Double billing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got my wisdom teeth out. I asked for some sedation for the procedure because all 4 of my teeth were impacted, and the dentist charged me $500 for "monitored sedation" for giving me some PO benzos. Can they really charge you money to monitor you while also doing the surgery at the same time? It kinda seems like double billing. Not to mention, she didn't have me on any monitoring equipment, and she had absolutely no airway or resuscitation equipment around anywhere if there was a complication.

My insurance covers the surgery but not the anesthesia. Should I pay the $500 bill or dispute it? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

So I got my wisdom teeth out. I asked for some sedation for the procedure because all 4 of my teeth were impacted, and the dentist charged me $500 for "monitored sedation" for giving me some PO benzos. Can they really charge you money to monitor you while also doing the surgery at the same time? It kinda seems like double billing. Not to mention, she didn't have me on any monitoring equipment, and she had absolutely no airway or resuscitation equipment around anywhere if there was a complication.

My insurance covers the surgery but not the anesthesia. Should I pay the $500 bill or dispute it? What do you guys think?

How out of it were you? When I had my wisdom teeth out i was on a simple heart rate/ bp monitor....however, if it was hooked up after sedation i wouldnt have remembered....even though i wasnt under general.

They can charge whatever they want. Whether you pay it or not is a different issue. Were you actually monitored with anything? Are you sure they didn't put a pulse ox on? If truly all you got was PO meds and absolutely no electronic monitoring of any kind, I wouldn't pay it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch. I think you're stuck. If you were monitored you may not remember. Can't hurt to ask her.

I bet there was a code cart somewhere, don't they have to have one?