DPM 3 yr. residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious, I have heard that all DPM residencies are now surgical 2 or 3 yrs. long. Is it really competitive to get into the 3 yr. ones? I am a pre-whatever student right now(DDS/DMD,DO,MD,OD) b/c I have an interest in all those fields. I have shadowed all of the above and have researched quite a bit about them. I recently have had an interest in surgery but am afraid that if I go the MD/DO route that I might not be able to get into a residency.Also how hard is it to get a job if you do have a 3 yr. residency? I really like procedure based things like surgery as I dont think I would get too bored with my job over the years. Any input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

PharmDr. said:
I am curious, I have heard that all DPM residencies are now surgical 2 or 3 yrs. long. Is it really competitive to get into the 3 yr. ones? I am a pre-whatever student right now(DDS/DMD,DO,MD,OD) b/c I have an interest in all those fields. I have shadowed all of the above and have researched quite a bit about them. I recently have had an interest in surgery but am afraid that if I go the MD/DO route that I might not be able to get into a residency.Also how hard is it to get a job if you do have a 3 yr. residency? I really like procedure based things like surgery as I dont think I would get too bored with my job over the years. Any input would be great.

Not too difficult to get a 3 year residency right now. There were 89 3-year spots open AFTER the match this year. Meaning, there are more residencies than students right now. The trend is moving in the other direction since applications are going up now, which won't be felt for 6 -7 years. I imagine that 3 year residencies will be the standard for all DPMs before long.

Jobs are good too. I know a 3 year program in Des Moines, IA in which every graduate has gotten more than $120,000/year + benefits for the past 6 years. They usually sign with orthopedic groups.

Do some more research, but overall, job outlook and salaries are good.

LCR

Thanks diabeticfootdr. Thats good to hear that newly grads out of their residencies have got hired over 100k. That is just my worry that after all that money put into schooling that after becoming a surgeon, that I would only get 75k<. Also, those in the orthopaedic groups, do they only perform surgeries, or are they making 125k plus benefits by performing surgeries and general medical care for the foot?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed about a month ago at CSPM at Samuel Merritt and one of my concerns was the pay for residents. I was told by the residency director that for the 3 year residency the resident received 40K, then 41K and finally 43K(at St. Mary's Hospital). If you want to know the salaries call the schools and they will tell you!

A little off the subject, but PharmDR why do you think you would not be able to get a surgical residency?

Well...for med school I am afraid that if I dont match that I may end up doing FP or OB/GYN. I am interested in FP, but I was just exploring my options with other professions as I am an undergrad still. I am just under the impression that surgical spots are only reserved for the top of the med applicants. I am just afraid that I might not be competetive enough in med school b/c of high competition. I know that I shouldnt limit myself, but there is no guarantee to become a surgeon of any kind.

DRJME said:
I interviewed about a month ago at CSPM at Samuel Merritt and one of my concerns was the pay for residents. I was told by the residency director that for the 3 year residency the resident received 40K, then 41K and finally 43K(at St. Mary's Hospital). If you want to know the salaries call the schools and they will tell you!

Yes, salaries for residents vary from $25,000 to $64,000 -- Which is not bad for RESIDENCY. Graduates from surgical residency programs make a physicians salary - as I stated before.

PharmDr. said:
Thanks diabeticfootdr. Thats good to hear that newly grads out of their residencies have got hired over 100k. That is just my worry that after all that money put into schooling that after becoming a surgeon, that I would only get 75k<. Also, those in the orthopaedic groups, do they only perform surgeries, or are they making 125k plus benefits by performing surgeries and general medical care for the foot?

They all provide some medical care. Even orthopedic surgeons only average 14% of their clinic patients are taken to surgery. Many others are treated medically or physically. I think it's similar for a DPM in an orthopedic group. You would probably concentrate on sports medicine and trauma. You might not be doing any diabetic wound healing.

LCR

diabeticfootdr said:
Yes, salaries for residents vary from $25,000 to $64,000 -- Which is not bad for RESIDENCY. Graduates from surgical residency programs make a physicians salary - as I stated before.

No need to get snippy! I was just stating residency salaries. I was not saying that you were incorrect.

About how much surgery you do percentage wise PharDr....

Once you start any health school you'll realize that as much as you want to do surgery it is very important that you only do surgery when it is needed. There are many patients that are candidates for surgery but that can be healed in other less invasive ways.

In many of my classes the profs refer to surgery as Dr. inflicted stress or trauma.

Your patients will apreciate more that you treat them in the best way for their ailments and then when you do suggest surgery they will trust that that is what is best for them the patient and not just because you don't want to be bored.

Good luck to you in what ever you chose to do.

krabmas said:
There are many patients that are candidates for surgery but that can be healed in other less invasive ways.

In many of my classes the profs refer to surgery as Dr. inflicted stress or trauma.

These kind of statements are usually made by those who are poor surgeons or those who are timid about doing surgery.

A surgical problem should be handled surgically, medical problems treated medically. It's not "rocket surgery"

LCR