Downstate vs Morehouse (+ Temple and Emory waitlists)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

14_karat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Morehouse gave me two weeks to decide and I’m having trouble. A couple of months ago, I think I would have easily picked it over Downstate but there are some reasons I’m getting cold feet. I would pick my other two waitlists in a heartbeat, however, as Temple and Emory are both my #1.

Interests: General pediatrics, primary care, child & maternal health, community/urban health, working with black & brown populations, global health

I’m trying to consider heavily my options in light of my interests and which schools come with extra perks that would position me the best to accomplish my career goals.

I know there are no guarantees, but I really would like to stay in the same area/region from med school onwards to properly engage myself in the community and to be able to network and build strong connections.

The differences of practicing as a general pediatrician in each region is something I am also considering for this reason, especially because of loan repayment.

DOWNSTATE

Pro’s
  • 1.5 years preclinical integrated curriculum & P/F grading

• Urban underserved, black & brown, immigrant patient populations

• Strong clinical rotation experience; Students touted that hospital directly serves the surrounding underserved communities unlike some other NYC hospitals

• I have a familiarity with NYC. I prefer major cosmopolitan, worldly cities. So, technically NYC fits my personality a lot. I am originally from New York State and lived relatively close to the city. I also have a couple of friend/acquaintance connections there. (I must add though that having family/friend support nearby to me is not really a big deal. I’ve moved a lot, lived abroad, etc and have always been able to carve circles wherever I’ve gone.)
Con’s
  • It was clear that the culture is very “you are on your own” from the students’ responses even when it comes to the more specialized pathways

• Seems very get your degree and go. Not that much enthusiasm around the institution. Nothing that the students could seriously promote. I am obviously looking for an institution that will greatly allow me to explore my interests. For example, the Health Equity & Advocacy Leadership Pathway was one of my “hopes” that would make me like Downstate more but students could not concretely tell me what they were actually doing. Students also told me that it’s very “well, it’s what you make of it”. All of my other A’s and WL’s have strong draws (dual degree Master programs, robust health equity initiatives, etc) that pull me in their direction in comparison to Downstate

• Many administration and communication complaints

• Matches super regionally to NYC/NYS. Not at all interested in staying in NYC/NY. NYC has a very high cost of living!! Again not something I really want to settle down in, especially with potentially being a general pediatrician paying off 300k+ in loans.

• I had made leaving the Northeast at some point in my life a mission because of the cold weather

MOREHOUSE

Pro’s

• One of the bedrock’s of the black community; lengthy legacy of serving underserved black communities; The opportunities to forge connections with leaders in improving the marginalized black communities; The level of focused community engagement I could have is amazing

• Primary care-oriented and serves urban underserved, black & brown, immigrant patient populations

• Grady Hospital is used for clinical rotations. Speaks for itself so the clinical education is obviously also pretty strong.

• HBCU support system as an incoming black medical student. It felt so nice to watch the warm-hearted family-like interactions between students and faculty on interview day. This was a vibe that has not been matched anywhere else.

• Has certain links & collaboration with Emory SOM

• Being in Atlanta most likely gives it a hand up in terms of public health & global health opportunities

• Atlanta is warmer weather and seems like a very fun city. Also relatively worldly with the diversity and the international airport. It would be very cool to experience a different region and leave the Northeast.

Con’s

• Letter grade preclinicals

• On the opposite side of the spectrum to Downstate, a couple of students complained a little about how that family environment can sometimes feel like a parent & child relationship with hand-holding and hovering

• Having slight cold feet about moving to Atlanta:
    • Southern cities are much more spread out. I would need a car. No question about it.
    • Once you leave the Atlanta metropolitan area, you pretty much remember that you are in the Deep South. I’m sure I would have a culture clash in some respects. (Slower pace of life and more deeply religious, etc. ) Also, it isn’t super close to a bunch of other major cities.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are really set on Morehouse, I would go there. No one cares about preclinical grades, even if it is letter grades.

Reactions: 1 user