Don't like chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rowerpharm

P1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might seem like a weird question, but...

I don't like chemistry, but have enjoyed working in two different pharmacies. Do all pharmacists like chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

From the majority of pharmacists I have met they are really into chemistry. Chemistry is one of the foundations of pharmacy. You need to at least appreciate it and understand it. There is no escaping chemistry in pharmacy school so you better do some soul searching before you decide to apply. I personally found some parts of Gen Chem boring, but I am a fan of Orgo and Biochem.

Thank you for your reply. I've always felt drawn to pharmacy, but I have not taken organic chem yet. Hopefully I will enjoy that and be relatively good at it so that I can fully solidify my pharmacy dreams :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't love chemistry but I don't hate it either. It can be interesting, though I found ochem only mildly interesting most of the time. I honestly had to force myself to stay awake in ochem sometimes when the professor was babbling on and on reading straight out of the book (which I usually already read the night before), but then she would ask you to do a question so that would usually snap me back into focus. Anyway, point is, I don't love chemistry and I don't think it's necessory to love it either. As long as you understand it and can do well in the class, I don't think it matters if you aren't a complete chemistry geek :p

Case in point, see below, not that there's anything wrong with it (I love your enthusiasm DoctorRx1986!!), I just didn't find ochem all that fascinating! Learning detailed mechanisms and figuring out different retrosynthesis' was not fun... I'm hoping it'll get better in pharm school.

Last edited:
I absolutely love chemistry with such a passion I would give up my life for it. :love::love::love::love: Just think, there is chemistry everywhere. Life itself is based on chemistry. The fuels that power our vehicles and warm our homes in the winter are based on hydrocarbon chemicals. The very cosmetics women use to enhance their beauty are mostly organic compounds and contain beautiful aromatic rings, chains, and other functional groups. All pharmaceuticals are chemicals, mostly organic. So, next time you take an ibuprofen tablet, think of the ring it contains in its structure. :) Modern day conveniences such as LCD/plasma televisions, computers, remote controls, etc... are all composed of plastics and synthetic polymers that real chemists in real labs make for the benefit of society. Let's not forget food. We all need to eat, don't we? Well, think chemistry again. Chemistry is found in foods as well. The 60% of carbohydrates recommended consists of numerous aldehydes and ketones in their structure as well as hydroxyl groups. If it weren't for chem, we would not have any of the above necessities/conveniences. As a matter of fact, no one would be able to post here on SDN without chemistry. Why? That is because the very keyboard you're using has chemistry behind it. That cockroach crawling near the garage is messing around with your head? Be grateful and thank chemistry for providing the very poison you need to kill that SOB pest. :)

Absolutely all of our joys, frustrations, anger, hostility, love, jealousy, and lust for sexual intercourse are all based on chemistry. All of these emotions we experience occur because of chemicals in our brain. The motivation I've had in writing this post is based on chemistry in my brain. So, next time you eat a slice of chocolate cake and delight in your senses or the next time you interact with your partner and feel pleasure, think for a moment that simple compounds you don't even know or think about are involved in your gratification. Dopamine is involved in pleasurable sensations. Without it, you would not be able to sense as much pleasure or coordinate yourself well. Dopamine is a chemical. Acetylcholine, epinephrine, the very toilet paper you use to clean after yourselves...ALL CHEMISTRY. So, next time you think about anything you're doing at the moment, think again. Think once more. Think about how chemistry is involved in the activity you are performing at that instance. So, learn, appreciate, enjoy, and look at everything in wonder and amazement. And think CHEMISTRY! :love::love::love:

That cockroach crawling near the garage is messing around with your head? Be grateful and thank chemistry for providing the very poison you need to kill that SOB pest. :)
Did someone call a toxicologist? I might be able to "prescribe" a few organophosphates if you've got pest control issues... :rolleyes:

I actually majored in Chemistry first. Pharmacy came later. I absolutely love the stuff, especially Organic regardless of how difficult the material is.

In all truth, *loving* chem might be an issue to consider. If you can stomach sitting through the necessary general and organic classes, then having to take med-chem or *gulp* physical chemistry in grad-school might seem like an afterthought.

Consider it this way: if everyone else can stomach a few more chem exams, I don't think you have to necessarily love the material if you've already committed to pursuing this profession with your full heart :thumbup:

wow, i liked chemistry too, and tutored it for my ochem teacher a year after i completed it, but i can say i love it as passionately as DoctorRX1986 puts it. I really enjoyed Ochem and just did Gchem. I dont think u have to love it, but it is better if u do have some interest in it outside of purely the requirements. if ur in the kind of mindframe like, ok only 1 more chem class, or 2 more, i think you will suffer throughout pharmacy school, or even end up leaving it. i think if u like chemistry (especially organic) then it is a big plus in kudos in pharmacy school.

But gotta applaud DoctorRX1986's enthusiasm, go doc. lol

I loved gen chem I and II (I'm a math person and loved all the calculations). I HATED, HATED, HATED organic!! This concerned me b/c I thought a pharmacist must be proficient in organic chemistry so I polled all of the pharmacists that I work with. The result? 100% of them HATED it as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the pharmacy students I work with felt it was more important to enjoy biology. So that's my take.

Hmm, maybe I better start figuring out a different career path, because I am not liking Chemistry at all. Biology, eh, I can take it or leave it, it makes more sense to me than chemistry, I am not understanding chemistry at all.

I worry about this every day. I know that I want a job where I am making a difference in people's lives and living in CA I need something that can support my family, I thought Pharmacy was the right avenue. Right now my husband is the sole provider of the family (IT), but, he is getting burnt out, so I want to be able to pick up the slack.

Maybe today will be the day I go to walgreens to ask about shadowing.

