do's and allopathic programs in the 5 states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bookworm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello.

i have a question regarding allopathic residency programs in the 5 statest that require the AOA internship for licensure.

is it still possible to match into an allopathic program without matching also into an aoa internship.

for example, can you match into allopathic general surgery in the 4th year.
i looked at the penn state surgery program, and there are quite a few DOs in that program.

but i am wondering, did they all complete an aoa internship then apply for surgery or did they apply in the 4th year,

does this become a problem for licensure for the residency program? i understand that in most places, you get a licence after passing step 3 and completing the intern year. but in PA, can a DO get a licence after completing an allopathic intern year or can they at least get a training permit to complete the residency program.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard its not a problem getting approved. I met several D.O.'s in PA who went straight into residency. Just have to file the application on the AOA website. I haven't looked into it in more detail yet, but that is the least of my concerns at this point.

Bookworm said:
hello.

i have a question regarding allopathic residency programs in the 5 statest that require the AOA internship for licensure.

is it still possible to match into an allopathic program without matching also into an aoa internship.

for example, can you match into allopathic general surgery in the 4th year.
i looked at the penn state surgery program, and there are quite a few DOs in that program.

but i am wondering, did they all complete an aoa internship then apply for surgery or did they apply in the 4th year,

does this become a problem for licensure for the residency program? i understand that in most places, you get a licence after passing step 3 and completing the intern year. but in PA, can a DO get a licence after completing an allopathic intern year or can they at least get a training permit to complete the residency program.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot. :)

I cannot speak about the requirements but all but one of our DOs (we have 1 in each of the first 3 years as Categoricals, 1 doing a lab year out of state; and some first year Prelims) did a rotating internship before joining us as Interns.