Doubts about going to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So are there any success stories? Any medical student, resident, fellow, or attending willing to defend their profession???

Plenty... The people who are happy with the profession are the ones that keep quiet and say nothing. The ones who doubt their career choice are the only ones you ever hear.

I grew up with a family of doctors... literally... I have 2 uncles who are specialized cardiologists (MD), 1 uncle who is a DDS, an aunt who is a dental hygienist, my dad is an anesthesiologist, and extended family in internal med, orthopedic, etc. They have all had a fair share of ups and downs but for the most part all still love their career choice. My family lives comfortably and I can say I live a more privileged life than many of my peers. I've brought up wanting to go into medicine with my dad's partners and just like many others.. have gotten the response of "why? do something else" and "don't go into medicine". The way I see it, make the best of any decision you make. Hating, doubting, questioning, etc. your choice won't make you feel any better. My dad has told me many times to instead of thinking of "how it could be better" think of "how it could be worse". It makes it easier for me to get over my problems and move forward.

As for mac... definitely be firm in your decision to pursue a career in medicine. Any sign of doubt will definitely haunt you throughout medical school. My older brother was in his second year of medical school when he decided medicine was not for him and withdrew when he realized he wanted to become a dentist. One of my cousins dropped out in his first year at his medical school because he could not see himself as a doctor any longer. You'll waste a lot of time struggling and wondering if you are unsure of becoming a physician.
 
Does anyone know if Nilf is who he says he is? I mean, I could be lying about who I am, too, but his claims carry a lot more water if he's really a doctor.

Read my posts over last 6 years or so, going back to when I was a third year medical student. I am finishing my fellowship at the moment (fellowship is something you after your residency).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wow nilf, thank you for the feedback (honestly) 👍
i'm just going to go ahead and apologize for the idiots i call my peers that keep questioning your credentials
right now i'm near the top of my class at an engineering school and my boss at my internship has already said a bigtime offer is waiting for me (not including signing/performance bonuses), im definitely still in limbo right now - not just because of money, but i mean im one of those who got swept up with obama, and now i feel like a knife is being pushed in my back very slowly
luckily im going to just live it up this year and apply after the next one, but definitely food for thought
 
wow nilf, thank you for the feedback (honestly) 👍
i'm just going to go ahead and apologize for the idiots i call my peers that keep questioning your credentials
right now i'm near the top of my class at an engineering school and my boss at my internship has already said a bigtime offer is waiting for me (not including signing/performance bonuses), im definitely still in limbo right now - not just because of money, but i mean im one of those who got swept up with obama, and now i feel like a knife is being pushed in my back very slowly
luckily im going to just live it up this year and apply after the next one, but definitely food for thought

Don't go to medschool man... You're a star at the moment--use the momentum to propel yourself higher. No matter how bad economy is, talent will always be valued... unlike medicine.

If you go to medschool, you will start from the rock bottom. Your current achievements will mean nothing, zero, zilch, nada. You will LOOSE YOUR TWENTIES. YOUR YOUTH, WHICH YOU'LL NEVER GET BACK. You will be one of the hundreds of mindless drones, TORTURED by four years of mindless rote memorization, used as retractor holders and poop scooper (literally). You will pay with your BLOOD--literally!!! I was cut by a contaminated blade/needle several times during my medical career, and once I had to take anti HIV prophylaxis, and lived in fear for months waiting for the result of HIV test... AND SOME PREMEDS HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL ME A FREAKEN TROLL AND DOUBT ME!??!!! F**K YOU! You don't know S**T...



... don't do it...
 
Don't go to medschool man... You're a star at the moment--use the momentum to propel yourself higher. No matter how bad economy is, talent will always be valued... unlike medicine.

If you go to medschool, you will start from the rock bottom. Your current achievements will mean nothing, zero, zilch, nada. You will LOOSE YOUR TWENTIES. YOUR YOUTH, WHICH YOU'LL NEVER GET BACK. You will be one of the hundreds of mindless drones, TORTURED by four years of mindless rote memorization, used as retractor holders and poop scooper (literally). You will pay with your BLOOD--literally!!! I was cut by a contaminated blade/needle several times during my medical career, and once I had to take anti HIV prophylaxis, and lived in fear for months waiting for the result of HIV test... AND SOME PREMEDS HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL ME A FREAKEN TROLL AND DOUBT ME!??!!! F**K YOU! You don't know S**T...

... don't do it...

zippity..
 
Last edited:
Nilf, thanks very much for your posts.

I'm in the middle of deciding if I really want to go through with the whole medicine thing. I don't want to give up my life and become a specialized craftsman working for the man for barely sufficient salary to pay my debts.

Right now, I'm in a good place. I'm a rising sophomore at a prestigious top 20 university with a near perfect GPA in nothing but science and computer science courses and am on a full-ride with no debt. I'm at the perfect point to bail if I need to. If I wait too long, I'm stuck in this rat race.

If you don't mind answering, how many hours do you estimate you have worked per week for med school, residency, fellowship, and as a physician and how much debt approximately have you incurred?

I'm in the middle of a giant spreadsheet taking into account every expense, tax brackets, hours worked, etc, and right now, finishing my degree with no debt and becoming a high school teacher is starting to look like a sweet gig, 36.5 hrs a week, decent pay, not likely to get pooped on. I don't want to get too philosophical, but I want to enjoy my life. Us premeds have ~60 years before we're worm food. I'm scared that I'll ruin half my short life by rushing into this.
 
Last edited:
I have nearly a 4.0 GPA and a 34 MCAT so I should easily get into an allopathic school.

Eh, don't overestimate yourself. Nice stats, but still.

Turn around, RUN, and never look back.

Don't listen to the dumb premeds who think they'll save the world and to medical students who think that '150K is insane money'... after 10 years of BRUTAL training and quarter of millions of dollars in debt... LOL.

Listen... I got it relatively good... I am about to finish my training and I am aiming at a +400K for a start, 50h/week, no call job. I am clearly an exception.

And you know what? If I could turn the clock 10 years, to this fateful moment when I chose to pursue wicked field of medicine, I gladly would shred my medschool application and toss it off the white cliffs of Dover.

But, but.... you're saying.... "Why are you complaining, you got a sweet deal. Why do you come here to premed board to whine?", you're saying.


Opportunity cost and endured sacrifices. And ever-decreasing reimbursements. Medicine is just not worth it. It's not.

Remember... white cliffs of Dover.

This line of thought is precisely why I'm scared out of my mind to start M1 in a couple of weeks.
 
Turn around, RUN, and never look back.

Don't listen to the dumb premeds who think they'll save the world and to medical students who think that '150K is insane money'... after 10 years of BRUTAL training and quarter of millions of dollars in debt... LOL.

Listen... I got it relatively good... I am about to finish my training and I am aiming at a +400K for a start, 50h/week, no call job. I am clearly an exception.

And you know what? If I could turn the clock 10 years, to this fateful moment when I chose to pursue wicked field of medicine, I gladly would shred my medschool application and toss it off the white cliffs of Dover.

But, but.... you're saying.... "Why are you complaining, you got a sweet deal. Why do you come here to premed board to whine?", you're saying.


Opportunity cost and endured sacrifices. And ever-decreasing reimbursements. Medicine is just not worth it. It's not.

Remember... white cliffs of Dover.

Really Nilf?? What other job you think will give +400K/yr start working 50hrs/wk? Unless you gamble in opening a business or get real lucky and become an executive at a top company. Even then you'll be working way over 50hrs. The ONLY doctors I've met that don't think it was worth it are primary care docs (and only a few). EVERY specialists I spoke to always told me they would do it again if they had to.

Do you know many other residents/fellows/practicing docs that feel the same way you do?
 
I actually made an attempt to simplify life and go and obtain some resume marketability about three years after I got my B.S. by going back to study accounting. I didn't think I'd like it, but it would have given me an answer to my question (after I quit being a science teacher) of what I could do in life. I absolutely hated it. It was totally opposite of my personality, but it was quick and relatively easy and inexpensive to do. I quit going.

