Don't take a simple life for granted.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really feel for you, having gone through some dramatic changes during my junior year both personally and financially...and at UCLA. I suggest you alert the financial aid office of your situation so that they can adjust your spring quarter aid accordingly. Here's the form I used http://www.fao.ucla.edu/Forms/pdfs/03-04 pyi.pdf basically, you're alerting the financial aid office about what happened to drastically change you or your parent's income. If you have your paper work in order now, you should have no problem getting loans to help you during spring quarter. As for what to do now, I suggest getting an emergency loan from the financial aid office. Definitely go to Murphy so that you won't have to go through this next quarter.
Email or pm me if you want to talk.
I wish you the best of luck.
Take care.
 
OP I sooo thought of you tonight...I was eating these gross noodles and was almost about to throw it out but then I thought of you and ate the rest of it....besides beggars cant be choosy huh? It was something left over in the MESA fridge and I went for it.....Anyways, life always poors down on some of us, thats what will make us such great doctors,,,,lots of experience.
 
Go to the market and buy one of those huge bags of rice and some lentils. It is amazing how long one of those can keep you going and you will be surprised at how cheap it will be. It will be much healthier than eating burgers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I definitely feel for ya. I'm in a similar situation. I didn't get the evict notice but I was pretty damn close to getting it. And food? Heck the only thing in my fridge is usually a pizza that I make last 5 days by eating 2 pieces a day. Despite what an earlier poster said about food stamps and welfare definitely check into it. My research into food stamps led me to believe that if you are a student with a work study job that has you working at least 20/hr per week you would qualify for food stamps (and if your job pays like mine you'd get close to if not full aid). My prob was that my award for this semester is only 14/hr per week.

To the posters that were suggesting loans unfortunately if you try to get a private school loan (ie. Salliemae, Wells Fargo educational, etc) you'll still only be able to take out whatever amount your school says your budget should be. For those of us on the very poor side without parental support that doesn't do us any good since we're already getting our entire "budget" according to the school. However, if you are in extremely dire circumstances, the financial aid office will often come up with ways to increase your budget and get u more in unsubsidized loans in order to be able to keep you in school. They'll use your actual tuition and books bills vs the amount they say you should be paying (for my school that's only 12 credits and pretty much non-science classes lol). In this way my school was able to come up with the money I needed to get thru the rest of this semester. Next year? starting with the summer? Who knows...

Check and see who gets a larger budget for living..off or on campus. If on, move on campus next year. That's what I'll be doing. Of course this only works if despite what your school says your living expenses should be you'd be saving some money by living on campus. Thankfully our school is building some apts on campus for over 21 students that don't have the 11pm weeknite guest curfews lol.

If you're paying for a car and there's public transportation within a reasonable distance to you (ie. within a couple miles walking to get to the bus stop or whatever) sell the car. Yeah it sucks sometimes to have to plan on everything taking at least an hour to get to and from but paying $30/mo for a bus pass (and our school has a discounted pass) is way better than a couple hundred a month for insurance and/or car payments. Plus it's study time 🙂.

Also, my financial aid person suggested this one...if your school has an allowance for a computer you can probably fudge your way into getting the money without getting the computer (assuming you haven't already used this). I'll actually be getting a computer as mine is about to die and I'll need one with an ethernet card for next year in the school housing anyway, but I'm not gonna spend the entire amount that they can give us so I'll get the rest of it to help me thru the summer.

If worst comes to worst stick to however many hours they budget you for for tuition and work as much as you can during the other hours. This way you're still full time so you get the full financial package but you're not overextending yourself. Sure it'll take longer to get thru school, but at least you won't be starving and stressing about finances which will make it soo much easier to get the grades.

Hang in there...we will get thru this and into med school 🙂
 
Hi everyone,

I would like to share something beautiful and heartfelt. I am grateful that my message got through and that's all I'm asking for. It makes me so proud that this is the type of people that may be my colleages someday. Have a wonderful day. Anyone interested in meeting up with me, I'm at the CHS library.

p.s. That McChicken sandwich tasted so good at lunch today!!! I was literally daydreaming about it for a few hours while studying.

Dear -----------,

Thank you for your kind heart. However, I am unable to accept any donations. Although I am extremely poor right now, I have the essentials that God gave me. Courage and wisdom to take on my life challenges. I have a shelter to keep me warm and an educational opportunity that others do not have. Although I will save every penny to go past this, I believe that is enough and I am more than bless to be in my position right now. Please do what you can for those who are in more desperate situations that I am.


quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------wrote on 02-19-2004 05:48 PM:
hi,

I don't know who you are, but since reading your post, I honestly haven't been looking at my own life the same. Every time I eat, I think about your post. Every time the thought "I'm hungry" passes my mind, I feel guilty, knowing that I can't possibly know what Hunger really is.

I don't know who you are, and you don't know who I am. Please allow me to use this anonymity to send you something. Could you please send me an email address, or an address of an office who could forward something to you? Please don't think of it as charity; I am world-minded enough to know that the planet would be a better place if you were well-nourished enough to rock your exams and get into medical school. Plus, it honestly hurts my heart to think of you hungry. One of my best friends in college, now a med student, was in a similar situation.

Please allow me the honor of doing something. You are in my prayers.