Double jeopardy GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartsink

Medical student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While completing my first degree in college, I took intro bio 1 and intro chem 1 (comparable to first of a 3-quarter series) but then i took nothing else as I was doing a B.A. and it didn't require any more. I aced both classes and never looked back.

Several years later (~present day) I've taken the gen chem sequence again from the start (all three quarters in a row) as well as the first quarter of bio, again.

I read that many schools will not take "replacement" grades when you take the same class twice. I didn't really take this to replace my grades as much as I took them to have a relevant and recent knowledge base of the material to work off of.

If this is the case, will schools take my first "intro bio/chem" class grades, or will they take the one that was in series several years later? Would both grades be used, or do you think one will be tossed out?

Members don't see this ad.

Schools will see both takes because you have to report all classwork. MD schools will count both takes in GPA calcs. For DO schools you have the option to designate these classes as repeats, or not. So you can keep those A's.

Wanting to retake prereqs after a few years isn't going to confuse adcoms. In particular, if the class title/description is different, the retakes won't stand out.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user