Downstate High Priority?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cornell2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a high priority hold for downstate this year like in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

yes i'm wondering this too. can anyone help?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a High Priority Letter from Downstate yesterday. I had interviewed on February 17th and they had written in the letter that they have a full class already. I do want to know what High Priority means and if the list is ranked.

So they do have a high priority list :( . So much for writing LOI.

mstalk: I think you can do a search on this topic. There is a thread from last year that says that people on the high priority list were practically in. Downstate even gave people on that list financial info to fill out and everything. I don't think they waste time with you like that unless they are almost certain you will get in. So, congratulations!!! :clap:

Thank you. I didn't mean to disappoint you, but I figured that you would rather know then wonder.
I actually read up on the threads from last year and it does look pretty good. I did get financial aid paperwork ( its one page), but I still always wonder if they are just trying to make you feel better about being on the waitlist or if its really as good as it sounds.
I wish you the best of luck.

yeah i got the high priority list letter yesterday as well. i interviewed in january and they said on my letter the same thing, that the class is full. and they also mentioned on the letter that most applicants on the high priority get in at some point over the summer. on another note, are people here considering DS over the other SUNYs, and if so, what do you think the adv/disadv of the various ones are?

hey did you either of you receive any other correspondance (reg hold?) before the high priority or was it just straight away, high priority?

i got the high priority first thing.

When do ppl get taken off the high priority?

thanks

Hi Vgirl,

didn't you get a regular hold at Downstate? Did they change your status to high priority?

yea i got a regular hold- i was just wondering if there was any movement yet and naturally the high priorities would go first :D sorry for the confusion

By the way Dr. Chiquita- have you gotten in anywhere else and you're just holding out for Downstate? I'm in two schools already but i really would prefer downstate and was wondering if you had any special reasons for wanting to go there.

Did anyone get an email update on their hold status? I just got one today, wondering if it means anything...

Members don't see this ad :)
HI.

Yea i got an email also- it just said that i was still in the hold category and they are going to review ppl in this category by late may and we should hear something by late june.

I don't think it really means anything- i just think they want to where they are at and what they are going to do.

Hope this helps

I got a hold update email as well. Said the same thing.

Bump

has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet?

I heard everyone on the High Priority gets off the list.

Vgirl said:
By the way Dr. Chiquita- have you gotten in anywhere else and you're just holding out for Downstate? I'm in two schools already but i really would prefer downstate and was wondering if you had any special reasons for wanting to go there.

I am posting for someone I really care about. This person is already in at two other med schools as well, but he really really wants to go to Downstate. Reasons? NYC!

Good luck to you, too! And I will post here if he gets any news. As of now, he got that same email everybody got.

Dr. Chiquita, is your friend a NYC resident or out of state? Not to be rude at all to you or your friend, but I want to go to NYC schools because I want to stay near my home and it seems as though everyone else and their mother want to go to NYC schools because of the location. :) This leaves us in-staters in a jam especially since downstate is no longer giving preference to in-staters (atleast not as much as stonybrook for example). Congratulations to your friend on his 2 acceptances! If your friend is in state, then disregard this post of me venting :laugh:

palatanmr6 said:
Dr. Chiquita, is your friend a NYC resident or out of state? Not to be rude at all to you or your friend, but I want to go to NYC schools because I want to stay near my home and it seems as though everyone else and their mother want to go to NYC schools because of the location. :) This leaves us in-staters in a jam especially since downstate is no longer giving preference to in-staters (atleast not as much as stonybrook for example). Congratulations to your friend on his 2 acceptances! If your friend is in state, then disregard this post of me venting :laugh:

My friend is not a NY resident, but he did his undergrad and grad in NYC. Also, his family is trying to relocate to NYC as well to be close to his relatives and such. Totally understand your frustration though. Even if they say they don't give preference to in-staters, I somehow doubt that they will pass up equally qualified in-staters for out-of-staters. Hope you get in along with my friend. :)

Thank you for being understanding Dr. Chiquita... if your friend is half as nice as you, then I am sure he would make a great classmate!

palatanmr6 said:
if your friend is half as nice as you,

Ha! Under-cover G*U*N*N*E*R

Is your "friend" really a she?

Hi mstalk

This is sooo weird.....I interviewed on Feb. 17th at Downstate also. My high piority letter came on April 6th. I called the office today and was told that nothing is ranked. That's all the information they could give me. So now I am confused....is nothing ranked or is the high priority not ranked? :confused:

I guess all we could do is wait and see.
It does say on the letter though that those people who send in their transcripts first and are cleared by the Health Services will get the first spots so maybe thats what they meant.
I read similar things on threads from last year.
I think that by the first days in June someone in this forum will hear and then we'll know for sure.

I interviewed on Feb 25th, and I'm still on post-interview hold.

I was on hold since March, I got a high priority waitlist package today.... I think they start sending out stuff in June because they asked for contact info from june 1 to aug 15.

is there a difference between high priority and alternate list. cause i got some package today and from what my parents said it read alternate list but it has the same forms as all of you on the so called high priority list are talkin about. plus i just called the admissions office. and he didnt mention anything about high priority. the guy said once the class is filled we put people on the alternate list. and those on the alternate list are those students who we unfortunately were unable to give admissions because the class was full. the forms are there because we want to speed up the process in case you are offered admissions. from past years he said most people do get off the alternate list and given admission. and he said the admissions committee will rereview applicants who have turned in the form sayin they would like to stay on the list. and from this list they will offer acceptances if there are openings. he also said it would be wise to turn in your stuff as soon as possible and that if there is something new to your app then also send it. so i dont know what's the deal goin on with this high priority stuff. but from what it seemed there was just an alternate list..who knows..but just tellin you what the admissions guy told me.

bumppppppppp