Don't re-apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronmillsey

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, you are all making a big mistake by applying to only M.D Schools

Here is my 2 steps to ensuring Med School acceptance:

A.) Apply to the selected M.D Schools you want

B.) Also apply to D.O & Carribean

You cant go wrong. If A.) fails, then B.) is 100% going to accept you, so take the acceptance and run.

You dont want to delay your life. Yes its hard to swallow taking the DO path or the carribean path, but you know what, you are also to blame for that, but dont punish yourself by delaying one year of your precious life.

Look I know DO is not MD, but your patients wont know that. As long as you dont tell them you're a DO, then they will think you're an MD so honestly there is nothing to worry about
and if u go to carribean, you can come back, maybe not a sweet residency program, but who cares, you will be rich in the end

Members don't see this ad.

The advice is solid for some people, though, I think. However, Carribean may not be a good idea, because if you can't get into residency programs coming out of there, you will also be delaying one year...except you'll be many thousands of dollars in debt then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have too many qualms with the advice per se. Yes, one can argue that applying to DO schools or Caribbean schools would be beneficial to some students who aren't strong applicants for an MD school.

However, troll is written all over this post in the tone.

Look I know DO is not MD, but your patients wont know that. As long as you dont tell them you're a DO, then they will think you're an MD so honestly there is nothing to worry about

Advising applicants to implicitly mislead patients that you're something "better" (as implied in his post) than you are is pretty low.

Finally, his exhortation that it doesn't matter, and we'll all be rich in the end is just icing on the cake.

the OP (ronmillsey) in a different thread said:
hi guys, im not exactly a genius or something, so im actually rethinking of my career choices, so im down grading from Med to pre-pharm(or something else)
My GPA is currently below a 3.0, but I heard that i wont have a uhge problem geting into pharm schools as long as I can get a solid PCAT score-input is needed thanks happy eid

This is the guy giving advice about not re-applying.

I don't have too many qualms with the advice per se. Yes, one can argue that applying to DO schools or Caribbean schools would be beneficial to some students who aren't strong applicants for an MD school.

Advising applicants to implicitly mislead patients that you're something "better" (as implied in his post) than you are is pretty low.

Finally, his exhortation that it doesn't matter, and we'll all be rich in the end is just icing on the cake.

Troll? Sounds more like a Elf to me.

Anyway ron go back to baking your little cookies in your little oak tree.

It kinda sounds like he's just not terribly smart.

You cant go wrong. If A.) fails, then B.) is 100% going to accept you, so take the acceptance and run.

You dont want to delay your life. Yes its hard to swallow taking the DO path or the carribean path, but you know what, you are also to blame for that, but dont punish yourself by delaying one year of your precious life.

and if u go to carribean, you can come back, maybe not a sweet residency program, but who cares, you will be rich in the end

Essentially, if you reapply to any medical school (note reapply), you need to upgrade your application in every way that you can. Don't just reapply with the application that obviously didn't work for you before. Upgrade your PS, upgrade your uGPA and upgrade your MCAT if you can and know that those things were not competitive.

Just reapplying isn't going to get you into medical school. While reapplication may indicate that you are serious about attending medical school (who would spend the application fee money for recreational purposes), you do need to take an objective look at your previous application and make changes that will allow you to be more competitive.

Every year, uGPAs for matriculants have increased and the average MCAT for matriculants has increased. You are only as competitive as you are within the pool of applicants to the schools that you apply to. This means that if you previously applied to a school that experiences a surge of more competitive applicants this year compared to last year, you won't be competitive if you haven't upgraded.

If you want to apply to DO schools then do so as they are a very sound choice for practicing medicine in this country. Do realize that osteopathic medical school competitiveness has been increasing every year too. Getting into an osteopathic medical school is by no means an assurance.

Going offshore is very problematic. If you realize those limitations ahead of time and are willing to deal with a huge unknown that is very expensive in the long run, then offshore may work for you. Rules for practice of offshore grads in this country change yearly and with healthcare reform, will likely change drastically.

The other thing to keep in mind is that medicine is not going to be a means to "make you rich" unless you already have that trust fund well invested.

This is why applying early makes sense and working on a solid "Plan B" early makes sense. No matter what you put out there, there is always the chance that you may have to reapply. If this happens, have a solid and readily executable plan for upgrading your application.

Okay dude D.O. is just as good as M.D....in my opinion D.O. is better! D.O. brings something extra to the table! So I dont know who you are trying to down grade D.O. In my opinion if you really want to be a doctor it should be so that you can take care of God's people...not to be rich or not for a title! So before you start putting down D.O. I think you should check yourself as in go shadow a D.O. or read some literature on it! A D.O. is a doctor...you arent...have a blessed day!

D.O. isn't a good option for everyone though. I'm an immigrant myself and there's a possibility that I may practice in my home country some day. Since generally, DO degrees are not as recognized outside of the U.S. as MD degrees, it's not nearly as attractive of an option for me.

Okay dude D.O. is just as good as M.D....in my opinion D.O. is better! D.O. brings something extra to the table! So I dont know who you are trying to down grade D.O. In my opinion if you really want to be a doctor it should be so that you can take care of God's people...not to be rich or not for a title! So before you start putting down D.O. I think you should check yourself as in go shadow a D.O. or read some literature on it! A D.O. is a doctor...you arent...have a blessed day!

Yeah, that's why all so many DO family medicine residency seats go unfilled every year, because DOs are less greedy and more selfless than MDs. :rolleyes:

This guy makes threads that don't give very good advice. I'm not saying that it's not good advice to consider DO and Caribbean, but the tone and the way he says it is stupid. Good, he's banned now.

YOU SOUND LIKE A USED CAR SALESMAN
:troll: