Dont read if you are negative

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jules0328

DOSchoolWannaBe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will probably regret posting this thread but i have a question for those of you who are not narrowed minded about this whole application process.

But, here is the dilemma that I seem to be having. I really want to go to DO school and I plan on applying to 15 DO schools. At this time, I have a 3.45 science gpa according to ACCOMAS. Yet, for AMCAS, my gpa is a whooping 3.014. I have been struggling with the fact about whether or not to even apply to MD schools with this kind of gpa. Now, I know you all are saying, if I really want to be a DO, why MD schools? The answer, its a number game, and I am trying to increase in my chances. I am a non traditional student and married, so location is key for me, for the most part. The other thing is, time, my apps will not be complete until end of October due to taking the August MCAT. My question is, should I even invest the money in MD school apps? I am only applying to 7 MD schools and for the most part they are all east coast. Is this worth it? Maybe some of you have been struggling with this same question can help me. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jules0328 said:
I will probably regret posting this thread but i have a question for those of you who are not narrowed minded about this whole application process.

But, here is the dilemma that I seem to be having. I really want to go to DO school and I plan on applying to 15 DO schools. At this time, I have a 3.45 science gpa according to ACCOMAS. Yet, for AMCAS, my gpa is a whooping 3.014. I have been struggling with the fact about whether or not to even apply to MD schools with this kind of gpa. Now, I know you all are saying, if I really want to be a DO, why MD schools? The answer, its a number game, and I am trying to increase in my chances. I am a non traditional student and married, so location is key for me, for the most part. The other thing is, time, my apps will not be complete until end of October due to taking the August MCAT. My question is, should I even invest the money in MD school apps? I am only applying to 7 MD schools and for the most part they are all east coast. Is this worth it? Maybe some of you have been struggling with this same question can help me. Thanks

My reply won't really help all that much, but I am really in a similar situation. When I apply I will have AMCAS numbers around 3.4 science and 3.05 overall, ACCOMAS numbers that will be like 3.6 science and 3.4 overall. I am also a non traditional. I am only going to apply to MD schools that are close to me. I am going to apply to my state school, as well as some nearby private schools. I am also going to apply to my state DO school, as well as some other out of state DO schools. I know that it is stressful to start factoring in chances etc. . ., but just try to stay positive and if you pray, now is the time to do it. I know that people can be extremely nasty and negative on here. That is usually because they are just as worried as you are about admission, or they are completely unaware of what a nontraditional has to go through and they have a 3.9999, at 22 years old, just out of undergrad. Not that I have anything against such people, I think it is great they were able to acheive like that, but at the same time when you are married, maybe have kids and you found medicine as your calling later in life etc. . . It is just an entirely different game. I wish you the best of luck in everything. I am sure you will do well.

Jules, first off, why would you regret posting this question? The only thing that you have to be narrow minded about is becoming a doctor, period. If that is your number one goal, then the two letters that follow your name are insignificant...just as long as you're a doctor. :thumbup:

I'm actually in a similar boat. I met with my dean last week and he advised applying to both...why not. :confused: But with a border line GPA you have to be very strategic about which schools to apply to, both allo and osteo. Do your research into each school and their stats, what type of students do they admit? You never know until you try...

Good luck :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt bother with it. I finished an advanced degree but my undergrad science gpa of a 3.0 screwed me despite my MCRAP score of 30 and as of yet, all I got were MD waitlists.

With that said, I got into both DO schools I applied to.

OK, it'll depend on your MCAT score. I didn't have the best overall GPA, very good upward trend though, but had a nice MCAT score. Got into several MD programs eventually. However, this also depends on which schools u apply to...lol....In other words, don't apply to extremely high ranking schools, apply to ur state schools, and don't waste money on other state's public schools. I say just apply to both MD/DO :thumbup: U never know....maybe u'll get a good interview with a chairman of admissions committee.

yeah, you are all correct and I appreciate your comments. The letters after my name do not manner, but I need to keep my options open which is why i am also applying to MD schools. I am only applying to 7 MD schools and then 15 DO's.

I am currently taking orgo I with lab and have to take orgo ii with lab in the fall. I hope to get A's in both and get my science gpa a bit higher for MD schools butI doubt it will make much of a dent on it. I guess applying to MD schools cannot hurt, only my wallet in the long run.

Thanks guys.

It depends on your MCAT score. Since you don't actually have it yet, you'll have to make do with whatever you've been getting on your practice tests.

The upward trend in GPA would help (assuming this is your case), but to have a decent chance at an allopathic school with those scores, I would think you need at least 31+.

Applying to 7 schools is limiting yourself. You should apply to a broad range (a large enough number), but be selective in where you apply depending upon the schools' previous matriculant statistics.

On the other hand, if you don't think you have a realistic shot at an allopathic school, and this is why you're only applying to a smaller number, that's completely your choice.

Can't really tell you what's going to happen. This process is somewhat random.

Yes, this process is completely random, I absolutely agree. I am not applying to 20 MD schools because of the money. With my gpa, I will not make the cut off at most MD schools anyway and the apps will be tossed. As far as limiting myself, I am applying to 15 DO schools and dont feel like i am limiting my chances at all when it comes to DO schools. However, I feel that if I dont apply to MD schools, I will regret it always for not just knowing my chances of getting in or not especially since I am limited in relocation. I am from NY and I know that it is very competitive out here, so for me to apply to all of my state schools is worthless, applying to schools like NYU and Columbia is completely out of the question. I am applying to these schools and yet with hesitation:

NYMC, UMDNJ-Robert Wood, Drexel, Temple, Meharry, SUNY Downstate, Albert Einstein

I guess I should also give my overall stats while I am at it:
AACOMAS science gpa - 3.45
AACOMAS non science gpa - 3.23
AMCAS science - 3.10
AMCAS non science - 3.34
MCAT - august 05
BA in Philosophy, Politics, and Law (gpa 3.25)
MA in Exercise Physiology (gpa 3.23)
Research: Publications in arterial compliance, fitness, HIV/AIDS, and stroke volume. Currently working on getting my Masters thesis published: The effects of yoga on HIV+ patients"
Experience: Two years clinical experience working as a clinical exercise physiologist at a city hospital with cariopulmonary patients, stroke, diabetes, HIV+, gun shot wound victims, quadraplegics and paraplegics.

Also have cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation experience along with physical therapy and sports training.

Certifications: ACSM - Health Fitness Instructor, CPR and AED.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on these schools I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

gujuDoc said:
DON'T FORGET ALBANY MED!!!!!!! That's another safety school. Work real real real hard during the next two months and try to get a great MCAT score. If you score overshadows your GPA, you may still have a huge chance at getting in an MD school. If not, DO schools will be your best bet. No one can really determine whether you will or won't get in. There are people with worse GPA's then yours that have gotten in due to higher MCAT scores. So who knows. Your ECs look great. The rest of your app seems like it will be great. Just focus on the MCAT.

Thanks for the suggestion about Albany. Much appreciated.

jules0328 said:
Yes, this process is completely random, I absolutely agree. I am not applying to 20 MD schools because of the money. With my gpa, I will not make the cut off at most MD schools anyway and the apps will be tossed. As far as limiting myself, I am applying to 15 DO schools and dont feel like i am limiting my chances at all when it comes to DO schools. However, I feel that if I dont apply to MD schools, I will regret it always for not just knowing my chances of getting in or not especially since I am limited in relocation. I am from NY and I know that it is very competitive out here, so for me to apply to all of my state schools is worthless, applying to schools like NYU and Columbia is completely out of the question. I am applying to these schools and yet with hesitation:

NYMC, UMDNJ-Robert Wood, Drexel, Temple, Meharry, SUNY Downstate, Albert Einstein

I guess I should also give my overall stats while I am at it:
AACOMAS science gpa - 3.45
AACOMAS non science gpa - 3.23
AMCAS science - 3.10
AMCAS non science - 3.34
MCAT - august 05
BA in Philosophy, Politics, and Law (gpa 3.25)
MA in Exercise Physiology (gpa 3.23)
Research: Publications in arterial compliance, fitness, HIV/AIDS, and stroke volume. Currently working on getting my Masters thesis published: The effects of yoga on HIV+ patients"
Experience: Two years clinical experience working as a clinical exercise physiologist at a city hospital with cariopulmonary patients, stroke, diabetes, HIV+, gun shot wound victims, quadraplegics and paraplegics.

Also have cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation experience along with physical therapy and sports training.

Certifications: ACSM - Health Fitness Instructor, CPR and AED.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on these schools I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hmmm....i do have some issues with ur list and since i'm from NY let me give u some of my ideas. First of all....if u had MCAT score then things would be a lot clearer. Let's say u got 30+...I would definitely apply to ALL FOUR SUNYs! ALL 4!!!! If ur only applying to 7 MD programs, then don't apply to UMDNJ -Robert Wood unless u can link urself to NJ (maybe u grew up there). Trust me UMDNJ will not look at out of state before instate. Also, cut out Albert Einstein, Meharry, and Temple. Apply to all 4 SUNYS!!!! Ur really limiting urself if u dont. :thumbup:

Thanks for that advice. I have cut out UMDNJ, its true about what you say, they really wont look at me.