Back in high school I became interested (an interest I've held by the way) in law school and only that - law school. I've never been able to really envision myself doing much as an attorney. While in the accounting deal, after my first college degree, I got into law enforcement and most of my peers, those in blue and those in the courtroom, really encouraged me to pursue law school. Quite honestly, I'm fascinated by it and would like to learn more about it, and on top of that I'm told I have a very good chance of getting accepted and potentially getting some money out of the deal short of a down and out LSAT score. I even paid the money and set up an account with LSDAS which I've maintained for nearly two years. I just don't know what my niche would be as a lawyer although the advisor/counselor/interpreter role is comforting to me. I've since gone to work with another agency that has a LE arm, been promoted, and I continue to hear "Man, you ought to be a lawyer instead."

However, for some reason I can't understand Im foolishly attracted to medical things as well, and I want to learn more about that also. The idea of helping people as a physician, PA, or whatever isn't what draws me to it because one can be an altruistic "helper" in any number of noble professions, and I've been involved with three, two of which I've mentioned here. The other (paramedic) was something I did part-time while teaching. Physiology is quite fascinating as is pathophysiology, and I just want to know more about it. Clinically, there are procedures I'd like to perform on people, but like any "handsy" skill once you've done it enough times the process would get old and become just a job. Mostly, in the medical respects, I would just like to be a diagnositician and take what I've learned and use that professionally to treat disease and injury, and I can actually imagine doing this more than I can litigating in a courtroom, and I've been a witness often enough to understand that process.

I mention all this, in a long reply that will go unread, because any number of things can be equally attractive to you in terms of a career. Most people here will tell you that if you can do anything other than medicine then do it. Legal-ese types will often tell you the same thing. If you can imagine doing both then just pick one regardless of what others say to you. Electronic courage yields bold words on message boards. If currently you more realistically see yourself being a physician, an accountant, or a lawyer then choose that route and run with it. You could even undergo a combined MD/JD although you really won't save any time, and there is no career that a combined MD/JD can have that a stand alone MD or JD couldn't have in their respective medical and legal environments. You can always backtrack. You can always stop and redo something. Some "do-overs" are more costly than others, but what does it matter really? You get one life, and largely you learn from experience - through trial and error. It took me four years post-college to enjoy myself. Have fun doing it, and although I encourage you to live a moral and conservative lifestyle, don't regret anything. When you're stressed out, angry, and just ready to just ready to crawl into a hole and pull it in behind you picture yourself in a given occupation. The one that doesn't seem as repugnant is the one should select.
 
The term "YMMV" comes to mind here. Invariably, regardless of how much people try to gain an insight into the profession by talking to residents, physicians, friends, etc.., ultimately, some people will love what they do and others will not. There's really no single profession/program/path of life where this isn't true. IMO, it's wise to consider the cost-benefit ratio of what you're getting yourself into. I think every physician/resident/student will agree that among the costs are high student loans, high stress, long hours (depending on your specialty and stage of training) and the dedication of the best years of your life spent towards training. Among the benefits are financial security in terms of job availabilty (job expansion and growth has outpaced physician demand considerably for the 20 years according to BLS), pay (physicians have been in the upper income bracket regardless of specialty for quite some time and reform efforts most likely will not change this according to projections), personal fulfillment (patient care, research, etc.) and career flexibility. My advice is to weigh each pro/con according to your personal values and how you want your life to be before jumping into a career path simply because it "feels right."
 
Nilf, thanks very much for your posts.

I'm in the middle of deciding if I really want to go through with the whole medicine thing. I don't want to give up my life and become a specialized craftsman working for the man for barely sufficient salary to pay my debts.

Right now, I'm in a good place. I'm a rising sophomore at a prestigious top 20 university with a near perfect GPA in nothing but science and computer science courses and am on a full-ride with no debt. I'm at the perfect point to bail if I need to. If I wait too long, I'm stuck in this rat race.

If you don't mind answering, how many hours do you estimate you have worked per week for med school, residency, fellowship, and as a physician and how much debt approximately have you incurred?

I'm in the middle of a giant spreadsheet taking into account every expense, tax brackets, hours worked, etc, and right now, finishing my degree with no debt and becoming a high school teacher is starting to look like a sweet gig, 36.5 hrs a week, decent pay, not likely to get pooped on. I don't want to get too philosophical, but I want to enjoy my life. Us premeds have ~60 years before we're worm food. I'm scared that I'll ruin half my short life by rushing into this.

To nfgsjklgnsdfkjn:

This is what I did:

Medschool (year 1-2):
Pretty much during every single moment I was either listening to lecture, in lab, studying or worrying and feeling guilty about not studying. Usually the most relaxed parts were right after big exams when we'd go out, and when. But when you look at actual hours it would break down into something around 90-100 hours per week. Not too bad. Sometime there I took step 1 which was a month or so of 16 hours/day of studying.
Medschool year 3:
S**t hit the fan here. Psychiatry was cake, regular 8-5, with 3 hours of studying per day. During internal medicine, surgery, Ob-gyn and even pediatrics I rarely saw or spoke to anybody outside of hospital and was constantly underslept.
Hours: with 110-120 per week(including studying and 'free' weekends).

Sometime during the third year I realized I cannot stand clinical medicine, and not because of hours, but BECAUSE OF PATIENTS.


Also, remember that all of those 45+ year old docs practiced in golden age of medicine, so chances are they will be satisfied. You guys, you will not be so lucky...

My debt: 236 K. I was lucky to lock it at a low rate, but don't count on that.
 
Last edited:
To nfgsjklgnsdfkjn:

This is what I did:

Medschool (year 1-2):
Pretty much during every single moment I was either listening to lecture, in lab, studying or worrying and feeling guilty about not studying. Usually the most relaxed parts were right after big exams when we'd go out, and when. But when you look at actual hours it would break down into something around 90-100 hours per week. Not too bad. Sometime there I took step 1 which was a month or so of 16 hours/day of studying.
Medschool year 3:
S**t hit the fan here. Psychiatry was cake, regular 8-5, with 3 hours of studying per day. During internal medicine, surgery, Ob-gyn and even pediatrics I rarely saw or spoke to anybody outside of hospital and was constantly underslept.
Hours: with 110-120 per week(including studying and 'free' weekends).

Sometime during the third year I realized I cannot stand clinical medicine, and not because of hours, but BECAUSE OF PATIENTS.

Medschool year 4:
Vacation. I have already decided on path, and was doing electives and rotations and such. There is a step 2 which is a relatively minor nuisance. There is another hassle with applications and interviews, which is actually a very demeaning process. But overall you're looking at around 50-60 hours of work and studying. That was the best year in my medical career, (excluding my current fellowship).

Then I started pathology residency, which is very very different from what most doctors do. However, it was around 80 hours/week, including studying. Pathology residents typically have good work hours, but they have to read a lot more than other docs.

Sometime during second year I took step 3--three weeks of intense review, 16 hours/day.

Then toward the end of my residency I started my board prep. It took me a year or so, first several months was just easy readings several hours per day--note that during this time I was working as a full time resident. Overall, 70-80 hours per week worth of work and study.
Then during the last 6 months I started panicking and putting in 16-17 of INTENSE hours/day. It was like studying for step 1 USMLE, but SIX TIMES in a row.
And when I say INTENSE studying, I mean INTENSE. It means taking your notes to the bathroom when you take a crap. I means reviewing flashcards at family dinner. It means dreaming about the exam. It means neglecting your relationships with significant others, family and friends. It means vacations which I never took. It means sacrificing my health and decreasing my life expectancy.



To Takeaguess: Most practicing pathologists I know are satisfied with their jobs. I haven't spoken to radiologists. Every single Ob-gyn resident I've met during my rotations was miserable. Curiously, surgeons seemed happy, except for a few who have already decided that they will quit surgery. I don't know any practicing ob-gyns or surgeons. Internal medicine docs tend to hate their jobs; a female friend is considering quitting medicine. I know bunch of internal medicine, family practice, and pediatrician docs who quit and did pathology residency. One opthalmologist I know through a friend just quit medicine and is starting his own business.
So overall, it's hard to judge this issue with a simple estimation of 'how many happy/unhappy docs you know', because you're not likely to know many people intimately.

