1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

DOs in Radiology

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by michaely, Apr 15, 2002.

1. michaely

michaely New Member

What should you do to increase your chances of being matched into a radiology residency? Do personal contacts help a lot, or are all places filled via the match?
    thanks

Henrik

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jim Picotte

Jim Picotte Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I can only speak for the allopathic radiology programs, and only for about 17 of them in the Midwest but none offered a prematch contract to any DO or FMG. There is an abundance of applicants for radiology so as far as I know they go through the match for all the positions (although some places hold a slot for a person who already has a PhD or is a physician for research).

The DO radiology programs probably do offer positions outside the DO match.

Personal contacts are always helpful. Although it pains me to say it, I think the best thing you can do to assure yourself a match in radiology is to score very high on Step I and Step II. There are so many applicants for each spot, most programs screen their applicants for interviews via the Step scores.

There's a lot of future radiologists in this forum so I'm sure you'll find some help. Also try to find a 4th year at your school the matched into radiology and pick his/her brain. Good luck.

4. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by michaely:
    <strong>What should you do to increase your chances of being matched into a radiology residency?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pags' quick version:

1) High Step I and II USMLE's (&gt;230)
    2) Top 1/4 of class
    3) Excel with clinical grades
    3) Not good, but Great letters of recs, 1 to 2 from relatively important radiologists.
    4) "Get along" type of attitude during interviews.
    5) Do rads elective at places where you wish to be a resident.
    6) Research in radiology, a very big plus, but not essential.

If you have all this, even a DO should get a spot.

Personal contacts always help, but not essential for matching.

Most spots are currently filled via the match. However, some spots are filled outside. This is very program dependent.