DOs in Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ Doc 1117

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I know the question about DOs having lower chances at certain residencies has been posted and answered 10,000 times, and the answer is clear.

However, I'm wondering if DOs also have lower chances of going on to certain fellowships. For example, I really like cardiology. DOs do fairly well matching with IM residencies, but what about getting a card fellowship? (In stats language, I suppose what Im asking is: given an IM residency, what are the chances of a DO getting a cards fellowship). Any insight onto cards specifically or other fellowships is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The bias is still there but it is less so than what you see with residencies. IM residencies range from not competitive (ID, Nephro) to very competitive (GI and cards although cards is less so than GI). Your ease of getting a cardiology fellowship greatly depends on the residency you go to. People have matched cardiology coming from community programs but it is more difficult than applying out of a mid-tier university program for example.

If you know that you really want a certain fellowship it is beneficial to go to a program that has them in house.

Reactions: 3 users
Almost all hinges on where you went to residency, so it's indirectly discriminatory

Reactions: 1 users