Also, remember that all of those 45+ year old docs practiced in golden age of medicine, so chances are they will be satisfied. You guys, you will not be so lucky...

My debt: 236 K. I was lucky to lock it at a low rate, but don't count on that.

The candor is appreciated. Agreed, some are happy/satisfied and probably most aren't. This is across a lot of fields though. I worked in a decent paying sales job with people earning 80-200k and probably 80-90% constantly complained about the job (working 40-60hrs a week).
 
Anyone else having doubts about going to medical school. I love the science behind medicine and the idea of being able help patients. I have nearly a 4.0 GPA and a 34 MCAT so I should easily get into an allopathic school. But every doctor I talk to is unhappy and tells me to stay as far away from medicine as possible. I also hear that with this new healthcare reform its likely doctors salaries and autonomy will be cut in half. My brother got his CPA and is now in law school and I am thinking about following his footsteps because it would be a much better decision financially. Basically I am depressed and confused, I always wanted to be a doctor but I think that with my intelligence and work ethic I can make a lot more money in finance/law fields. I want to know is anyone else thinking of not applying to medical school because of this healthcare reform and uncertain future or am I the only one? It would also be refreshing if someone would list some of the positives of being a doctor since you rarely hear them anymore.



Uh Law school is worse decision than medical school. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3077610

Oh and NILF what other job would you choose besides medicine?
 
Last edited:
To nfgsjklgnsdfkjn:



To Takeaguess: Most practicing pathologists I know are satisfied with their jobs. I haven't spoken to radiologists. Every single Ob-gyn resident I've met during my rotations was miserable. Curiously, surgeons seemed happy, except for a few who have already decided that they will quit surgery. I don't know any practicing ob-gyns or surgeons. Internal medicine docs tend to hate their jobs; a female friend is considering quitting medicine. I know bunch of internal medicine, family practice, and pediatrician docs who quit and did pathology residency. One opthalmologist I know through a friend just quit medicine and is starting his own business.
So overall, it's hard to judge this issue with a simple estimation of 'how many happy/unhappy docs you know', because you're not likely to know many people intimately.

Also, remember that all of those 45+ year old docs practiced in golden age of medicine, so chances are they will be satisfied. You guys, you will not be so lucky...

My debt: 236 K. I was lucky to lock it at a low rate, but don't count on that.

Thanks for you feedbacks. When one decides to quit medicine because it's not for them, do you feel that makes medical school not worth it? Having an MD opens up endless doors and opportunities in the professional world. Pharmaceutical companies tend to place MD holders with NO previous experience directly as medical directors starting at 180K and easily moving up to 250K working 9-5 job (people in pharm with masters degree don't really ever go higher than 150K). And an MD also allows you to easily grow within the industry (my friend who's an MD became an executive making +500K). The pharm industry is just an example; there's also biotech, research, academics, government...

Do you think the golden age of medicine might ever come back within the next 40 years of our career? I heard that throughout history doctors salary has gone up and down with the last high peak around the 80s-90s. Doesn't matter what changes the government or insurance companies make, salaries will always be based on supply and demand. Looking at the forecast for the number of practicing doctors and growing population, it seems that it'll work in our favor.

Also, is pathology a competitive field to get into?

Thanks for you replies
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for you feedbacks. When one decides to quit medicine because it's not for them, do you feel that makes medical school not worth it? Having an MD opens up endless doors and opportunities in the professional world. Pharmaceutical companies tend to place MD holders with NO previous experience directly as medical directors starting at 180K and easily moving up to 250K working 9-5 job (people in pharm with masters degree don't really ever go higher than 150K). And an MD also allows you to easily grow within the industry (my friend who's an MD became an executive making +500K). The pharm industry is just an example; there's also biotech, research, academics, government...

Do you think the golden age of medicine might ever come back within the next 40 years of our career? I heard that throughout history doctors salary has gone up and down with the last high peak around the 80s-90s. Doesn't matter what changes the government or insurance companies make, salaries will always be based on supply and demand. Looking at the forecast for the number of practicing doctors and growing population, it seems that it'll work in our favor.

