DOs and Allopathic Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueJaysFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a quick question. I am a Canadian who would need to complete an allopathic ACGME approved residency in order to come home and practice. My question is which osteopathic medical schools have the majority of preceptors that are MDs as opposed to DOs for the letters of recommendation required for allopathic residencies. I would imagine that schools in more rural settings like Pikeville have a majority DO preceptors whereas more urban schools like KC or PCOM have more MDs?

Thanks for any insight

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I have a quick question. I am a Canadian who would need to complete an allopathic ACGME approved residency in order to come home and practice. My question is which osteopathic medical schools have the majority of preceptors that are MDs as opposed to DOs for the letters of recommendation required for allopathic residencies. I would imagine that schools in more rural settings like Pikeville have a majority DO preceptors whereas more urban schools like KC or PCOM have more MDs?

Thanks for any insight

I really think it doesn't matter since I believe a large chunk of DO students take the USMLE and match ACGME

Hey everyone,

Thanks for any insight

For DO-students who want to match into ACGME, what matters most is taking the USMLE and doing well on Steps 1&2.

bth

Members don't see this ad :)
Which medical school you go to doesn't determine if you'll be able to enter into an ACGME residency or not. It depends on YOU. If you do well on your COMLEX you can get an ACGME residency in anything you want (maybe not neurosurgery - probably need the USMLE) including general surgery. I'm only applying ACGME programs. Btw, you do not need to take the USMLE but it might limit the number of programs you can apply to for residency. Only a small number of programs specifically require the USMLE. Small.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for any insight

I agree with you all too. DO's can specialize in a wide range of specialties. Neurosurgery, dermatology, urology, orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery, ent, and radiology seem to be very competitive. The other medium competitive are general surgery, anesthesiology, and [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]Ophthalmology

Speaking of DO-MD residencies, can someone clairfy the E.R. residency thing?
Please correct me if I am wrong but suposedly all DO E.R. programs are 4 years, while there are some MD progrmas that are 3 years, the rest 4.. If a DO matches ACGME into a 3 year program, wouldnt he still have to complete a preliminary osteopathic internship year anyway, so it would total 4 years? I thought most states, if not all, require DOs to complete that internship year to be able to practice as a DO in that state.

If someone has info on this please post.

Speaking of DO-MD residencies, can someone clairfy the E.R. residency thing?
Please correct me if I am wrong but suposedly all DO E.R. programs are 4 years, while there are some MD progrmas that are 3 years, the rest 4.. If a DO matches ACGME into a 3 year program, wouldnt he still have to complete a preliminary osteopathic internship year anyway, so it would total 4 years? I thought most states, if not all, require DOs to complete that internship year to be able to practice as a DO in that state.

If someone has info on this please post.

Nope, If a DO matches to a 3 year MD EM residency, they do the 3 years. They dont need to do a prelim osteopathic internship year. If a DO wants to practice in those 5 states having done an MD residency they have to fill out some paperwork and get their residency approved. No need to do an extra preliminary year.

....If a DO wants to practice in those 5 states having done an MD residency they have to fill out some paperwork and get their residency approved....

It's not quite that easy to get it approved. There are several other hoops to jump through. But, the basic idea is right. You don't have to do four years.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for any insight

I don't think you need an MD LOR to get an MD residency. You just need LORs.

It's not quite that easy to get it approved. There are several other hoops to jump through. But, the basic idea is right. You don't have to do four years.

From everything I've heard, it's fairly easy, especially in a specialty like ER or IM where your intern year you spend rotating in those core areas anyway. Are you saying there's more to it?

From everything I've heard, it's fairly easy, especially in a specialty like ER or IM where your intern year you spend rotating in those core areas anyway. Are you saying there's more to it?

Yes. You have top be an AOA member in good standing. You have to fill out the application. Then, you have to have your GME office send in a breakdown of your OGME-1 year for comparison.This is where the problem often occurs because the requirements may differ from your program and you may not wish to spend all of your elective time meeting the requirements. Buy it is much easier than previously because the AOA now will comare them against a specialty training year as well, instead of just a traditional rotating internship. Next, you have to do one of three different educational activities and submit proof to the AOA for approval. Finally, you wait a while because the committee only meets 5 times a year.

They like to make note of the fact that most people are approved. Yet, the reason most people are approved is that the people that don't feel like going through all the motions just don't apply in the first place.

Why are DO's interested in doing Allo residencies? Arent you the guys that told the interviewers that your liked theOsteopathic route back when you were applying to Med school? I think you should stick to it!

Why are DO's interested in doing Allo residencies? Arent you the guys that told the interviewers that your liked theOsteopathic route back when you were applying to Med school? I think you should stick to it!

It has nothing to do with the "Osteopathic route." It has to do with numbers and location. There aren't nearly enough osteopathic residencies for all the osteopathic students who graduate every year. The ones that are available are usually concentrated in the mid-west with some sprinklings in the northeast and west. People who want to move closer to family after med school will opt for an MD residency because there probably aren't DO residencies close by.

USMLE scores and LORs will help you get into a good allopathic residency, at the school I am going to, recent graduates got into residencies at some pretty impressive university based programs, so it is indeed possible to get a good MD residency as a DO. I know Canada is generally a bit stricter towards DOs in that some provinces will only grant you full practice rights if you completed an MD residency.

USMLE scores and LORs will help you get into a good allopathic residency, at the school I am going to, recent graduates got into residencies at some pretty impressive university based programs, so it is indeed possible to get a good MD residency as a DO. I know Canada is generally a bit stricter towards DOs in that some provinces will only grant you full practice rights if you completed an MD residency.

Alberta Unlimited. LMCC, COMLEX, USMLE, accepted for licensure.
British Columbia Unlimited. LMCC, COMLEX, USMLE, FLEX, NBME accepted for licensure.
Manitoba Unlimited. US license recognized
New Brunswick Unlimited. LMCC, COMLEX, accepted for licensure. DOs registered in Maine accepted for licensure.
Newfoundland Pending. Currently under review
NW Territories Unlimited. US license recognized
Nova Scotia Unlimited. LMCC and COMLEX accepted for licensure.
Ontario Unlimited. LMCC, COMLEX, and USMLE accepted for licensure.
Prince Edward I Restricted. No provision for US DO
Quebec Unlimited. 1 year GME in Quebec & French fluency required. LMCC and COMLEX accepted for licensure
Saskatchewan Limited. OMM only
Yukon Territory Unlimited. US license recognized

From Wikipedia: Osteopathic medicine in Canada

Touro's CA 2009 match list looks pretty sweet and even some of the previous years looked real good. They had a graduate get into Surgery at UCSF, solid. About a third of Touro grads got into CA residencies, pretty good for a DO school.