DOs returning to Canada for practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineedauniqueusername

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a canadian citizen who got accepted to a DO school recently. I am planning on returning to CAnada eventually, likely AFTER get full training in the USA within the specialty of my choice. I was wondering what the process is. IS it the same as US MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, also a Canadian applicant this yr. Having spoken with a few residents and attendings who have/plan to come back up to Canada, the process depends on the specialty. This is assuming we're talking about someone who has already done a US med degree (MD/DO) + an ACGME residency. The reason its dependent is because there are differences in training length. EG. for family med its easy and reciprocal because US residency is 3 yrs and Canadian is 2 yrs. For others, where the training is less in the US (eg. neuro - 4yrs in US vs 5yrs in CAN), you would just need to make up the year, usually through a 1yr fellowship. There's a little more to it for specialties (like a couple more exams), but its not too bad from what I understand. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM, would be happy to discuss :)