Doubts about MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LowlyPremed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation: I switched my major to biology in the second half of my junior year of college and spent an extra year finishing the degree. This is my second year off and I'm only applying to MD programs. Since switching majors, I've done lots of research and has been published but I chose not to apply to MD/PhD programs because I'm not sure about what I want to speicalize in. If I decide to do surgery, then it would be a six year residency after spending 8-9 years in school. I decided to try to figure out what I want to do during my first/second year of med school and then decide if I want to do a PhD. What would you guys do if in my situation? Is it really difficult to get into MD/PhD programs after being accepted to med school? How does the funding work in this case, would they reimburst me for the first two years of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

LowlyPremed said:
Is it really difficult to get into MD/PhD programs after being accepted to med school? How does the funding work in this case, would they reimburst me for the first two years of med school?

1. It is difficult and at some programs impossible to enter the program after 2 years.

2. There are very few programs that reimburst you.

So, it kinda sucks, but you really have to make the decision before you start

I disagree. I think it often depends on the school and how motivated the school observes you to be. I know of many 2nd year medical students who take a hiatus to complete a PhD before returning to finish their clinical rotations, and this is outside of the organized structure. In fact, many MDPhD applicants who do not get into a MSTP choose this route. See especially the Harvard MD vs top 20 MSTP board and the On waitlist at MSTP--PhD or MD board.

The key is to find labs to work in part time in your first and/or second year. (As always, the earlier the better.) Go to MSTP journal clubs. Let your intentions and motivations be known to the MSTP committee. And if you have any doubts between the schools you are considering, call the admissions department and ask.

I hope this helps. And also really consider if you want to be a clinical doctor or do you want to spend 80%+ of your time in a lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
LowlyPremed said:
Here's the situation: I switched my major to biology in the second half of my junior year of college and spent an extra year finishing the degree. This is my second year off and I'm only applying to MD programs. Since switching majors, I've done lots of research and has been published but I chose not to apply to MD/PhD programs because I'm not sure about what I want to speicalize in. If I decide to do surgery, then it would be a six year residency after spending 8-9 years in school. I decided to try to figure out what I want to do during my first/second year of med school and then decide if I want to do a PhD. What would you guys do if in my situation? Is it really difficult to get into MD/PhD programs after being accepted to med school? How does the funding work in this case, would they reimburst me for the first two years of med school?

I've also heard from the physician scientists that I work with that the back and forth structure of the MSTP program isn't as beneficial as doing an MD first and then getting a PhD later on or vice versa. I just don't think I could afford this option after spending >200K on an MD, even with NIH loan repayments for research.

LowlyPremed said:

I met an MD/PhD (from harvard) who was a surgeon at mssm and he seemed pretty young. i don't remember his name but i'm sure you could find him on their site. if he can do it so can you.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound dicky with my earlier post - I really just meant to say it's easiest and most economic to decide to apply MD/PhD. Certainly, it is possible to start an MD program and end up as a physician scientist.

I know of many 2nd year medical students who take a hiatus to complete a PhD before returning to finish their clinical rotations, and this is outside of the organized structure. In fact, many MDPhD applicants who do not get into a MSTP choose this route.

I do wonder, though, how people can possibly handle debt load of going to medical school and getting a PhD without having medical school paid for? I mean, if becoming an MD/PhD meant shouldering ~100-150k worth of debt through the near decade before a first academic position, I don't think I would be upto that challenge. Even entering a program late and paying for the first two years of medical school would be tough.