DO's where did u match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shortbread9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ill be in your shoes a year from now...so let me know how it all went for you. Congrats

Members don't see this ad.

Morristown Memorial/Atlantic Health in Morristown, NJ = my #1

IMHO best program in Jersey! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
UMC-Las Vegas (new program), my #1!

University of Florida-Gainesville

UT-Southwestern.....#1 choice.

drdrtoledo said:

Where did you go to med school at?

Halcyon said:
UMC-Las Vegas (new program), my #1!
Hey, welcome to Vegas!
If you ever get the itch to help out a poor struggling EM interest group*, go ahead and PM me! :D

*OK, we're not poor and struggling, we're new and getting our feet wet. :rolleyes:

Indiana University (my #1)

-Robb

Washington U St Louis (i.e. "the Washington Manual") I can't believe they even interviewed me, much less matched me. Go D.O.'s

Oh yeah a classmate of mine matched at Vanderbilt in Gas also, impressive.

Best Wishes

The Mish

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas Tech my #1

jacksonville at U of Florida

SUNY Upstate (Syracuse)

Stats for me:
COMLEX (Step 1) 590
COMLEX (Step 2) 560

We matched a guy into plastics at UMASS (holy $hit!!!! :eek: ) Go DO's!!

COMLEX I 715
COMLEX II 724

USMLE I 232/94
USMLE II 262/99

Applied to 40, interviews offered at roughly 33, 15 done
matched 3rd choice of 15, University of Iowa

We matched a guy into ortho at Medical College of Georgia!! :eek:

And what this tells me is that students have NO idea what the **** they are talking about. Getting a guy into ortho and plastics means they deserved it, and all the idiotic bull**** about "DO this" and "FMG that" and "don't bother - it won't happen" is defeatist and ipso facto not true - it may be more difficult, but it can be done. People get what they deserve, and that's why I am proud to claim my DO colleagues to be my colleagues - period.

bulgethetwine said:
Iowa. Nice in the Winter.

After terrential flooding and months of 100+ degree weather where my central air won't even cut off at night, I am very happy to be headed to the great white north! I hate heat!!!! I like warmth, as in southern California warmth, but no sauna! I have heard Iowa has a month or two of hot weather but I know it can't be what we get here in Texas.

Congrats on the match, nice work everyone! :thumbup:

drdrtoledo said:

Congrats on the Morristown appointment. I wound up matching at my number one, but I did rank Morristown fairly high. Quite a solid little program they have going there and Dr. Shih is the man. I grew up not too far from Morristown and let me be the first to say that it's the $hit! Not too far from NYC, lots of money/very exclusive, and very safe. If you're not from Jersey, do yourself a favor and drive around the northern part of the state and you can throw it in all the Jersey-haters faces. Nice going!

As far as I know everyone as OSUCOM who wanted EM matched to one either DO or MD.

My stats:
Comlex I 739
Comlex PE Pass
Comlex II I will let you know after tomorrow
Usmle step I never took it
Usmle Step II 99/250
PHI Kappa PHI (My school's version of allopathic AOA)
Top 10% of class
Undergraduate research published x2 (neither as primary author)
Two "Honors" grades from allopathic rotations
One great letter of reference, two lukewarm

I think that me being a DO and having only one great LOR from a virtual nobody hurt me a little, but I still got great interviews and a great match.

Hopes this helps any third years interested in Em.

Best Wishes

The Mish

Back34 said:
Congrats on the Morristown appointment. I wound up matching at my number one, but I did rank Morristown fairly high. Quite a solid little program they have going there and Dr. Shih is the man. I grew up not too far from Morristown and let me be the first to say that it's the $hit! Not too far from NYC, lots of money/very exclusive, and very safe. If you're not from Jersey, do yourself a favor and drive around the northern part of the state and you can throw it in all the Jersey-haters faces. Nice going!

Thanks so much! I am glad you got your number 1 but it would sure be fun to have someone on the board match with me. I am born and raised in NJ and only left for the 4 years of med school at OUCOM. Ohio was a great learning experience and I honestly wouldn't trade going to this school if I could do it all again. But it's time to go back to Northern NJ!

MMH is in the perfect location (for me).. close to NYC, and I get all the penetrating trauma I could ever want during my trauma months at University Hospital in Newark without having to be based there. And Shih is the daddy mac with Allegra and Szucs not far behind. Thanks again and congratulations right back at you! :D Drexel is a great program.

I just received our schools match list. We matched 12 into EM this year and 1 EM/IM:

1 SUNY Upstate (me!!)
1 UMASS
2 St Lukes-Roosevelt
3 Buffalo
2 NY Hosp/Queens
2 LIJ
1 Wright State

1 Christiana EM/IM

Go NYCOM class of 2006!!

(**note** I only have the allo list. I know we match people into some good osteo EM programs as well, but I don't have the numbers yet)

When I was at St. Luke's Roosevelt I noticed everyone in their class pictures was listed as M.D's... not a single D.O.! Don't get me wrong.. there was no anti DO feeling at all. Pretty interesting that your class got 2 in one year!
Some schools just list everone as M.D's... maybe Roja can shed some light on this.

drdrtoledo said:
When I was at St. Luke's Roosevelt I noticed everyone in their class pictures was listed as M.D's... not a single D.O.! Don't get me wrong.. there was no anti DO feeling at all. Pretty interesting that your class got 2 in one year!
Some schools just list everone as M.D's... maybe Roja can shed some light on this.

