Quantcast

Double Board!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parmiss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello every one.
I am currently a PGY-2 in internal medicine , planning to do neurology after finishing my residency in IM. Do you know if good neurology programs consider this as an extra point?

Astrocyte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one.
I am currently a PGY-2 in internal medicine , planning to do neurology after finishing my residency in IM. Do you know if good neurology programs consider this as an extra point?

I suppose having done IM residency couldn't hurt, but I don't think the top programs look upon this as a major plus. I considered this for a brief moment in med school, but quickly gave up on the idea. I think it's a waste of time, b/c you will be busy doing one or the other. I would suggest scrambling into a decent program and save yourself a year of IM if you really like neurology. I think you can double board with two years of IM and three of neuro anyway.

Good luck.

Wheezy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dunno which programs consider it an extra point. I know University of Vermont have one resident that did IM before neuro. also UTSW do. I liked both programs. Loved UTSW. both are very flexible & you can gear your experience to what you like. I'm ranking them both and I think I'd get good training at either.

Part of me wishes that I could have done both residencies. but I've decided on a different combo and I think I'm happier.

parmiss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not participate in match this year since I was not sure If I want to do neurology after completion of my IM residency. Any way, do you think that I may have a chance to find a spot in post match this year?

md2bny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
S

Last edited: