DO's and neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ribcrackindoc

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand that there are only about 120 neurosurgery slots per year and just a handful of osteopathic sponsered residencies. If I'm a DO student and I want to go into neurosurgery, how do I do it? Which neurosurgery residencies have accepted DO's in the past? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
ribcrackah
 
UC Davis has a current DO NS resident, and the Chief a couple of years ago was a DO. I think University of Arkansas has a DO NS resident. Good luck with your search let me know what you learn. also look for ryan on here he's a current DO NS resident.
 
UMiami/Jackson is pretty friendly..at least they've taken DO fellows in the nsurg department...RBar (SDN username) is also a good source to tap into
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long Island Jewis/NSUH is a solid program. It is one of our NYCOMEC residencies. I will be observing surg over at LIJ next week.
Just an aside Anders Cohen, DO is finishing up the neurosurgery residency program this year and he is the 1st osteopathic physician to have landed a job as a neurosurgeon in the city of NY.

Follow this link if you want more info:

http://www.lij.edu/lijh/neurosurgery/residency.html
 
I'm interested in surgery, espically neuro surg. The question that I have is that I have is what do I need to do besides getting good grades and a good COMLEX to be competitive for NS residency spot?
 
The impression I have gotten is that you should probably also take the USMLE, in addition to the COMLEX. Also, in neuro, research/publication appears to be important. I expect to have to try and do a rotating clerkship to any school that I hope to have a shot at. Luckily, I have two residencies right in my backyard if all else fails, but I would like to get away.

Also, I hear a lot about "AOA honors". What are they, and how do you get them? I have been to the website, and it seems as thought it is relatively prestigious. Do you have to be nominated by your school?

Thanks
 
AOA is an allopathic honors society that one must be in the top 25% of their class to be nominated for. You could, however, be top 25% and not be nominated. Anyway, osteopathic schools don't have AOA, so just get good grades.
There are quite a few DO neurosurgeons out there if you do a google search. BTW, the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons is very enthusiastic about recruiting new surgeons of all sub-specialties. I would recommend looking into one of their summer preceptorships. Im sure you could set something up, just don't take my spot😀
 
I recently learned that 3 people from my class matched into osteopathic neurosurgery programs...2 out of the 3 I know are very strong students..the third is questionable but still managed to gain a spot...so if you really want it...there's hope for you