I believe St Luke's had 1 DO, that person may have graduated last year. Both of the students who match there this year were very good students. I know that many of us also had the opportunity to speak with the program director during the SAEM conference in Manhattan last year. He seemed like a great guy...very nice. I think we matched 2 because those 2 students were both good....and happened to both be from NYCOM.

Memorial Hospital
York, PA

I matched at Detroit Receiving Hospital. Don't recall seeing any Michigan programs out there, so I thought I'd contribute!

V.D. said:
I matched at Detroit Receiving Hospital. Don't recall seeing any Michigan programs out there, so I thought I'd contribute!

Admittedly this is odd. Michigan has legislation that requires all DO's entering any residency program to have completed a traditional osteopathic internship first. So my guess is you must be an intern right now or already boarded in another specialty perhaps. If you are somehow a medical student let us know how you landed a PGY1 position without the DO internship. I specifically had to forgo any thoughts of going to Kalamazoo for this exact reason otherwise I would have loved to have considered this program. Detroit receiving is not dually accredited is it?

corpsmanUP said:
Admittedly this is odd. Michigan has legislation that requires all DO's entering any residency program to have completed a traditional osteopathic internship first. So my guess is you must be an intern right now or already boarded in another specialty perhaps. If you are somehow a medical student let us know how you landed a PGY1 position without the DO internship. I specifically had to forgo any thoughts of going to Kalamazoo for this exact reason otherwise I would have loved to have considered this program. Detroit receiving is not dually accredited is it?

I spoke to Kalamazoo last week at a residency fair, along with several other Michigan programs. The only reason you are required to do the internship year is if you plan on moonlighting while in residency and/or getting a job in Michigan after your training is complete.

Otherwise, you may enter the residency without an internship. Obviously the lack of the right to moonlight is a major concern, even though there are a number of residencies that prohibit moonlighting anyway.

OSUdoc08 said:
I spoke to Kalamazoo last week at a residency fair, along with several other Michigan programs. The only reason you are required to do the internship year is if you plan on moonlighting while in residency and/or getting a job in Michigan after your training is complete.

Otherwise, you may enter the residency without an internship. Obviously the lack of the right to moonlight is a major concern, even though there are a number of residencies that prohibit moonlighting anyway.

Sorry, I should have clarified: I am currently a traditional rotating intern (I know- not too many of us left!). I am planning on practicing in Michigan in the future, so I was obligated to do the internship. In terms of what is required, OSUdoc08 is right: An osteopathic internship is not required to get into a residency, but it is required to practice in the state of Michigan (and Pennsylvania and the other 2 or 3 states…) when you get out. I do know of some 4th year DO students who were applying for allopathic spots in Michigan and were planning on leaving the state after their residency. I’m not sure how they ended up doing, but I will add that a few ER program directors in the D-town area advised that most DO’s have a better shot at a competitive residency if they have an internship under their belt. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Sorry VD and OSU, but I am going to stick to my guns until you can prove me wrong. I had a very detailed conversation with Dr. Overton, the PD at Kalamazoo and this was his description of the issue. Michigan is one of the 5 states to require a DO internship to practice. But it goes further than that even. Michigan is by far the most difficult state for a DO entering an ACGME program because even in order to obtain any license as a DO in an ACGME residency, you need the internship requirement to be met. This evidently makes it impossible to accept an ACGME internship (part of any ACGME residency) position because you cannot obtain the license (required by year 2 of residencies simply to remain in the program). This is not a moonlighting issue but a requirement of the institutions and the residencies for their residents to get a permanent license while still residents. There is a training license for DO's in DO residencies but it will evidently not be given for a DO in an ACGME residency if they have not already completed a DO internship. Call Dr. Overton if you don't believe me. He flat out said that he knew no way to allow a DO into a PGY1 position in Michigan. He said he wished it coudl happen but that the laws were specific. He said he has only taken DO's as PGY2's.

Pennsylvania for instance doesn't require DO's in ACGME residencies to obtain a license

I agree with corpsman I got a e-mail from henry ford that they would love to interview me but coudn't because I had to do an AOA internship first, but they would love for me to reapply next year. I called their EM secretary for clarification and the explanation matched Corpsmans exactly.

If I have learned one thing in this life its never doubt yourself, Corpsman, or Dr.Mom. Just my $0.02

Best Wishes

The Mish

I had the same experience as Mish. I actually did research at Henry Ford and had a letter of Rec. from Dr. Rivers (their research director who is well known for his Early Goal Directed Therapy Research in Sepsis). He also told me he would get me an interview. They said because I did not have a trad. internship I could not interview there and apply next year. Nothing to due with moonlighting.

sort_timer said:
rochester, ny. my #1.

My buddy is gonna be there starting EM as well are you from LeCom?

Oh and to follow apollyon's love fest.. I consider you my colleagues too. I think the people who think differently are probably the pre-med(pre-do) people and 2nd yrs.

Its all good..

*Group hug* ahhh that felt good..