Don't most people take out massive loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharkfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't most people take out lots of loan money for medical school? I feel like banging my head against a wall because my father doesn't want me to take out any loans and no matter how hard I try I can't get it through his head that doing this is pretty much the only way!! Arrrrrrrg!!

So I am just checking to make sure the things I am trying to beat into his head are actually true. (And yeah, I know I should just do whatever I want to do in the end, but this guy is extremely difficult to deal with just in regular day-to-day conversations.)

So am I right?

+pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Sharkfan
Don't most people take out lots of loan money for medical school? I feel like banging my head against a wall because my father doesn't want me to take out any loans and no matter how hard I try I can't get it through his head that doing this is pretty much the only way!! Arrrrrrrg!!

So I am just checking to make sure the things I am trying to beat into his head are actually true. (And yeah, I know I should just do whatever I want to do in the end, but this guy is extremely difficult to deal with just in regular day-to-day conversations.)

So am I right?

+pissed+

Yes, most people take out 100,000 to 250,000 in loans. What suggestions does your father have? The only options, as far as I see it are loans, military, merit scholarship (very few available, and NHCS. So if you don't want to go to the military, don't want to limit yourself to primary care, you have to get loans. Unless Dad wants to foot the bill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just tell him that he can foot the bill and then you won't have to take out any loans:)

Don't go the miltary route unless you truly want to be in the military, I know a ton of students who took the money and later regretted it after they found out what military medicine is all about.

Unless he is going to pay for it, you will have no choice but to take out lots of dollars in loans. Let him know that most schools go as far as forbidding their med students from working during med school because of the rigorous education you will be receiving.

I took out full loans, got some scholarships but they deduct that off what they give you in loans, and worked all the way through medical school. The only time I had trouble working was my 3rd year. All other years you can work part-time but will still need student loans to get you by. Try buying a house if you can. That is one reason I needed to work, but I just sold my house today and will make 38K profit and I put nothing down on the house. It offsets your student loan debt somewhat.