Also, is pathology a competitive field to get into?

Thanks for you replies

Golden age will never come back. I predict doctor's salaries to decrease around 5% annually, after inflation rate. Eventually they will stabilize around equivalent of around 100K US dollars. If you don't believe, check how much European doctors are making.

Pathology is dirt easy to get into, but it has its own share of problems, the main of which is relatively sucky job market and overproduction of new graduates.

To Brigade4Radiant:

It's hard to tell what else I would do. I would probably combine my knowledge of foreign languages and cultures with a degree in finance or engineering, and then wing it.
 
Last edited:
Golden age will never come back. I predict doctor's salaries to decrease around 5% annually, after inflation rate. Eventually they will stabilize around equivalent of around 100K US dollars. If you don't believe, check how much European doctors are making.

Pathology is dirt easy to get into, but it has its own share of problems, the main of which is relatively sucky job market and overproduction of new graduates.

To Brigade4Radiant:

It's hard to tell what else I would do. I would probably combine my knowledge of foreign languages and cultures with a degree in finance or engineering, and then wing it.

Nilf, What was your motivation to get into medical school?
 
So far I'm enjoying medical school, although it is very tough. You have to make a lot of sacrifices.
 
Having an MD opens up endless doors and opportunities in the professional world. Pharmaceutical companies tend to place MD holders with NO previous experience directly as medical directors starting at 180K and easily moving up to 250K working 9-5 job (people in pharm with masters degree don't really ever go higher than 150K). And an MD also allows you to easily grow within the industry (my friend who's an MD became an executive making +500K). The pharm industry is just an example; there's also biotech, research, academics, government...

Having known several doctors who have left (ie, been terminated) from residency, I can tell you that it is hard to get a medically-related job with just an MD. Pharmaceutical companies are not going to give a doc a job as a medical director unless he has completed a residency, and usually they want board certification and some attending-level experience as well. I personally know several doctors who have good careers with pharm companies, and all were respected practicing physicians (several in academics) before they went over to the pharmaceutical industry.
 
I never said I was willing. I said I wouldn't care. I'm indifferent. Would I take the money? Yes. Would I work with other doctors, join some sort of union-like group, fight the government for my money? Yes, to a point, but I wouldn't skip out on medicine for it.

No offense, but you sound like an idiot. You aren't even in medical school, let alone a practicing physician, but you're saying you'd be willing to earn half of what the lowest paid physician currently makes? You're delusional. Wait until you actually know something about the job and the hell you go through with it before you say how much that's worth to you.
 
Having known several doctors who have left (ie, been terminated) from residency, I can tell you that it is hard to get a medically-related job with just an MD. Pharmaceutical companies are not going to give a doc a job as a medical director unless he has completed a residency, and usually they want board certification and some attending-level experience as well. I personally know several doctors who have good careers with pharm companies, and all were respected practicing physicians (several in academics) before they went over to the pharmaceutical industry.

Yes, I agree with this assessment. Having MD behind your name doesn't mean you are a doctor, as anybody who completed intern year can attest.

In general, getting MD and knowing in advance you are not going to stay in medicine is a bad idea. You'd be better off studying something else.
 
But every doctor I talk to is unhappy and tells me to stay as far away from medicine as possible.

um, I have several family members in medicine who have been practicing for 20+ years. they all tell me the exact opposite.

I do tend to hear similar things to what you said from primary care docs, though. nonetheless, I still want to be a PCP. 🙂

also, even though we missed out on the "golden age" of medicine, that is no reason to quit medicine. if you are quitting medicine in your residency or shortly after, then you DID go into medicine for the WRONG reasons. I know the older ppl on this board say they went into medicine for the same reasons as us..."altruism, wanting to help + cure ppl, etc." but if that were really true, then they would not quit medicine. while pay has gone down some, the way doctors treat and help patients has not changed. doctors now continue to help patients just as much as doctors did in the "golden age." if a decrease in super high salary to just high salary is enough for you to quit medicine, then you definitely went into it for the wrong reasons.

don't let these depressed residents, who initially entered medicine for the wrong reasons, deter you from your future career. although, I suppose it's good to read their posts because then you know if you truly have the right intentions to be a doctor.
 
