Dopesick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurfingDoctor

"Good news, everyone"
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not really my realm, but you all watching this? What are your impressions?

I very much remember the pervasiveness of drug reps in children's hospitals in the early 2000s (I still have my green Ceftriaxone pen) and very much remember MS Contin, but again, I don't do adult so my experience and recall is limited...

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t watch movies/shows about opioid addiction. They tend to upset me because I’ll think back to the patients that end up in my clinic where my staff tells me in hushed tones that they’re slurring and stumbling or times when a patient fails a Utox and we’re going to have to confront them, and instead of taking on the burden of trying to fix them you learn that you’re better off never seeing them again.

Reactions: 5 users
Just started watching this on Hulu. Really sad to see how Purdue intentionally chose to market Oxycontin in rural areas where coal miners worked. We now see the complete devastation of those communities in nearly every facet of their lives. People are addicted to drugs, their jobs are being lost due to environmental regulations [even though there is a net benefit to this for the planet), etc.

The most eye-opening thing for me on the show has been how openly the drug reps spoke with one another about how they were just there to sell a product at whatever cost. Unique terminology like "breakthrough pain" and "psychic anxiety" were created just to sell a drug/therapy. It really makes me think about these stim reps and what they talk about. Did anyone talk about cluneal neuralgia before PNS? The resurgence of vertebrogenic pain now that there is BVN ablation. The list can go on. Nevro has FDA approval for PDN and while I have seen good outcomes in those patients, do we know the long term effects of 10kHz stim on the CNS? We rightfully maligned unnecessary spinal fusions and talked about their adverse effects down the road... but now that we can do it as pain docs it's ok? Will Minuteman not cause adjacent segment disease?

Idk.. the show has just got me thinking a lot and has given me the healthy dose of skepticism of new therapies that I think I needed.

Reactions: 3 users