double apply general and plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piacere714

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told that if you are planning to apply to general surgery and plastic surgery that you shouldnt apply to both specialties at the same institution/program. Thoughts/opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

There are people who think that the GenSurg guys will somehow find out that you also applied to their PRS program. They might.

The bigger issue is strategic applications. When I applied to GenSurg, I didn't apply to any programs that had INTEGRATED Plastics residencies. My opinion (based on what I saw at my school and my away) was that GenSurg residents at a program with Integrated Plastics won't get the same interest from the Plastics faculty because they're preoccupied with their own residents. Conversely, I made sure that every GenSurg application was to a place that had a Traditional/Independent Plastics program.

Fortunately, I matched Plastics, so the point was moot. (Good thing, too, I hate GenSurg and wouldn't have made it through).

Maximize your chances to match:
1. Get great letters from known PRS Chairmen/PDs
2. Rotate at at least one program besides your home institution
3. Apply broadly. I applied to every program except for the ones in NYC and LA. I just couldn't see myself being happy living in those two cities for six or seven years.