Last edited:
um, I have several family members in medicine who have been practicing for 20+ years. they all tell me the exact opposite.

I do tend to hear similar things to what you said from primary care docs, though. nonetheless, I still want to be a PCP. 🙂

also, even though we missed out on the "golden age" of medicine, that is no reason to quit medicine. if you are quitting medicine in your residency or shortly after, then you DID go into medicine for the WRONG reasons. I know the older ppl on this board say they went into medicine for the same reasons as us..."altruism, wanting to help + cure ppl, etc." but if that were really true, then they would not quit medicine. while pay has gone down some, the way doctors treat and help patients has not changed. doctors now continue to help patients just as much as doctors did in the "golden age." if a decrease in super high salary to just high salary is enough for you to quit medicine, then you definitely went into it for the wrong reasons.

don't let these depressed residents, who initially entered medicine for the wrong reasons, deter you from your future career. although, I suppose it's good to read their posts because then you know if you truly have the right intentions to be a doctor.

You're missing something. Your priorities change as you go through life. You're probably too young to realize this, but it's true. Somewhere, sometime, you're going to want to enjoy life, when you realize how short it is and how fleeting your youth is.

Altruism and 'wanting to save lifes', I roll my eyes when I hear that. I snicker when I hear the word 'cure'. You won't be able to cure 99% of your cases. The real world of medicine is completely different than you imagine.
 
Last edited:
You're missing something. Your priorities change as you go through life. You're probably too young to realize this, but it's true. Somewhere, sometime, you're going to want to enjoy life, when you realize how short it is and how fleeting your youth is.

I don't want to get into a faith debate here, but...if you believe there is an afterlife and that this life is short and only serves as a test to determine where you will end up after you die, then you will not have your mindset. if you don't believe in an afterlife and are atheist, agnostic, whatever, then you will have your mindset. if I had your mindset on life in general, then I'd probably feel the same way.

Altruism and 'wanting to save lifes', I roll my eyes when I hear that. I snicker when I hear the word 'cure'. You won't be able to cure 99% of your cases. The real world of medicine is completely different than you imagine.

also, I was hesitant to write "cure" but didn't think you'd actually jump me for it. yes, yes, I know. I've been around doctors my entire life.

my family members, who have been doctors for 20+ years, still say they love their job because of the altruism and and wanting to help ppl parts of the job. the ppl who become jaded and no longer mention that aspect of medicine are the ones who never truly wanted to do those things to begin with. either that or medicine was the wrong field for them to enter to help ppl. there are many careers you can enter to help ppl. not everyone is cut out to be a doctor. perhaps you chose the wrong career or at least the wrong medical field. my uncle was an internist once upon a time and hated it. he said he hated dealing with the chronic complications, patients not listening to him, etc. so, he went for a cardiology fellowship and loves the field. while I was younger I thought cardiology would be harder than general practice, it's supposedy easier because you are only dealing with the heart. when you're an internist, there are tons of complications in patients to deal with. it's a mess from what he claimed. for cardiologists, the range of complications have already been isolated down to a heart issue by the pt's PCP. then, of course, the reimbursements in cardiology are much greater than general IM. you have to work worse hours, though, in cards. sooo, everything's a toss up.

personally, I'm definitely content with $125-150k/year, a more normal schedule, and the chance to work with pts of all ages and of all kinds of different complications. having to deal with the heart all the time would bore me. you get to see a bit of everything in general practice!

you're a fellow. you haven't had a minute of real practice yet. you're still getting paid crap, treated like crap, overworked, etc. unfortunately, most premeds don't know real doctors in their personal lives, so they'll listen to ppl like you even though you haven't even entered real practice yet. even if you had a year of real practice, who is the better one to explain the life of a doctor? you or someone who has been doing it for a few decades...HMMMM
 
Last edited:
you're a fellow. you don't know what's it like practicing medicine yet. unfortunately, most premeds don't know real doctors in their personal lives, so they'll listen to ppl like you even though you haven't even entered real practice yet. even if you had a year of real practice, who is the better one to explain the life of a doctor? you or someone who has been doing it for a few decades...HMMMM

:laugh:

I really hope you're not trying to argue that you "knowing real doctors in their personal lives" somehow beats the experience of a gentleman who has completed med school, residency, and is currently rounding out a fellowship personally.

