, but there are already alot of people qualified stats-wise for medical school. They say there are 3 qualified people for every 1 spot. So what better way to show adcoms you are ready by taking the actual med school classes in these smps. It is a risk i guess, but if you do well, i think your basically guaranteed an interview and maybe acceptances to soem schools.

hmm.. so i would apply to smp in january 09, graduate, enroll in smp fall 09, graduate, then apply to med schools? but that still gives me a gap year while i'm applying, which is what i'm trying to avoid..

is attending smp "just to do something" while applying to DO uncommon? i know it's really expensive but i think taking classes along with med students would help me when i eventually attend med school, no?

thanks!!

Some smps last for 1 year and some last 2 years. So you can probably apply next summer for med school if you think ur gpa is good enough. Or you can apply 2010 summer for 2011 admissions. For a two year program, you would take classes for 1 year then 2nd year would do a thesis or lab work. So inbetween during the summer of the 1st and 2nd year, you could apply with your classwork already done. so in this case there wouldnt be a real lag year.