DOs in major cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtOfWar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do osteopathic physicains have trouble finding positions in large hospitals in major west-coast cities: Seattle, Portland, etc.? I'm considering Emergency med or becoming a hospitalist (IM) and would like to live and practice in a large city at least for the first few years. Ideally I would like to do a residency in these areas as well. I understand that matching and finding a position in a major city is difficult for everyone but how much harder is it for a DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please do a search, this has been asked over and over. Lots of DO's on the West coast. You can get a job anywhere as a DO. Need to be board certified in your field. Residency is a different conversation and many times you don't have the luxury of choosing your location. But after that you can work where ever you want.

Do osteopaths have trouble finding positions in large hospitals in major west-coast cities: Seattle, Portland, etc.? I'm considering Emergency med or becoming a hospitalist (IM) and would like to live and practice in a large city at least for the first few years. Ideally I would like to do a residency in these areas as well. I understand that matching and finding a position in a major city is difficult for everyone but how much harder is it for a DO?

Utilize this search engine to find out http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/Pages/find-a-do-search.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
An FYI for the future, it's osteopathic physicians or DOs... not osteopaths. That term is antiquated and isn't favored anymore.

Reactions: 4 users
An FYI for the future, it's osteopathic physicians or DOs... not osteopaths. That term is antiquated and isn't favored anymore.
This. In the UK there are DOs and there are osteopaths. osteopaths are quacks, and DOs are medical doctors. HUGE difference. if you start writing in your applications that you want to become an osteopath, it shows you haven't done your homework on osteopathic medicine

Also, Dude, "osteopath" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Osteopathic physician," please.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, Dude, "osteopath" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Osteopathic physician," please.
Walter, this isn't the guy who built the railroads here or came up with craniosacral therapy....

Reactions: 1 users