Nilf is one opinion, your doc buddies are other opinions, and the docs I've met are yet other opinions. So basically, we've established that "Your Mileage May Vary" should be hung above the entrance of every medical school in the country, period.

Oh, and I believe in God, but I'd like to think -- with a hat-tip to the writers of House, since I first heard the line there -- that this life isn't simply a test.
 
:laugh:

I really hope you're not trying to argue that you "knowing real doctors in their personal lives" somehow beats the experience of a gentleman who has completed med school, residency, and is currently rounding out a fellowship personally.

Nilf is one opinion, your doc buddies are other opinions, and the docs I've met are yet other opinions. So basically, we've established that "Your Mileage May Vary" should be hung above the entrance of every medical school in the country, period.

okay, fair enough. and if I were you, I would take more to heart what you hear from the docs YOU KNOW, not nilf. he hasn't been through any of the years where you're actually rewarded for your hard work. everyone knows the actual training to be a doctor is terrible. you gain the reward when you finish and are a full-practicing doc. to hear a positive opinion from nilf on his medical career so far would be UNEXPECTED.

Oh, and I believe in God, but I'd like to think -- with a hat-tip to the writers of House, since I first heard the line there -- that this life isn't simply a test.

you just referenced House...I can't even respond to this part of your post now LOL. :laugh: that show is too ridiculous....stopped watching that after season 2 haha
 
you just referenced House...I can't even respond to this part of your post now LOL. :laugh: that show is too ridiculous....stopped watching that after season 2 haha

Gotta admit that it's a decent argument, even if it's from a wildly unrealistic albeit entertaining show. 😀
 
but ONLY IF there is nothing else you could possibly see yourself doing.
I hear a lot of people saying this and I honestly think it's a bit exaggerated.

Sure you could easily pick a job that you love but what if it pays like absolute trash? Do you realize how many people have dreams of opening up their own restaurant and then only to fall flat on their face once they do it because they just can't profit from it? You could easily name a lot more jobs where the money you get out of it isn't enough to ultimately keep you happy even if the work itself you enjoy. So you go down the list and you find a job that you find interesting and would like doing and see if it pays reasonably well. Find something that balances the two between what your interests are and its financial stability. My brother finished 1 year of med school and has even told me he could probably see himself doing something else but that doesn't mean he hates medicine and is only doing it for the money, it's just not THE number one interest. He got straight A's in year 1 and I have no doubt he's going to be a doctor regardless of thinking astronomy is more interesting than medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Plenty... The people who are happy with the profession are the ones that keep quiet and say nothing. The ones who doubt their career choice are the only ones you ever hear.

Didn't see this earlier, but there is a huge amount of truth to this, imo. As with anything else, the most displeased are the most vocal.
 
Thanks for you feedbacks. When one decides to quit medicine because it's not for them, do you feel that makes medical school not worth it? Having an MD opens up endless doors and opportunities in the professional world. Pharmaceutical companies tend to place MD holders with NO previous experience directly as medical directors starting at 180K and easily moving up to 250K working 9-5 job (people in pharm with masters degree don't really ever go higher than 150K). And an MD also allows you to easily grow within the industry (my friend who's an MD became an executive making +500K). The pharm industry is just an example; there's also biotech, research, academics, government...

I'm just curious to know, what do medical directors in the biotech and pharm industry do exactly? Evaluate the health benefit and cost from a drug? What's the difference between a MD in hospital and a MD in a more administrative job? What does one have to do to get a job like that? Do you need an MBA? Is it worth it?

I gotta admit that I was considering business a bit before applying in medical school. Anyway, an advice for those who are still hesitating : give it a shot for a year, and go from there.

Pharm industries look like a good compromise between the two...

Thanks a lot for answering my questions 🙂,
New MD on the Block