Don't Want to Be PI - Still Need MD/PhD?

geeyouknit

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2011
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello,

I feel like I may have seen this topic around, but I didn't know what to search for based on the title of this thread.

I am thinking about MD/PhD, but after talking with some PIs of labs, it seems like most of them do more funding/grant-writing work than actual lab/bench research. At this point, I really don't see myself in a career of trying to find funding/grant-writing. I'd much rather do bench work.

Should I still go for MD/PhD? Is it necessary?
I imagine to be doing bench work, I would at least need to be a post-doc.
If there are other threads like this that you know of, I would appreciate a link to those as well.

Thanks for your help.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
  1. Attending Physician
If you want to do bench research for the rest of your life, in my opinion the best path is to get a master's and become a career lab tech.

You're correct in that PhD, and in particular the PhD training as part of a MD/PhD program, are training for leadership positions as investigators. They supervise, but do not perform experiments on a day to day basis. Their role, as you point out, is to review literature, manage a lab, obtain funding, present data, etc...

solitude

15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
You're correct in that PhD, and in particular the PhD training as part of a MD/PhD program, are training for leadership positions as investigators. They supervise, but do not perform experiments on a day to day basis. Their role, as you point out, is to review literature, manage a lab, obtain funding, present data, etc...

I agree with you. But I would like to point out that these programs do not actually include any real training in leadership. In fact, for most PhD students there is relatively little training in any of those skills you listed. It's basically sink or swim. In my opinion, this is why so many PIs are great bench scientists but incompetent PIs.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.