As for as Drexel, I may cut them out too. But I am applying to Meharry and Temple because they have a high %age of minority admissions. I am a minority (not URM though). I will definitely apply SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Albany and ??? what is the other SUNY? Thanks.

Ok so here's the thing...You say you would go DO but this may change once the process get's rolling...If you can scrap together dough, or feel comfortable going into a little credit card debt I would apply MD and apply WIDE. You never know what is going to happen, or how your feelings will change or what schools you never dreamed you'd hear back from interview you and guess what you love it there. If your MCAT is good I would think you would have a shot...not a great one but a shot nonetheless and why the heck not you know.

I am in a VERY similar boat...3.5/3.55 at the DOs but 3.5/3.36 at the MDs w/ a 30 MCAT. I would be completely psyched to go DO of course, a DO school may even be my first choice but I'm only applying once - this I'm decently sure of as I will take a DO acceptance happily - so I'm going to go all out with the MDs too JUST to keep options open and see how it all works out. Because you don't want to wonder what if.

And as for applying to both IT'S FINE. You're obviously cool with being a DO as am I...to me honestly my career and school will go the exact same way barring probably taking both COMLEX and the USMLEs. Good luck :)

jules0328 said:
Thanks for that advice. I have cut out UMDNJ, its true about what you say, they really wont look at me.

As for as Drexel, I may cut them out too. But I am applying to Meharry and Temple because they have a high %age of minority admissions. I am a minority (not URM though). I will definitely apply SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Albany and ??? what is the other SUNY? Thanks.

Hehe....ur too funny! The SUNYs are SUNY BUffalo, SUNY Upstate (Syracuse), SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn), and SUNY Stony Brook. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have like a 2.7 GPA...should I just not bother applying to MD?

SUNY Stonybrook is a hard school to get into and they look at 3.5 or higher dont they? I have heard they are very stringent in their procedures and application selection. Correct me if I am wrong? Yeah, I asked what the other SUNY was because I didnt think you meant Stonybrook, I doubt that they would even open my app once they saw a big phat 3.10 in front of them, but hey I know,....you never know ! Thanks guys.

timmah2k said:
I have like a 2.7 GPA...should I just not bother applying to MD?

As far as I know, 2.7 is low? Is this science or non science? Are you still in college? We need more info on these numbers.

I graduated with a 2.5 I'm doing a post bacc now and it'll go to 2.7. These numbers are for both science and cumm since they're almost the same.

Hi,

It sounds like you have a good plan. I was also a non-trad applicant with a low gpa (chronic health issue during undergrad), but very strong healthcare work and volunteer experience. I did a post-bacc and got my gpa to about where your's is now. If you are looking for other schools not too far from NY, I would encourage you to apply to UConn. We have quite a few non-trad students in my class and the school is extremely supportive of family and personal issues. From reading your info, it sounds like you may be interested in a school that offers some Complementary and Alternative Medicine in the curriculum. UCONN has recently received a large grant in this area and there are electives offered.

Best of luck to you in the application process.

Deirdre

gujuDoc said:
If you get a high MCAT score, have decent EC's and are in a state that doesn't have super uber high score expectations, then you'll be ok for an MD school.

Actually, in all seriousness, if you get a very high MCAT by focussing the next 2.5 months of your life to the MCAT, then you have a shot at both MD and DO schools as long as the rest of your app is solid and you apply to a broad range of schools.

Apply to schools like Finch, NYMC, Albany, and state schools.

SLU and Drexel also come to mind.

DO schools, a good MCAT and you are good.

if you have a lot of community service...UVM is a good school!

timmah2k said:
I graduated with a 2.5 I'm doing a post bacc now and it'll go to 2.7. These numbers are for both science and cumm since they're almost the same.

The fastest way to raise your GPA is to retake all/most classes you did not do so hot in, those with C's and lower. If I were you I would spend the entire semester taking 12 credits of retake. If you Ace those twelve credits of retake it will boost your GPA for DO schools tremendously. I took the same approach to raise mine. And if you have time throw in a couple of upper division science classes to show the adcoms that you've changed.

I noticed that other posters have said that their science/non-science gpa's will be different on the AMCAS than the AACOMAS, with gpa's typically being higher on the AACOMS app. Why would they be different on the two apps for the same person?

Nicholina said:
I noticed that other posters have said that their science/non-science gpa's will be different on the AMCAS than the AACOMAS, with gpa's typically being higher on the AACOMS app. Why would they be different on the two apps for the same person?

Because AACOMAS does not count Math as a basic science class.

Nicholina said:

In AACOMAS, math is not factored into science GPA. Also the repeated courses are not averaged, rather the most recent scores are taken. AMCAS averages the two.