Hmm, maybe I better start figuring out a different career path, because I am not liking Chemistry at all. Biology, eh, I can take it or leave it, it makes more sense to me than chemistry, I am not understanding chemistry at all.

I worry about this every day. I know that I want a job where I am making a difference in people's lives and living in CA I need something that can support my family, I thought Pharmacy was the right avenue. Right now my husband is the sole provider of the family (IT), but, he is getting burnt out, so I want to be able to pick up the slack.

Maybe today will be the day I go to walgreens to ask about shadowing.

Yeah I'm a big fan of biology, but not so much of chemistry. I'm hoping that it'll get better once they intertwine (biochemistry, pharmacology/medchem). I did not like gen. chem. or organic at all, but hopefully I'll find it interesting once it'll get more practical

I absolutely adore Chemistry. My GPA would have been super good if I only majored in chemistry and not biology also. Oh well, I like both subjects. They complement each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I HATED general chemistry with a dying passion, but I did enjoy organic WHEN I got the hang of it. I have talked with numerous pharmacists who said that you DO NOT have to love chemistry to do this job. The chemistry you do as a pharmacist is much different then the chemistry you do in undergrad courses. It will have much more meaning and applications than balancing equations and things. If you like working in the pharmacy, I would say go for it. IMO, you don't have to love chemistry, you just need to be able to tolerate it.

In my experience, chemistry in pharmacy school is taught differently than in undergrad pre-reqs. In pharmacy school, we learn why things like solubility and acid/base chemistry are so important in drug development. Things are put more into the perspective of how it will work in the body, and why.

It's hard for me to explain, but in gchem and ochem, you just learn the material as a means to an end (degree or pre-req). In pharmacy school, you take the important things from those classes and learn why it is relevant to drugs and physiology.

I hope this makes sense to someone.:D

I loved gen chem I and II (I'm a math person and loved all the calculations). I HATED, HATED, HATED organic!! This concerned me b/c I thought a pharmacist must be proficient in organic chemistry so I polled all of the pharmacists that I work with. The result? 100% of them HATED it as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the pharmacy students I work with felt it was more important to enjoy biology. So that's my take.

Learn to love carbon...:thumbup::D He is your friend...read one of my posts above and you realize just how loyal he is in your everyday life. :love:

In my experience, chemistry in pharmacy school is taught differently than in undergrad pre-reqs. In pharmacy school, we learn why things like solubility and acid/base chemistry are so important in drug development. Things are put more into the perspective of how it will work in the body, and why.

It's hard for me to explain, but in gchem and ochem, you just learn the material as a means to an end (degree or pre-req). In pharmacy school, you take the important things from those classes and learn why it is relevant to drugs and physiology.

I hope this makes sense to someone.:D

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I feel relieved to know that not everyone loves the prerequisite chemistry classes. I have to agree with the people who enjoy biology. I really liked physiology, and loved learning how drugs impact all of the physiological processes in the body. So I guess even though I don't like chemistry, I am still okay in choosing this field :)

Learn to love carbon...:thumbup::D He is your friend...read one of my posts above and you realize just how loyal he is in your everyday life. :love:

OK, so where is the throwing up smilie? lol.

Mostly what I hated about this class was the drawing. I don't do cartoons! :p

its okay, I don't like biology

i'm really glad someone started this thread because i'm having the same feelings about chemistry...i'm taking it right now and i really don't love it at all... i like biology better. but maybe when i get to organic it will be better? gosh now i'm scared.

I'll take chemistry but biolgy i dont like, guess cos no numbers. yes, i'm a maths person

If you don't like general and organic chemistry, take physical chemistry. After that, you will have an appreciation for lower level chemistry courses.

If you don't like general and organic chemistry, take physical chemistry. After that, you will have an appreciation for lower level chemistry courses.

AHAHAHA! Hilarious. I totally agree. Were you a Chem undergrad major? That's what I tell all my friends who are taking G-Chem & O-Chem. Luckily, they won't ever have to take P-chem & the rest of the upper division chem classes.

AHAHAHA! Hilarious. I totally agree. Were you a Chem undergrad major? That's what I tell all my friends who are taking G-Chem & O-Chem. Luckily, they won't ever have to take P-chem & the rest of the upper division chem classes.

Yeah, I just finished my chemistry degree a week ago. Unfortunately, it won't all be official until the middle of August :(

I can't wait to graduate in chemistry degree, end of this year... Right now just trying to take as many classes to satisfy whatever prereqs left...

Btw, what is the favourite chemistry class for those of you who have an undergrad degree in chemistry ?? ..

I loved analytical chemistry. Everything had to be so precise and accurate.. and my lecturer was really cool. He would grade us by taking 1 point out of every percent error there is in our results, but he also helped us along the way in our experiments... so it was really challenging but fun at the same time !!

peace out ...

I can't wait to graduate in chemistry degree, end of this year... Right now just trying to take as many classes to satisfy whatever prereqs left...

Btw, what is the favourite chemistry class for those of you who have an undergrad degree in chemistry ?? ..

I loved analytical chemistry. Everything had to be so precise and accurate.. and my lecturer was really cool. He would grade us by taking 1 point out of every percent error there is in our results, but he also helped us along the way in our experiments... so it was really challenging but fun at the same time !!

peace out ...

How could you possibly say you LOVED analytical chemistry?? You must be crazy....lol. Anal chem was pretty ANAL in my opinion...titrations for 6 hours straight...insane. But in any case, I loved ochem. :love:

Here's how I would rank the chem classes from most favorite to least favorite:

Ochem > Chemical Biology > Gchem > Analytical Chem > Pchem > Inorganic Chem

The only reason why I put inorganic chem at the bottom was because my professor sucked and screwed us over for the lab portion.