dont know what to do..should i take the mcat again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marid0721

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i just got my scores for the MCAT today..its the second time i took it. i got a 20 on both

first time v 7 p7 b 6
second time v 10 p 7 b 3

my gpa is 3.5

and i have tons of extracurricular activities and experience and i did the summer internship at temple podiatry school

i didnt expect to do that poor on the bio but it test stuff about the digestive system that i didnt cover in depth like needed to ace that portion...

do podiatry schools look at your overall scores..do they look at both mcat scores..i dont know what to do and im freaking out.

Members don't see this ad.

so i just got my scores for the MCAT today..its the second time i took it. i got a 20 on both

first time v 7 p7 b 6
second time v 10 p 7 b 3

my gpa is 3.5

and i have tons of extracurricular activities and experience and i did the summer internship at temple podiatry school

i didnt expect to do that poor on the bio but it test stuff about the digestive system that i didnt cover in depth like needed to ace that portion...

do podiatry schools look at your overall scores..do they look at both mcat scores..i dont know what to do and im freaking out.

You prob would have been better off applying with your first MCAT score. Now that you have taken it a second time and have scored really low in the BIO section you put yourself in quite a bind. ANY graduate level science program (MD, DO and even DPM) will look at that Bio score and totally think you would NOT be able to handle a high credit science curriculum. You overall GPA is SOLID but that Bio section score is going to make things difficult for you...even when trying to apply to Podiatry school programs. You might have to take it again.

To be sure I would suggest calling or e-mailing the admissions offices of the schools you are interested in applying to and get their take on your situation. Then go from there.

i know but my mom was pressuring me into taking it again..

will the schools take into consideration that i passed all my bio classes with A's minus 3 i got Bs in

Members don't see this ad :)
i know but my mom was pressuring me into taking it again..

will the schools take into consideration that i passed all my bio classes with A's minus 3 i got Bs in

I am not an admissions person...just merely a student. I'm sure they would consider it but some schools won't even extend you an interview if you score below a 5 in any section of the MCAT BEFORE they even look at your application. Again, you are best off calling around rather than asking for advice from other current and pre-pod students. Once you get a real idea of where you stand then you can decide what to do next. My gut feeling, though, is that you should retake the MCAT one more time. Your GPA is solid and a slightly higher MCAT score that is more evenly spread out should do the trick for an acceptance. Good luck.

Exhibit A as to why you shouldn't repeat the MCAT. Almost never a good idea. Just remember air bud, she brought you into this world, she can also take you out of it...

Short answer, yes I would retake.

The first exam would probably have gotten you in but like others have said, the sub-5 score is going to hurt. Dig out the ol' MCAT study books and hit bio up hard. Remember, aside from the few discrete questions they ask, a lot of the rest can be answered from the passages.

Best of luck.