DOs in Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMC123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious to know if there is any DO resident in the field of Pathology? I have some questions I would like to ask, so please message me.

How competitive is the field as a DO, considering there are no AOA residencies?

What is the average salary in this field?

Is the field oversaturated? What is the future job outlook?

Is COMLEX sufficient for residencies, or is USMLE recommended?

I keep reading something about a internship year being a problem to get a AOA certification, especially in the five states. I was wondering if you had any information on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any programs that consider an applicant that has only taken the comlex?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about individual programs. I do know many MDs have no idea what kind of scale is used for the COMLEX. If you're at a stage where you can still do so and you're considering pathology as a DO, I'd urge you to take the USMLE as well.

Are there any programs that consider an applicant that has only taken the comlex?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SDN Mobile

I heard it was program dependent, maybe region dependent. There are DOs in pathology. I trained with one and some of my attendings are DO.

Multiple (Mayo) residents are DO's and I know at least one of them did not take the USMLE.

We (William Beaumont) currently have one DO attending and one DO resident. I believe a couple of the previous residents might have been DOs as well.