Double Board!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parmiss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one.
I am currently a PGY-2 in internal medicine , planning to do neurology after finishing my residency in IM. Do you know if good neurology programs consider this as an extra point?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello every one.
I am currently a PGY-2 in internal medicine , planning to do neurology after finishing my residency in IM. Do you know if good neurology programs consider this as an extra point?

I suppose having done IM residency couldn't hurt, but I don't think the top programs look upon this as a major plus. I considered this for a brief moment in med school, but quickly gave up on the idea. I think it's a waste of time, b/c you will be busy doing one or the other. I would suggest scrambling into a decent program and save yourself a year of IM if you really like neurology. I think you can double board with two years of IM and three of neuro anyway.

Good luck.

Dunno which programs consider it an extra point. I know University of Vermont have one resident that did IM before neuro. also UTSW do. I liked both programs. Loved UTSW. both are very flexible & you can gear your experience to what you like. I'm ranking them both and I think I'd get good training at either.

Part of me wishes that I could have done both residencies. but I've decided on a different combo and I think I'm happier.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not participate in match this year since I was not sure If I want to do neurology after completion of my IM residency. Any way, do you think that I may have a chance to find a spot in post match this year?

S

Last edited: