Don't you get frustrated when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoppe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can't seem to apply what you learn in school in a real pharmacy? I'm a junior in undergrad. My grades are pretty good (3.88), yet, when it comes to the works at the pharmacy, I feel incompetent. I have no clue what drug is for what, how it works, etc. I meant, other people thought of me as a geek but the more I learn, the more incompetent I feel because there are so much to learn. Some older technicians are pretty smart to me. They seem to know every drug yet I can't understand why they don't do well in school. Maybe they don't have confident, I guess. But, I feel so stupid today. I"m not going into detail but let just say I feel like I haven't masted the basics of biology. :(

Members don't see this ad.

shoppe said:
You can't seem to apply what you learn in school in a real pharmacy? I'm a junior in undergrad. My grades are pretty good (3.88), yet, when it comes to the works at the pharmacy, I feel incompetent. I have no clue what drug is for what, how it works, etc. I meant, other people thought of me as a geek but the more I learn, the more incompetent I feel because there are so much to learn. Some older technicians are pretty smart to me. They seem to know every drug yet I can't understand why they don't do well in school. Maybe they don't have confident, I guess. But, I feel so stupid today. I"m not going into detail but let just say I feel like I haven't masted the basics of biology. :(

Give yourself some time. Real life is always more complex than school. I can assure you that even if you are a 4.0 GPA geek, if you don't know how to be liked in the workplace you will not get a raise, and you will not get invited to the bosses dinner party. So don't forget to learn some social skills and be kind to people.
The technical stuff will come with time.
I am not a pharmacy tech, but a med chemist. I had to learn many chemicals by name, and how to use them when, and how are they packaged, a lot of silly details. I felt stupid many times. Is a good sign, as long as you feel stupid, you are guaranteed to continue learning.

Relax and stick w/it. With anything, the more you do something the better you will master it. After a couple months, you'll be amazed at how much you know based on repetition alone. A lot of the pharm techs you're working with have been doing it a lot longer than you. Everyone had to start from scratch at one time.