Doomed? Or maybe not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ono

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a terrible, horrible 1.0 GPA. At the end of this semester it will most likely raise but that still puts me at a terrible GPA. This stems mainly from work ethic, over the years I had to learn a lot of lessons about this. I'm highly intelligent, with an IQ of 120. I took a practice MCAT and scored a 20, which is relatively a good score considering that I have not taken Organic chem, Physics II, Microbio, and a bunch of other major courses.

I have the skills necessary for a 4.0. I just need to put them into place. I wish I had when my college career started. Once I have taken all classes represented on the MCAT, a very high score will not be a problem.

How can I possibly get into medical school with such a low GPA? I mean, my scores are the kind they laugh at and throw aside in the admissions room, no matter how good of a medical student I would be.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a terrible, horrible 1.0 GPA. At the end of this semester it will most likely raise but that still puts me at a terrible GPA. This stems mainly from work ethic, over the years I had to learn a lot of lessons about this. I'm highly intelligent, with an IQ of 120. I took a practice MCAT and scored a 20, which is relatively a good score considering that I have not taken Organic chem, Physics II, Microbio, and a bunch of other major courses.

I have the skills necessary for a 4.0. I just need to put them into place. I wish I had when my college career started. Once I have taken all classes represented on the MCAT, a very high score will not be a problem.

How can I possibly get into medical school with such a low GPA? I mean, my scores are the kind they laugh at and throw aside in the admissions room, no matter how good of a medical student I would be.

How many credit hours do you have completed?

Since you are highly intelligent, it shouldn't take you long to figure out why your grades are so low, and to correct the problem. Start getting straight As, and your bad situation will correct itself eventually. If you supply the information PCxX has asked for, and your projected GPA/credit hours for the current term, it will be easier to judge how long it will take.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have about 70 credit hours. My GPA this current term should be anywhere from 2.5 to 3.0, with a possibility of getting more than 3.0. Last term, it was 2.3. The term before, it was a 0.33 (due to personal issues, I had to miss many classes that semester). All of these grades are a lot lower than what I am capable of, I have no choice but to 4.0 the rest of my college career.

The truth of the matter is nobody on SDN is going to tell you that you're totally doomed, no matter how low the GPA. The real question is whether or not you're willing to put the time and extra cash in tuition to fix your problems. A 1.0 GPA after 70 credit hours probably doesn't put you in line to even graduate college in four years, much less be ready to apply to med school. You'll need a LOT of GPA repair time, probably several years of it.

I'll be honest: you're somewhat doomed. Unless a miracle happens, and you get straight A's until you graduate, a super high MCAT (don't count on it, you can't really guess what you'll get), superb ECs, and an amazing story...I see you more than anything doing a post-bacc...

You might consider retaking all the classes where you got a D or F (as a start). The osteopathic med school application service, AACOMAS, will use only the most recent retake to calculate your application GPA. Your GPA will rise faster this way than if you applied through AMCAS, the MD med school application service, which averages all earned grades, or TMDSAS in Texas.

70 units of a 1.0 is virtually impossible to repair completely. Even with a 4.0 for another 70 units you are looking at a 2.5 GPA. That said, start retaking courses now and add a 5th year to your undergrad. Apply to DO schools after time. Also, not to be a dick but having a 120 IQ makes you above average but don't use that as being "highly intelligent". I'd venture to say that almost all doctors have an IQ that high or higher.

Also, don't assume just because you got a 20 on a practice test and haven't taken some of the classes that the MCAT is going to be some cake walk. The MCAT has brutally destroyed the hopes and dreams of many a pre-med student, even those that are "highly intelligent". There is diminishing returns with how many questions you answer correctly on the MCAT, you can get a 5 on each section simply by guessing, missing 3-4 questions will drop you at least a point in bio and phys and will drop you 2-3 points on verbal. Don't make assumptions, get your ass in gear and pray to god you can pull off a 4.0 for the rest of your time in school. After you get your grades above a 3.0cum, focus on the MCAT and then go to an SMP if you are set on getting an MD. Otherwise get your AACOMAS GPA above a 3.3 and get a 30+ MCAT and go the DO route

The only way you can still go to an MD school is that if you complete another 120-140 hours with 85% A's and at least 15% B's. You're GPA should jump from a 2.3 to a 3.65 at least. I'm not sure. I'm just speculating. In your current situation, it will be hopeless, in all honesty. You can still do it. Believe in yourself. Explain what happened to the medical schools.

what? haha. you've got to be joking. yes, you're doomed. just give up. I also doubt you're as smart as you think you are (i mean all of this seriously). maybe you should focus on graduating first. anyone in your situation right now talking about getting into medical school is either crazy or stupid.

I'm going to echo the last two posts. A 1.0 is near impossible to recover from, so yes IMO you are doomed.
And also an IQ of 120 isn't really considered that highly intelligent and its pretty low class to go around brandishing it about.

I have about 70 credit hours. My GPA this current term should be anywhere from 2.5 to 3.0, with a possibility of getting more than 3.0. Last term, it was 2.3. The term before, it was a 0.33 (due to personal issues, I had to miss many classes that semester). All of these grades are a lot lower than what I am capable of, I have no choice but to 4.0 the rest of my college career.

If you truly believe that you can get a 4.0 why do you believe your current grades will warrant a 2.5-3.0. These are very very low grades for someone who says they want medicine as much as you do.

Also, I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe (if you go to a 4 year college) that you have such an abysmmal GPA and have not been placed on academic probation or kicked out.

These factors + 2 posts suggest to me that you are a troll. If you're not, then I'm sorry to offend you but all signs lead that way.

Did your mom tell you that you were highly intelligent and that your IQ is 120??

If you were as intelligent as you claim, then perhaps you would have figured out what the problem is after the first semester and fixed it. Now, you will have to spend 10 semesters of 15 credits/semester and get straight As to fix your GPA. Oh, MCAT is not a game. That test is the mother of all cats. It will scratch the crap out of you if you are ill prepared. :)

Don't give up if medicine is your passion.

Good Luck!!!

Having said that, I don't think a high IQ is detrimental to academic success. Sure, it will definitely make things easier for you. But most physicians that I met have excellent work ethics in addition to their intelligence.

So an IQ of 120, with proper studying ethics, is more than enough to get someone to medical school.