DPM (Podiatry)/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone on this board with a little more information about obtaining a combined DPM/PhD? I've posted my questions on the podiatry boards, and at one point was recommended that I come over to this board and talk to you guys.

I've found that in other medical specialties, it is very possible to obtain a PhD either during or after residency. Are there podiatry residencies where you could do this as well? If one was interested in research, would it be wiser to just do a DPM/PhD program as opposed to doing a PhD afterwards?

I would like to get heavily involved in research/teaching as well as practicing clinically.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it, there are few DPM/PhDs, so it might be more high yield to seek them out and contact them for advice. How much research and what kind do you want to do? Podiatry seems like a very procedural specialty, so your skills will diminish with time away in lab. Not saying it can't be done. I'm also not sure the logistics of a basic science or clinical department at a university hiring you and having you practice.

I know of friends who are DPM/PhDs. They are highly sought after by academic programs, esp if interested in diabetes or other regenerative medicine type fields. There are very few of them, so they are unique.